Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dateline piece on violent video games.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dateline piece on violent video games.

Don't have time to write much on this, but it aired tonight. Same media stupidity as always. And as for Joe Leiberman, I'm sure he knows as much about video games as I do about brain surgery.
Old 12-17-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Did they show more pictures of Doom II?
Old 12-17-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
Did they show more pictures of Doom II?
Actually they did but only when they were discussing the Columbine incident.

They (believe it or not) did not discuss any censorship of violent games. They mainly discussed how kinds under 17 should not be able to buy rated "M" games which their undercover kids easily did. Leiberman stated that he would like to make a law enforcing stores to keep them from selling "M" games to kids under 17 if the stores do not enfore it themselves.

By the way...the main games they spoke of was Doom, GTA3, Max Payne, Soldier of Fortune (which Leiberman was particularly appalled of) and some game called Kingpins.
Old 12-17-02, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingpin...I really enjoyed that game It wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch, but it sure was fun

Only reason I had bought it was because there was some pissed-off mother's group trying to ban it or boycott it or something (every time I hear something like that I always buy it just to spite...picked up the book American Psycho for the same reason about 8 years ago)

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...197729,00.html

Last edited by Crizzar; 12-17-02 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 01:47 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
One of the networks had a story on not to long ago about how the DC snipers practiced by playing Halo. I can't believe some people are dumb enough to believe that.
Old 12-18-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
They (believe it or not) did not discuss any censorship of violent games. They mainly discussed how kinds under 17 should not be able to buy rated "M" games which their undercover kids easily did. Leiberman stated that he would like to make a law enforcing stores to keep them from selling "M" games to kids under 17 if the stores do not enfore it themselves.
And I assume this would work just as well as keeping kids from buying music with the parental advisory sticker or buying tickets to a R-rated movie .

That being said, I really wouldn't mind something like this in place as it might get those wackos off the airwaves slamming the gaming industry every week.
Old 12-18-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Except for Lieberman irrationally blaming the Columbine shooting solely on "Doom," I had no problem with this story.

Parents should know what their kids play, and ideally, the kids shouldn't have TV, internet, or games in their rooms where they can use them without supervision. However, stores should not be selling this content to kids.

Theaters do a good job of not selling kids tickets to R-rated movies. I can't see why stores can't manage to not sell these games to kids.
Old 12-18-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too saw the bit on Halo and the DC sniper. These reporters should try picking up a controller first and see how that improves their weapons skills. I suppose that by flying helicopters in Vice City it'll make my flight training go all that much easier, right?
Old 12-18-02, 09:59 AM

before they caught the dc snipers there was a lot of talk on video game violence, some tv reporters bashing and blaming the games, the creators and the companies who sell these games, they the news media was shocked when the snipers did'nt turn out to be what they had hoped for, young teens mimicing what they played in a video game, but instead a adult with military experience.

so then where was all the military bashing, the hey look what the military can do you and so on, instead it was just swept under the rug like no big deal, the big story "TEEN SNIPER CAUGHT WITH VIDEO GAME VIOLENCE TO BLAME", just did'nt happen, ahh what a shame sorry news media maybe next time.

the media and people who blame video games or anything else for that matter, for what happens in someones disturbed life are just ignorant to just point the finger without digging into what really caused the certain violence.

Last edited by psxfan2; 12-18-02 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-18-02, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MrX
One of the networks had a story on not to long ago about how the DC snipers practiced by playing Halo. I can't believe some people are dumb enough to believe that.

I saw that. The funny thing was that they didn't mention that the whole game is about you being the hero. Killing aliens with green blood. They showed over and over again the death sceen of the main character (the hero) spliced with shots of the sniping mode (targeting an alien). Trying to make it look like the game was all about sniping humans. They mentioned nothing about the fact that the game is controlled by 2 feaking thumbsticks, not a high-powered rifle!

What really ticks me off, is that the press is focussing on the games and not the fact that anyone can buy this assult rifle and do the same damn thing! It's the rifle that allowed him to snipe, not the games. Duh. I wrote an editorial letter into their website- I wonder if they will read it. Sometimes they do.

Hmmm. freedom of the the press, just as good as communism in this case.
Old 12-18-02, 12:39 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
At the TRU I work at, we card anyone who looks under 21 if they try to buy an M rated game, and won't sell it to them if they are under 17. The biggest problem with that, is all the parents who just buy whatever game the kid wants without checking to see what it's like. I have had SO many Moms say to me "There's nothing bad in Vice City for my 12-year-old, is there?". Seriously. Yes, I agree that violent video games are not the cause of this problem, but it doesn't help when stupid parents don't monitor what their kids watch/do.

X
Old 12-18-02, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
, the kids shouldn't have TV, internet, or games in their rooms where they can use them without supervision.
i think this is wrong, kids need their privacy, keeping kids away from these things rather then educating them on it is what breeds even more curiosity... kind of like the preachers daughter saying....

i dont think violent entertainment and especially video games are what are making kids do these crazy things, violence has been around since before the tv, i personally beleive its the lack of importance/money being put into the schools these days, therefore kids dont get the same attention needed to nurture young fragile minds (especially those with learning difficulties) they would in a 40 student class as they would a 25 student class (when i was younger)

there has always been violence before music/movies/video games, the only difference in the past 13 years is the amount of money they pour into schools.

"How can you expect to grow a beautiful strong healthy tree when you plant the seed in bad unfertilized soil?"

Last edited by Young Vito; 12-18-02 at 12:44 PM.