Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BEWARE!!! Best Buy.com email scam

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received this email today. I tried to call Best Buy to let them know, but they already have a message on their customer service line stating they are aware of it. The link is dead anyway, but I wanted to let you know just in case.

Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.
This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/19/2003.
Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.
This e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED
ITEMS PURCHASED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item No: 73890
CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order listed above has not yet been processed.
The reason for the delay in processing your order is:

- UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

- Information provided:
Shipping
41 WINHAM ST
Staten Island, NY 10306
United States
phone# 206-337-9843

In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed to avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html
Old 06-19-03, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks. I clicked the link and filled in my info. Hopefully this will help them track down any fraud on my account!
Old 06-19-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Thanks. I clicked the link and filled in my info. Hopefully this will help them track down any fraud on my account!

Anyways, who says you should never look a gift horse in the mouth, eh?
Old 06-19-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the warning. I received the same message today as well.
Old 06-20-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Received the following email message today from Best Buy about the hoax.

IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Late Wednesday afternoon, June 18, 2003, Best Buy became aware of an unauthorized and deceptive e-mail to consumers titled "Fraud Alert." That e-mail message, which requested personal information (i.e., social security and credit card numbers), claimed to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. That message was NOT from Best Buy or any of our affiliates.

Best Buy is working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities to quickly resolve the situation. We are working to shut down sites affiliated with that unauthorized e-mail and Best Buy will work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any perpetrators involved in this illegal act to the fullest extent of the law. If you replied to the fraudulent
e-mail in any way, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately.

No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online business is secure. The privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy and any information you provide to us is handled according to our Privacy Policy.

As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com, online purchasing will be temporarily unavailable beginning Friday, June 20; however, our product information and helpful resource articles will still be available. Rest assured, the fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our redesigned Web site.

If you have any questions, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or visit our Online Pressroom.

To find out more about protecting your information, visit the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Thank you for being a valued Best Buy customer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've opted out of Best Buy promotional e-mails, don't worry: you haven't been signed up again. We just wanted to make sure you knew about this situation, regardless of whether you receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. You will NOT continue to receive Best Buy promotional e-mails. Thank you.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 06-20-03 at 01:08 PM.