Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The BIG question, Mech Assault or Unreal Champ (XBOX)??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

----Edited to clarify that I already have Ghost Recon and think it is one of the best games I've played on the Xbox. I also have Splinter Cell and I have NHL2K3 coming on Thursday. ----

I have MA now and I'm really thinking about taking it back. I have it in my car now actually. My buddies are trying to talk me out of it but I've found little use for the online play. The team matches have very little team work and the gameplay tends to always end up being a straff and shoot game. Many say UC is the same way but I figured at least it has more game modes and more maps. Any suggestions? Comments on UC?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kainan; 11-19-02 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have UC but, I would wait and see what download content is coming. I think this game has been getting a bad rap right from the beginning. The single player mode is worth the purchase alone. UC seems dated to me. I have the PC version and it is really more of the same old thing. I say keep MA and then get Ghost Recon.
Old 11-19-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edstein
I say keep MA and then get Ghost Recon.

I second getting GR. Incredible game.
Old 11-19-02, 01:13 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by neale
I second getting GR. Incredible game.
I 3rd GR.

Old 11-19-02, 01:20 PM

Sorry, let me clarify. I already have GR and I also have Splinter Cell, and NHL2k3 will be here Thursday. I'll update my original post.
Old 11-19-02, 01:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Unreal alot. Its fast paced and lots of cool weapons. Maybe its just me but for Deathmatches it seems like theres not enough maps yet. No big deal the first year most downloads are supposed to be free.

I like the contrast between GR and Unreal. Ill play Unreal for a senseless violence spree, then team up with people on GR and save the world from terrorists!

I havent played MA.
Old 11-19-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MechAssault...I enjoy the single player game, and am getting better in the Multiplayer game. The multiplayer game plays too quick most of the time. Just when you get a good bunch of guys together the game is over, your chances of rematching them are pretty much nil.

Playing your friends: You can't tell what game you friends are playing, thus you cannot invite them. (I hate inviting a player in the middle of a football game, because odds are they have 30 mins left in the game that they are playing.) The fact that there is no real lobby. I think fixing the lobby would resolve most of the problems that I have with multi-player. I won't take this game back, but GR is definately in my sights.
Old 11-19-02, 03:03 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
UC is pretty cool but it's basically Unreal Tournament with better graphics and a little of Quake 3's style thrown in. I wish it would have had an option menu with more options. I hate that you can start with any weapon you want and I wish you could turn off the names and yellow triangles that surround other players (or can you anyone?). It's still a lot of fun even though single player can get pretty boring sometimes.The Lightning gun is sweet, too.
Old 11-19-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Teamwork and online play don't usually go together. As with any online game, you have to find the right servers or group of people to play with regularly. I bought it hoping it would have the versatility of UT2003 (as far as bot control/customization etc.) but it does not. I took it back and picked up Splinter Cell.

I do not have Live!, so I can only give you impressions of the single/multplayer split screen/link play.

While it is a lot of fun, the options for single/multiplayer non Live! play are limited. You can't set the amount of bots in a map (how much fun can 2 v 2 CTF really be? not much), you can't kick bots to even teams in splitscreen, so you need 3 people for even teams (it only kicks on bot for the 1 st player). Youcan't customize the available weapons for a given level, and you can't change your character skin/model without having to create a new profile (really lame!) These are little things, of course, but it was enough for me to return it. So much potential for a solid single player experience. Were it not for the wonky aiming in TS2, I'd have my frag fest fix for my Xbox. UT2003, here I come!!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-19-02 at 03:24 PM.