Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Of Ringu Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review Of Ringu Wanted

Hello,I was checking out dvds at my friendly neighborhood online rental site and came across this title.Is it anygood?
I know its subtitled .Does the story translate into our language pretty well?It said it was a creepy mystry and it spawned a franchise that rivals a nightmare on elm street(I assume sequels)

I put it on my movie rental list at 10 How far should I bump it up? Thanks Guys
Old 03-05-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...from all I've read/heard about this movie, I'd say: bump it up to number ONE...!... but, then, I may be entirely wrong, of course...

. . . . . .
Old 03-05-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good movie, and after watching Ring last night I'd have to say it's much better than the US version. Ringu has a few things going for it:

- It's creepier.
- It's more cohesive, less plot holes you can drive a truck through
- It's more visually pleaseing, IMHO.

I wouldn't say that it 'rivals Nightmare on Elm St' or anything like that, but it's a good film. I can see why they made sequals to it, and I can see why they probably never will with the US version.
Old 03-05-03, 11:27 AM
NMA

Here is a good review:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?...244&story=4184
Old 03-05-03, 11:50 AM

Thanks, guys!Its at the top of my list.I bumped it ahead of The Ring.When I asked for this review I never realized The Ring was a remake of Ringu.I'll give Ringu a day in court.
Old 03-05-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it worth $25?
Old 03-06-03, 03:39 AM

You didnt think the remake was visually pleasing?? Wow I really liked the way it was done...well I guess the green hue was alittle over done but other than that I thought it was very pleasing to me!
Old 03-06-03, 10:15 AM

Use the URL as a clearing house (if you will) regarding reviews for Ringu R1-R6:

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3

Old 03-06-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed Ringu, but I actually liked the remake a little better. They're both good. See both if you get a chance.

-GB
Old 03-06-03, 02:11 PM

you should be able to find it pretty cheap, like $15 at most. i have seen copies all over NYC, so there must have been some sort of mass pressing.
Old 03-07-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$27.99 at Best Buy
Old 03-07-03, 11:19 PM

Just finished watching it. I saw THE RING earlier this week, and couldn't wait to see Ringu. Despite what people have been saying, it does not matter which one you see first, as RINGU is by far the superior film. It was much more subtle in its scares (The Ring went for the typical hollywood "Jump" scare at every opportunity, where as Ringu used the little things to get you), it offered a better explanation of what was going on, at 20 minutes shorter it kept from dragging the way The Ring did (The Ring came to a dead crawl at times, Ringu keeps things moving throughout), Ryuji (the main male character) was much more likable in Ringu (I wanted someone to kick the crap out of Noah in The Ring just because of how annoying he was), and the acting all around was much better in Ringu. I definitely think it is worth the $25 I paid, where as I do not thing The Ring is worth the $16 most places are charging (thankfully my friend bought that one and I watched her copy).
Old 03-09-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched 'The Ring' and was not very entertained. The premise was good, but the story was too convulted and two of the main characters, Noah and the little boy just annoyed me to no end. As a result, I went to RingWorld.net and checked out their comments for the Ring series (Japan). Seemed interesting so I went on Ebay and bought the complete Japanese series . Ring, Ring 2, Ring 0 and Rasen.