Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

WARNING: FRAUD SCHEME ON EBAY...I GOT RIPPED OFF on Ebay...looking for some Guidance

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

WARNING: FRAUD SCHEME ON EBAY...I GOT RIPPED OFF on Ebay...looking for some Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-02, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong forum, or wrong website! Please move if you have to (but please don't delete!)

WARNING!! FRAUD SCHEME ON EBAY! EBAY USER: CANONNER

Well, yea I'm about to get ripped off on ebay by this a**hole who goes by the username "canonner" (real name George Onieal)

In September he started buying up lots of dvds, i Mean a lot! He bought a 13 lot from me and a bunch more from other sellers. He emailed me asking me to ship to the Philippines as a gift and he would pay extra for my troubles. (MY MISTAKE STARTED RIGHT THERE!! I should've known better)

But I somehow trusted him I guess. He bought 9 more dvds from me totalling 22 dvds for 280 dollars shipped. He wanted me to ship it to someone in the Philippines who goes by "Jason Sy"

I get the billpoint payment and I wait 24 hours to be sure he hasn't made any chargebacks. Everything is ok. Suddenly I get an email from another seller...telling me that he shipped already and he got notified from billpoint that the funds were REVERSED!! (uh oh....)

So I start to worry of course because I shipped as well and I know I'm going to get ripped off....But a week goes by and nothing. So I ASSUME that all is good.

NOW TWO MONTHS LATER! 2 damn months after the transaction is COMPLETE! Even with tracking and everything DONE. I and ANOTHER seller get a notice from billpiont that there's a CHARGEBACK!!! and that the funds will be debited from our account?!?!?!? What kind of rip-off scheme is this?!?

Isn't there ANYTHING that we can do? Not only will I lose 280 dollars, but also the cost that I paid for shipping, the money I spent on my dvds, and a f****** 10 dollar fee from billpoint for "INVESTIGATIVE" fees???

Maybe there's somenoe else out there who has more information on this George Onieal or Jason Sy persons....

WARNING! DO NOT SHIP TO:

George Onieal
Largo, FL
(727) 593 - 8078

OR

Jason Sy
176 Herrera St. Brookside Hills
Cainta, Rizal 1900
Philippines

If anyone has any advice, that would really be appreciated....
Old 12-02-02, 01:44 PM

One lesson that I've learned so far: NEVER SEND TO AN ADDRESS THAT ISN'T PROVIDED BY BILLPOINT OR PAYPAL.

also, that's the last time that I'm going to use billpoint.
Old 12-02-02, 03:41 PM
Cool New Member

Have you tried calling the number in florida?
It's possible the real George is an innocent victim.
It's easy for a crook to get another person's personal info and then have it ship to a 3rd party

Email the other ebay buyers (I noticed 4 positives, they probably got chargebacks too).
All of you file a complaint at http://www.nbi.doj.gov.ph/complaint.html
Maybe try a phone call, they should speak english.
Old 12-02-02, 03:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Why does Billpoint make it so easy to reverse the charges? Seems like you could do a lot of easy scams that way.
Old 12-02-02, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

Why wouldn't billpoint reverse the charges? He shipped them to a 3rd party. If he had a real merchant account, he would have gotten a chargeback too.
In this case, the seller error'ed by shipping it overseas.
Now it will be up to him to try to work on getting his stuff back.
Old 12-02-02, 04:18 PM

Yet another reason not to accept billpoint or paypal.

www.paypalsucks.com

www.paypalwarning.com
Old 12-02-02, 04:38 PM
Cool New Member

I've used paypal with great success.
Probably 1000 transactions with over $20000 in value with only 2 problems. Compared to other methods, this is quite acceptable.
Old 12-02-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have used Paypal extensively for all of my ebay and many non-ebay transactions. I have never had a problem with Paypal.
Old 12-02-02, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Re: WARNING: FRAUD SCHEME ON EBAY...I GOT RIPPED OFF on Ebay...looking for some Guidance

Originally posted by What Are DVDs
What kind of rip-off scheme is this?!?
Even though the PayPal billing address might have been in Florida, it could have easily actually been fudged so that this VISA/MASTERCARD/ etc. is either stolen or actually reverts to a bank in the Phillipines. The time delay between charge and chargeback leads me to believe it is attempting to draw from a foreign bank esp. Asian with the long-time delay. (sorry, but European banks in comparison are more reliable like American banks if you think I am being prejudiced)

Not to sound prejudiced against the "far east" but I would have made sure the first one or two DVDs went through without any problems before shipping anything else before I would other places. One or two gifts and then more to the same address, okay, feasible but not plausible. Dealing with foreign addresses, mind you, are difficult to deal with if problems arise, any almost any foreign country especially countries like the Phillipines. With your DVDs in their hand, if there are no recourses available through your credit card company, you are out of luck.

There were some red flags that I think you missed. Sorry, for you . . . hopefully you will come out OK, if not be it a lesson learned to anyone listening.

Edit reply: I did some research on eBay and it might do you good to e-mail the sellers of the 4 positive transactions this user has had - - - there might be a chance that they shipped to a US address which would give you a better chance to track the culprit down - - - unless they hijacked a user account which is possible. I think not as their positive transactions were all for DVDs and Playstation games (which are unplayable in Asia if they don't have adapters which is unlikely).

Last edited by jarsim; 12-02-02 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by What Are DVDs
One lesson that I've learned so far: NEVER SEND TO AN ADDRESS THAT ISN'T PROVIDED BY BILLPOINT OR PAYPAL...
Yes, and never ship to anybody in the Phillipines unless they pay cash, especially if you say that you will only ship to the US. For some reason it seems that a large percentage of fraud comes from the Phillipines.

