Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Conan The Barbarian: is a DD5.1 track worth it?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R2 France and R4 have a DD 5.1 track and the R1 CE has a DD 2.0 track. Otherwise they are the same disc. Anyone know if the DD 5.1 track is worth choosing the French or Australian release over the US one?
Old 07-10-03, 04:13 PM

The 5.1 DD track on the Fox overseas release is completely remixed in full stereo and blows the doors off the US DVD. There's absolutely no comparison between the two.

Not only that, but the transfer itself is appreciably superior to the US DVD -- it's warmer, more colorful, and less grainy.

I have the Japanese R2 disc (NTSC) and it's absolutely stellar (I asssume the R2 France/UK and R4 Aussie PAL discs are identical). One of my top discs for any region free player
Old 07-14-03, 09:33 PM
Rest in Peace

I have the R4 Special Edition with DD 5.1
or DD2.0 Stereo. English subtitles for the hard of hearing. The runtime is 125 minutes. Bonus footage run time 70 minutes. The DVD is coming from www.foxmovies.com.au

Keep case is clear with the chapters on the underside of the Disc cover art. The cover art is in Black and White except for his sword and the thumbnails of 20th Century Fox are in full color, the release date has year 2002.

P.S. The music heard by me thru Denon PQ AHD-750 thru a 5 speaker surround headphone set up of my own configuration. Terrific Bass on the surround of 5 speakers coming out of the 20 Ohm resistance Denon 'cans'.
Old 07-15-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At best buy they have both Conan the Barbarian and the Destroyer for $18. Both are inferior to R4 counterparts so I’m wondering what I should do. Get superior versions for more money or get each for $9 :/
Old 07-15-03, 05:56 PM

Class316, I guess it just depends on how much you love the movies.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN is a great movie and the presentation is so superior on the overseas release (sound AND transfer) that it was definitely worth it for me.

The domestic CONAN THE DESTROYER has a good transfer but it's not 16:9 enhanced, and has none of the cool supplements from the overseas Special Editon.

It's also not as if it's a LOT more money to import them.

If you order from an Aussie online retailer like PlanetDVD or Ezydvd, ordering both CONAN DVDs with shipping is going to cost you something like $30 (US, and that includes shipping).

That's a little over $10 more than the two-pack -- and WAY worth it, IMHO, if you've got a region free player at home.
Old 07-15-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually the R1 CE of Conan the Barbarian is 16:9 enhanced.
Old 07-15-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
actually the R1 CE of Conan the Barbarian is 16:9 enhanced.
We know, but apparently the foreign transfers are still better. Destroyer, however, isn't 16:9 enhanced.
Old 07-15-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah, I forgot about Destroyer... A.K.A. the suck A$$ Conan film.

Hmm, I might have to get rid of my R1 for the R4 version of Conan the Barbarian. I just want to blast Basil's score so bad!!!
Old 07-17-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I should get hold of the R4 Conan the Barbarian and forget the Destroyer all together. What's the best place to order Australian DVDs that will ship to the US? While I'm at it maybe I can also get the R4 Robocop since that is the best version of it.
Old 07-17-03, 09:45 AM

Maybe I should get hold of the R4 Conan the Barbarian and forget the Destroyer all together.
Why? If you're going to the trouble of ordering from overseas, I'd definitely go for it. It's not too expensive, either.

The Special Edition overseas has 2 commentary tracks, an excellent interview (15 mins) with Basil Poledouris about his music for BOTH films, 16:9 widescreen and 5.1 sound (albeit "enhanced" and not a true remix like the CONAN THE BARBARIAN track).

What's the best place to order Australian DVDs that will ship to the US?
As I said in my earlier post, Ezydvd.com.au and Planetdvd.com.au are fine choices. I did have one shipment never arrive from Ezydvd last winter, though they did -- after a couple of months -- send me a new one. For that reason I order now from Planetdvd, and their orders seem to arrive faster (prices are just about the same except except for sale titles).
Old 07-17-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cause Conan the Destroyer sucks.
Old 07-17-03, 09:19 PM

Cause Conan the Destroyer sucks.
Well, then, don't bother. Didn't know you felt so strongly about it (especially since you were considering buying the U.S. disc two replies ago!).
Old 07-18-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dumb question: is it ok to get the aussie version even tho it says that its optimized for PAL? All my stuff is NTSC and I dont want any wackyness.

j
Old 07-18-03, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by jekbrown
dumb question: is it ok to get the aussie version even tho it says that its optimized for PAL? All my stuff is NTSC and I dont want any wackyness.

j
"optimized for PAL" is a rather misleading phrase, imho.

Its in PAL format. (not merely "optimized" for it.)

If all your equipment is NTSC only, or your display is NTSC only and your dvd player is not capable of converting PAL to NTSC, then you're going to have problems.

Hemulen