Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

B&w R1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&w R1

Hi,

Nit quite sure if this is in the right forum though I strongly believe that somebody had a similar with R1 DVDs playing on a multiregion-player.
I own a Toshiba mr-player, which used to be just a region 2 player. So far everything worked fine. Ordered DVDs from Australia and had no problems with the region 4.
Now I was on holidays in New York and got some region 1 DVDs back. Unfortunately, I only get a black and white picture. It's also not 100% clear and have to switch to S-Video to have a good picture.
I also own quite an old German TV but if it's the TV why can I watch Region 4 in color. I just don't know what the problem is: DVD. DVD-player, or TV.
Does somebody have an answer?
Old 08-24-02, 10:51 PM

That sounds to be a NTSC/PAL problem. Generally, it seems, when you've got a NTSC signal showing up in Black and White on a TV (that's otherwise not b&w) it's probably a PAL tv that doesn't support NTSC right.

What you need to do is see if you can convert the signal, since your player's putting out a NTSC signal, not PAL (I think). There are standalone converters on the internet, but I think you could get around that.

Region 4, to my knowledge, is PAL. Only r1, r2-Japan and some of Hong Kong is NTSC, to oversimplify.

And how do you get s-video into an 'old German TV', anyway?

More details about your player could prove helpful.
Old 08-25-02, 06:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've copied this over to Hardware for additional input.

Benedict
Old 08-25-02, 09:50 AM

@codger,

Thanks for your answer. It's true I have a Pal TV. You were talking about converting the signal. Could you tell me more?
I tried to change the set up of my Toshiba 210E (chipped) player to Pal output but then I get the message that my replay is restricted and another saying not Pal on the TV screen. I guess because I'm trying to play a region1 DVD.
In addition, I guess my Grundig is not that old (ten to 15 years). I changed the output set up of my player to s-video and the pic got clearer.
So please tell me more about converting the signal or do I have to buy a new TV and what should I look out for to avoid similar problems?