Also, it's a small point, but you didn't lose the $280, you "only" lost the cost of the DVDs and the cost of shipping.

Funny thing about the $280 amount, I will be sniping on a video game / system package tomorrow morning via esnipe with a max bid of ~ $280. The seller asks for cashiers checks, money orders, or personal checks only. So if I win I would be sending basically cash to a complete stranger. Though this appears to be his first sale, he has a feedback of more than 60 with no neutrals or negatives (for a wide variety of purchases dating back to '99). Plus he's not selling anything else now (thus isn't selling a lot of expensive stuff right before dropping out of sight).
Old 12-03-02, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I run a website for DVD collectors, buyers & sellers in the Philippines, and it's possible that someone on our forum knows him or has dealt with him locally. I'll try and see if we can trace him so that you can contact the guy and clear things up. Email me at [email protected].

I really do hope this problem gets resolved. It's sad that people are getting all these negative impressions about the Philippines. Some of us are actually nice people!

Last edited by anali; 12-03-02 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-03-02, 04:48 AM

Hi everyone...to answer some questions:

I called the number but it isn't in service.

Also, it IS my fault that I took a chance and shipped to a third party...so I have to deal with it.

Next, I will never use billpoint...it's being phased out of ebay sometime soon anyway.

I closed my billpoint account but I don't know if they can still debit my checking account....so I might close that as well. WHAT A HASSLE!

Also, the email I got from billpoint states that the buyer "canonners" phoned in on his credit card company claiming that I committed FRAUD against him. Thus the reason for the chargeback......what a lame excuse.

I got several emails and also emailed the other sellers...and guess what: same thing happened to them! Even the seller raydecks...who unfortunately left positive feedback right AFTER payment....GOT RIPPED OFF AS WELL! 24 HOURS AFTER SHIPPING.

some lessons that I've definitely learned:

ALWAYS PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD

NEVER SHIP TO A THIRD PARTY

ALWAYS GET MORE THAN TRACKING...GET SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION AND RETURN RECEIPT.....THE WORKS!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT! I hope anyone else reading this takes this information as a valuable resource.

Edit: it IS a shame that the Philippines is getting a bad rep from all this fraud! I'M FILIPINO!!!! All those bad buyers/sellers out there who're ripping off everyone else is giving us honest filipinos a bad name.

Last edited by What Are DVDs; 12-03-02 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-03-02, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Heat

Also, it's a small point, but you didn't lose the $280, you "only" lost the cost of the DVDs and the cost of shipping.
yeah, I didn't really lose the $280.00....but I DID lose the money that I paid for for those movies....which was way over 280.00

Old 12-03-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there any chance that you could get ahold of somebody at his credit card and say "hey, there aren't four different ebay sellers committing fraud against him, he is stealing from us"?

I thought it was a stolen credit card, but now it looks like the card was valid, he is just saying that he never received any of his purchases.
Old 12-03-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Have you been "charged" yet? If not, close the account and move on. Sounds like Billpoint would have to eat it at that point. (Which they should for allowing 2 months to go by before charging you back)
Old 12-03-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you do close your account, be sure to close any reserve lines of credit ("overdraft protection", etc). While I don't think that Billpoint should eat the loss, better them than you in this case. They were awful quick to charge people rather than investigating a little closer.
Old 12-04-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks, sorry to hear that story.

I pretty much stopped ebay-ing all together, it's just too risky for me (someone who doesn't sell too much.).
Old 12-04-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear about your prediciment...

Unfortunately another screwed on ebay story...
Old 12-06-02, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another message is, as a seller, NEVER accept payment with Credit Card. It is ironic that it is 2 different methods in ebays, but as a seller, ONLY accept money order or cashiers check. No perosnal check, as they bounce too much, and no credit card, especially with billpoint as bogus chargebacks occur.

BUT as a bidder, pay with credit card, if you dont trsut the seller for he CAN fraud you. Yep, it gets to a point that unless you can meet the prson in person, you can never trust.

By the way, BEWARE of half.com As a seller. I will post a individual post on why that place id filled with fraud buyers!
Old 12-06-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
This is why I tell people:

It's nothing personal. I don't mistrust you. But if you want to use Paypal, I will only ship to a Verified address. If I make an exception for you, what's to keep the next person from wanting an exception, and the next, and the next.

Someone impersonated me once and wanted stuff sent to Malaysia. I forget the payment service but they caught it before the items were shipped. The seller really thought I was vacationing in Malaysia - he even forwarded an e-mail he had sent to the payment service - "She seems really nice, not someone who would try to defraud anyone. I think you are mistaking that this is fraud." (paraphrased).
Old 12-06-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, but I have NEVER (knock on wood) had a problem with credit card transactions. They help encourage bidders in my view because they know they have some added protection against fraud. I ship legit stuff, take care of all my customers, and have never had a problem. I probably will at some point, but after about 150 transactions - I have had 0 problems.
Old 12-07-02, 04:11 AM

anali, any word on the situation over there in the philippines? I haven't heard back from you yet. thanks
Old 12-10-02, 03:37 PM

You should show billpoint/ the CC company all these other sellers that were also scammed. Seriously how can any bank keep taking his word that fraud has been done to him AGAIN & AGAIN???

I know this low life is the reason but legit financial institutions are continually doing the charge backs to various people. I am sure if you managed to get them all to put in the complaint with you including the emails of this person requesting items to be sent to the Philippines plus proof that you did so (registered? Shipping receipts?) something *could* happen???