Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Computer speakers...?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Computer speakers...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer speakers...?

Im fairly new to the whole audio concept, but I love watching movies with surround sound. Also, I'm fairly cheap, so instead of buying a huge system, I have bought a $30 5-piece (4 speakers and a sub-woofer) CompUSA speaker set, and have hooked it up to my tv with the help of some radioshack wire adapters. The sound is reasonably good, but my question is if this is much different to DD or DTS. Also, please inform me of what these two things are, and what their qualities are. Thanks.
Old 07-31-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Like you, my friend, I am cheap also.

Uhhhhh, what brand is your speakers? How many watts? what is it's highest and lowest frequency? How are they connected to the TV? Thru a minijack? RCA? Don't you really mean you hooked it to your DVD player, not the TV?

Computer speakers are good for listening to CD music, esp. while using a subwoofer.

As for DD and DTS, I don't believe that you could be receving a DTS and DDsignals, since it has to be decoded thru a receiver using a coax or optical cable.

But you probably will be hearing a 5.1 downmixed stereo sound on your speakers which is good enough for most people.
Old 08-01-02, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um...the brand is actually Compusa, and if you go there, you will most likely see it. They are flat panel speakers. I am not sure of the exact amount of watts, but I know that it is around 10-50. Im not sure of frequency. They are connected to my TV, not the dvd player, meaning that I can use it for television broadcasts, games, etc. And it connects to the TV with this red-and-white cable, which I connected under the "Moniter" space in the back of my TV. The end of the jack is a headphone port, and from there, I connected the speakers to that. (sorry if I used the wrong words).
Old 08-01-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Your question really is how does DD and DTS compare to your present speakers. You would get better sound if you are using them for your computer, since that's what they were made for. They should sound good when playing mp3s, video games, etc.

You probably mean that your speakers connect thru a headphone minijack and that you used a RCA adaptor to connect it ot your TV.

RCA sound cables- white-mono and red-stereo. You will need both to be connected to get stereo.

DD and DTS are far superior than stereo, because they'd be using an audio receiver with speakers to decode it. But they're not cheap, though. A 250 watts DD only audio receiver and speakers would run at at least $150. An audio receiver that decodes both DD and DTS with like 450 watts will cost around $300. As you can see, it can get quite expensive and most system are over 250 watts which might be over kill for you.

If you're happy with what you have now, like it is loud enough and clear enough for you, then stick with what you have if you don't want to spend anymore money.