Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Region 0 and Region Free the same thing?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 05:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see DVDs for sale on Half, eBay, and other sites occasionally labeled as Region Free or Region 0. Are they one and the same?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe the correct term is all-region disc. They should all refer to the same thing, a DVD that can be played in any Region 1 through Region 8 player. Look out for NTSC/PAL format problems though.
Old 02-20-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah. Wrong forum.

Moving to International DVD Talk.
Old 02-20-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, one and the same. Skar is correct in that all-region is the correct term (on the back of a case, it'll say "Region: ALL." But Region 0 is just slang for the same thing.

Region-free = all-region = region 0

Of course, remember: All-region doesn't necessarily mean it'll play on your machine! The format makes a difference--NTSC or PAL. There are some all-region PAL discs, which won't play on normal North American region 1 DVD players. I think Tartan's Ring releases are examples of this, aren't they? This should not be a problem for a DVD-ROM, though...

Last edited by aeron; 02-20-03 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by aeron
Yes, one and the same. Skar is correct in that all-region is the correct term (on the back of a case, it'll say "Region: ALL." But Region 0 is just slang for the same thing.

Region-free = all-region = region 0

Of course, remember: All-region doesn't necessarily mean it'll play on your machine! The format makes a difference--NTSC or PAL. There are some all-region PAL discs, which won't play on normal North American region 1 DVD players. I think Tartan's Ring releases are examples of this, aren't they? This should not be a problem for a DVD-ROM, though...
Yes good point. Tartan's Ring is RO PAL; the British Witchfinder General is also.

In fact many of my British DVDs are PAL all region discs:
Alucarda
Gate of Flesh
Zipang
The idiots
Highway Patrolman
Dead or Alive

etc., etc., etc.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-21-03, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...the Polish DVDs that I bought recently are labeled "U" (?for "Universal"?)...

...so: region-free = all region = region all = region 0 = (region) U...

...but that still leaves the pesky PAL/NTSC thingy - which is no problem for (?most?) owners of DVD players who live in PAL areas, but does pose a problem for those who own R1-only players...

...and so it goes...

. . . . . .
Old 02-21-03, 09:47 PM

Thanks all.

I think my biggest motivation for asking is that Half has been flooded with Region-Free DVD listings. It's against Half.com policy to list "region 0" DVDs. If they are the same, I am going to start using the little "report listing violation" links everytime I see a listing.

I'm a little P.O.'ed after recently receiving a "region free" DVD when it wasn't listed as such. I'm on a crusade to "clean up" Half.com. I have already had about 20 listings removed. They are pretty quick about removing listings that violate the rules. Woohoo! Goodbye competing sellers that sell all that CRAP! hehehe
Old 02-21-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...I'm on a crusade to "clean up" Half.com..."

...erm... I hope that doesn't mean throwing out the baby with the bath water ... a lot of perfectly legitimate Criterion DVDs are Region 0 - so are many if not all DVDs released by image, VCI, Roan Group, Kino etc...

. . . . . .
Old 02-22-03, 11:38 AM

Naaa. I really could care less about the legitimates.

I'm just sickened that I bought The Bourne Identity Widescreen, and received a DVD that

was shrinkwrapped by a gorilla? (worst--job--ever!)

has at least 10 misspellings on the back of the case!

What are "deleted sccnes" anyway?
What is the "the atrical trriler?"

I really don't care if it days it is DVD 9 SUPERBIT. It isn't of the quality that goes in my collection. Again, I'm only POed that the person sold me this crap without telling me he was in the description, especially when The Bourne Identity is so readily available in Region 1 format.

All of the TRUE R0 DVDs are safe with me. I'm just getting rid of the ones I see that are readily available at the local Walmart in R1.