Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So I bought a progressive scan DVD player...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-03, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went to Circuit city thinking I was going to buy some computer memory and ended up looking at their open box DVD's. After lurking on the home theater forum for some time I realize that these progressive scans seem to be better quality than regular ones. Why this is I do not know. Anyway, I picked up the Sony DVP-NS715P for some $85 and have yet to hoook it up. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify what progressive scan is and how is it used. Also, do I need to use special cables or any special input on my receiver to use it?? I'm kinda clueless so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-28-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

do you have a progressive scan television set? basically the prog scan dvd player sends the image to the display in a progressive format (as opposed to interlaced in a traditional analog format.) in an interlaced signal you see fields containing every other line of an image (line 1, 3, 5, etc.) every 1/60th of a second, thus it takes 1/30th of a second to display a complete frame. with progressive scan you see every line of the image (line 1, 2, 3, etc.) every 1/60th of a second. the result is less flickering, especially on scenes involving motion. if you don't have a progressive scan capable display than none of this really matters as you won't be able to view the progressive signal.
Old 06-28-03, 05:34 PM

I see. I don't think my tv is progressive scan but the info helps a lot anyway. Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-28-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no problem. if your set can display HDTV it can do prog scan. also, for a while some manufacturers were making SDTV sets that are capable of 480p (for progressive) and those would work nicely with a prog scan dvd player too.