Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Mizoguchi on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-02, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mizoguchi on DVD

5 or 6 years ago, restored versions of several movies (1930's) directed by Kenji Mizoguchi, made the rounds of art theaters. I saw 4 or 5 a the Atlanta High Museum.

Does anyone know of plans to release Mizoguchi's classic films on DVD? They are truly incredible and have left a lasting impression on me.

Some the the titles I can remember: Ugetzu, Life of Oharu, Sansho Dayu (Sansho the Baliff).

I've found some on VHS but was hoping these have, or will be released on DVD.

pal
Old 07-08-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...a small point: the titles you mention are 1950s movies... and, afaik, none[*] of Mizoguchi's films are (currently) available on DVD - more's the pity!
[*] -> Correction: ONE of KM's films is available on a French DVD - with 'locked' French subtitles:
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=3972

(...it happens to be one of my all-time-favorite movies, which I have on LD...)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 07-08-02 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another great filmmaker who joins Ozu, Bresson, Satyajit Ray, et al in the dubious distinction division of Least Represented Cine-Genius on DVD.

For what it's worth, I have all three of the Mizoguchi titles you mention on LD -- Criterions, no less. One more reason to keep the laserdisc player alive.
Old 07-08-02, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...a small point: the titles you mention are 1950s movies... and, afaik, none[*] of Mizoguchi's films are (currently) available on DVD - more's the pity!
[*] -> Correction: ONE of KM's films is available on a French DVD - with 'locked' French subtitles:
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=3972
Ah, and The 47 Ronin in Region 1! It doesn't have the greatest transfer but it's certainly watchable.

Criterion should still have the rights to the Mizoguchi films they released on LD, since I'm pretty sure they're part of the Janus Collection.
Old 07-08-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ah yes, forgot about those 1941 & 1942 films...

...incidentally, and somewhat OT, I have the 1994 'remake' ("Shijushichinin no shihaku") by Kon Ichikawa on a Mei Ah disc (DVD-5 / Region 'All' / color / letterboxed ~1.85:1 / 129 minutes / DD 2.0 Surround)...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 07-08-02 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 10:10 AM

There is also a Spanish R2 release of Kenji Mizoguchi's Life of Oharu (my favorite film, incidentally) from Filmax, but with Spanish subtitles only.

Another worthwhile release from Filmax (also with Spanish subs only) is Yasujiro Ozu's very rare The Munekata Sisters with the enviable cast of Kinuyo Tanaka (Kenji Mizoguchi's muse) and Hideko Takamine (Mikio Naruse's muse), along with Ozu perennial Chishu Ryu.
Old 07-09-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gypo66
Another great filmmaker who joins Ozu, Bresson, Satyajit Ray, et al in the dubious distinction division of Least Represented Cine-Genius on DVD.

For what it's worth, I have all three of the Mizoguchi titles you mention on LD -- Criterions, no less. One more reason to keep the laserdisc player alive.
There are plenty of other great directors who are utterly unrepresented on DVD - Miklos Jancso, Theo Angelopoulos (expect for Ulysses' Gaze and the R2 Eternity and a Day), Bela Tarr, Aleksandr Sokurov, Mikio Naruse, etc.
Old 07-10-02, 11:16 AM

I'm hoping you moved there because:

1) You are putting together a DVD box set of the "turnover trilogy plus one" by Fruit Chan. All in the OAR and enhanced.

or maybe:

2) To restore the whole 167 minutes on a new DVD of Stanley Kwan's "Actress."

I can dream....
Old 07-11-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are plenty of other great directors who are utterly unrepresented on DVD - Miklos Jancso, Theo Angelopoulos (expect for Ulysses' Gaze and the R2 Eternity and a Day), Bela Tarr, Aleksandr Sokurov, Mikio Naruse, etc.

And while we're at it, let's not forget Wajda, Resnais and Chantal Akerman. For that matter, still TONS of great stuff unleased on DVD by Bunuel, Bergman, Pasolini, Fassbinder, Franju, Godard and really probably too many others to even list. Personally, I won't be truly happy until I see all fourteen thousand hours of Rivette's Amour Fou and Out 1: Spectre released on special DVD Box Sets. Let the floodgates open!
Old 07-24-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up Wajda's Man of Marble and Man of Iron dvd's - I had no idea they were available - great films - I hope the dvds are OK. MGE/Vision label at my local Border's. $18.99 (used the 15% coupon from the paper - if you can find one and have a Border's nearby).
Old 07-25-02, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Michael Estes

I'm hoping you moved there because:

1) You are putting together a DVD box set of the "turnover trilogy plus one" by Fruit Chan. All in the OAR and enhanced.

or maybe:

2) To restore the whole 167 minutes on a new DVD of Stanley Kwan's "Actress."

I can dream....
Here's some answers:

1) No. But I did I see "Hollywood Hong Kong", his newest. Pretty good, but surprisingly uneven considering his other works like "Made in Hong Kong" and "Durian Durian".

2) Hmmm.... I can try asking Stanley for you. He's on vacation though.
Old 07-26-02, 08:07 AM

The Actress (Centre Stage) running time

I am interested in the actual running time of this film. IMDB says 167 minutes. I see that the VCD and VHS is 141 minutes. My Mega Star DVD is only 121. Since I have only seen this on DVD, I do not know exactly what was cut or why it was edited. There are certain sections where the editing feels almost arbitrary, but having never seen the unedited version, I can not say for sure. It is a shame to slice up this (or, of course, any other) film, as I felt that Kwan was telling an important story in an interesting manner. I want to see this in it's complete version in order to understand his complete vision. Regardless, some of the shot compositions are almost glorious in their complexity and depth.
Old 07-26-02, 10:15 PM

I'll ask Stanley what's the running time of his complete edit of the film He said he'll call me when he gets back into town.