Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How do video rental stores get amary cover inserts for snappers

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rented "Heist "at my local Hollywood video and it's cover was in an amary case. In the store it's in a snapper. How come?
Old 03-21-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I worked at Hollywood Video until last night, what they do is just cut the sides off and put it in an amary. You might notice stuff cut off from the sides. Hollywood must die!!!
Old 03-21-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
I worked at Hollywood Video until last night, what they do is just cut the sides off and put it in an amary. You might notice stuff cut off from the sides. Hollywood must die!!!
Really? I admit it's been a while since I've purchased a snapper, but I thought snappers were primarily cardboard. The covers I've seen at Hollywood Video were printed on paper.
Old 03-21-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
They are printed copies made specifically for Hollywood. Some are high quality, some look like they were done on a photocopier. I'm not sure if Hollywood does it themselves at corporate, or if the have a deal with WB to produce them.
Old 03-21-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Are we a tad bit bitter?
Old 03-21-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Abob Teff
They are printed copies made specifically for Hollywood. Some are high quality, some look like they were done on a photocopier. I'm not sure if Hollywood does it themselves at corporate, or if the have a deal with WB to produce them.
Well... I'm not complaining. I bought a few PVD from Hollywood that were supposed to be snappers (i.e. Kiss of the Dragon, Romeo Must Die) and they were in amary cases with a high quality cover. Only missing the inserts.
Old 03-21-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kiss of The Dragon is from Fox and is in an Amaray.
Old 03-21-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ummmm, yeah, we did that during the "SNAPPER CONVERSION," but since about September, all rental cases that would originally have snappers come pre-packaged that way. I'm suprised as an employee you didn't know that.

Examples included moulin rouge, cats and dogs, exit wounds, driven, see spot run, joe dirt, doctor zhivago, and pretty much any other title that would be in a snapper case or other wierd packaging that has come out since the first week in September.

It happens somewhere at corporate, because they are actually covers, not cardboard snapper conversions.

robyn
Old 03-21-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is why hollywood is great and blows blockbuster away. i'm not sure who prints the sheets, i would think warner. and if it is them it pisses me off still that they bow to hollywood but not the consumer. atleast if they are gonna print pro copies the least they could if offer them to the public too.

anyway, i emailed hollywood long ago and asked if they would/could sell the sheets. i got a email beck rather quickly saying that they couldn't legally sell them but if i gave the guy my address he would see if he could gather a few, and sure enough a week later i get a large envolope in the mail with all the sheets to that date. it didn't have swordfish which had just come out though, and inpired my writing to them but i was able to pick it up and the dvd when they did the 2 for 20 deal.