Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

BFI edition of salo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFI edition of salo

I am seriously thinking about purchasing the BFI edition of Salo from Britian. Whats a good place to order from? I hear Blackstar or amazon.co.uk would be good, (although, blackstar doesnt say if its in stock or not). Does anyone have this DVD?
Old 09-10-02, 10:12 PM

If you do get it I think Blackstar has free shipping email them asking if its in stock or not
Old 09-10-02, 10:28 PM

As far as I am aware, BlackStar no longer offers free shipping... nor do they deduct VAT.

BensonsWorld on the other hand, do have free shipping and very low prices (in fact Salo is 3 pounds cheaper at BensonsWorld).

Click here to go to Salo at BensonsWorld.

regards, Tim...
Old 09-11-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and, as I've had occasion to remark on this site more than once in the past two years, the BFI "Salò", although released in the Year of our Lord 2001, is non-anamorphic widescreen, the disc is almost as bareboned as the nothing-to-write-home-about, long OOP CC disc, and it sports a very bad transfer to boot: unsharp from the opening credits all the way through to the movie's bitter end...

(Note: ...black star gave up 'free shipping' about two years ago ... bensons still ship DVDs free of charge worldwide...)

. . . . . .
Old 09-11-02, 01:17 AM

Sorry guys knew it was one of those 2 UK sites

I stand corrected!
Old 09-11-02, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and... for the Italian- and/or French-deprived... a DigiPack two-disc, limited, numbered Collector's Edition will be released in France next month... package will include both the 'official' French-dubbed release and the Italian release... it will feature anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers PLUS a bunch of extras...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Salò . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

...eat your hearts out...!...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-11-02 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-11-02, 04:31 PM

...and, as I've had occasion to remark on this site more than once in the past two years, the BFI "Salò", although released in the Year of our Lord 2001, is non-anamorphic widescreen, the disc is almost as bareboned as the nothing-to-write-home-about, long OOP CC disc, and it sports a very bad transfer to boot: unsharp from the opening credits all the way through to the movie's bitter end...
All of that is true, but it is still better than the Criterion transfer.

Jeff
Old 09-11-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...it is still better than the Criterion transfer."

...I beg to differ... admittedly, the CC disc used a pretty faded print (so much for getting their grubby hands on the finest available source material - a claim, incidentally, also made by the BFI, for which it was once lambasted in FILMS AND FILMING, where the critic said something to the effect that the BFI's motto would be more 'honest' if they said "we'll use any source material we can damn well lay our hands on"...), whereas the colors are ever so slightly more 'colorful' on the UK disc ... but I would hate having to watch the latter on a large screen (only watched it on a 21" telly in my bedroom, and the image looked like you-know-what, compared to the CC, which merely looked ho-hum - in MNSHO, of course)...

...it'll be interesting to see what the French come up with (in the same limited series as "Salò" they will also release "The Canterbury Tales", "Arabian Nights" and "The Decameron")...

. . . . . .