Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions on two titles..

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Opinions on two titles..

Old 07-18-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on two titles..

I just ordered two titles from Xploitedcinema and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them (although its too late, I'm still interested).

I got Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Special Editon (Region 2 - PAL) and "Zombi" (PAL). How are the DVD's? And what is Argento's cut of 'Dawn of the Dead' like? I'm a fan of Romero and Aregento, but I felt Romero's "Dawn" was overly long...

Opinions? Should I be secure with the purchase or shall I dread the day they come in?
Old 07-18-03, 02:59 AM
Suspended

If you can wait a little longer, you should probably cancel both. Anchor Bay is putting out what is promised to be the ultimate DAWN OF THE DEAD set, with three different versions of the film and of course a mess o' extras.

And I don't know if it's been confirmed yet, but the rumor is that a new TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE disc is hitting region 1, probably to cash in on the remake.
Old 07-18-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From what I understand - the special edition for Texas will be identical to the one I just ordered, 'cept for the fact it continues to get delayed (probably due to the Remake).

As for Dawn - I have heard so many different things on how Anchor is goin' to handle the release of that, so I just said screw it. I was under the impression that it would be a two or three disc set , that was loaded. Then I read that there would be three different releases..etc.. I will most likely pick it up also. I just wanted wanted a single copy of Arengto's cut for my collection.
Old 07-18-03, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Well, I don't know where you read all the conflicting information about DAWN OF THE DEAD, but Anchor Bay has had the specs listed on their site for a while now:

"DAWN OF THE DEAD - February 2004

George Romero's masterpiece is coming back to DVD in a big way._ Featuring newly re-mastered widescreen transfers (16x9 enhanced), new DTS & Dolby EX Surround Sound, all-new cast & crew interviews, all-new audio commentary tracks, trailers, poster & still galleries and more!_ Available separately will be the original Theatrical Version and the Extended (Director's Cut) Version._ Also available will be a special multi-disc box set including an exclusive presentation of the ZOMBI version of the film from Europe._ Expect more announcements in the coming months, and please note all features at this point are tentative and subject to change._ Closed Captioned for the Hearing Impaired."

As far as TEXAS CHAINSAW goes, I'm waiting on the R1 release simply because I don't want to put up with PAL speed-up if it's not necessary. I've waited this long. I'm sure they'll take advantage of the remake hype to release the remastered disc soon enough.
Old 07-18-03, 08:34 PM

It's been awhile since I've seen Argento's cut of DOTD, but it's a shorter film then the theatrical and a bit tighter. It's also more gory, with a few isolated bits of violence not in either cut Romero cuts. I'd say it's more action oriented then the U.S. cuts and short on the social commentary. I still prefer either the theatrical or the director's cut, not that Argento's is bad, but misses the epic scope.
Old 07-18-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Yeah, DOTD needs that epic scope. Also, Zombie is missing alot of the familiar library music cues (replaced with repeated Goblin cues). But every serious Romero fan should have all versions of the film.