Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Best of Muppet Show DVDs...reviews? (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Best of Muppet Show DVDs...reviews? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time Life Muppets Series

Did anyone purchase this series or know anything about it?
I'm a hugh Muppet Fan, but I don't want to spend $175 for the 10 DVD set if there is only a half hour of Muppet Show clips on each DVD.

Are they whole episodes?
Is there anything else on them besides the episodes?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Old 11-30-01, 04:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
each dvd is three complete half hour episodes (well, without commercials I guess they run closer to about 25 minutes a piece) plus very short segments with brian henson talking about the shows in question.

i'd definitely like to see more episodes per volume, but i really can't complain, i've got the muppet show on dvd!
Old 09-17-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Best of Muppet Show DVDs...reviews?

Does anyone have the 10-DVD set from Time-Life for the Best of The Muppet Show? I was thinkig of getting these, and didn't knwo if there were any reveiws, etc. out there.

Also, have there been any rumblings about releasing complete seasons of the show (ala Friends, which had "Best of..." collectiosn first?). If so, might wait. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-17-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This should be in DVD Reviews I'd think...
Check here:
Old 09-17-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, they are worth buying. I'd give the set an 8 out of 10. Some discs are better than others, simply because some episodes are better than others. Brian Henson's intros are occasionally quite interesting, sometimes less so.

But you're getting 30 Muppet Shows, uncut, and they even include the musical numbers that aired only in the UK-- so there's stuff you'll probably never have seen before. They shows look and sound great, and the amount of pleasure they have given has certainly made the $140 I paid worth it. (Be sure to hunt around for coupons and rebates.)

Sure, I wish they had included Zero Mostel, Rita Moreno, etc etc., but the best way to get them release more Eps is to buy the ones that are already out there. Long live the Muppets!
Old 09-17-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The video quality is also surprising good for a 20 year old show. I grew up watching this stuff, and it's amazing how entertaining it still is for adults. I only wish there were more "behind the scenes" info. Like MadameTourvel mentioned, some of Brian Hensons introductions were interesting, but they usually just leave me wanting more.
Too bad they only put 3 episodes per disc to milk more money out of us. They could have easily put 6 per disc if they wanted to.
If TimeLife is still selling this set, don't pay full price. They are a lot of 20% off coupons that show up occasionally.