Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead or Alive III on XBOX

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Dead or Alive III on XBOX

What's the big deal?

I bought this game and sure the graphics are neat and the action wild....but no more than any other fighting game. Why is it the salesboys in all the stores push this game so heavily?

Even the boobs don't bounce as much as other DOA games....

Can someone help me figure this out?
Old 01-30-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

anyone?
Old 01-30-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because it shows off the graphics power of the Xbox better than almost any other game available for the system. (Halo would be a close second)

D
Old 01-30-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. It's a fine game for what it is, but it's hardly ground breaking. I think some people just get caught up in the hype.
Old 01-30-02, 11:35 PM

Its faster than any of the other DOA games.
The spead is about 50% faster than the PS2 and DC versions.
I know, I have all three.
We decided to do a tourny over here, me and about 5 friends.
When we got to the X-box round, everyone sucked for about 4 fights because the speed increase is staggering when you go from one system to another.
Old 01-31-02, 12:02 AM

You like fighting games?
You have an XBox?
Then you'll love "Kabuki Warriors!"
Do you really believe any self-respecting salesman is gonna deliever THAT pitch?
Seriously, though, it is a jaw-droppingly beautiful game and plays very well, though I think the standard XBox controller's buttons are too close together to be truly effective, as it's too easy to accidentally confuse them with one another. However, a lot of the fun of the game is to be had when played with friends. The Tag Matches are great!!! If you're a good player, you can start a combo with your first player and tag out to your second and link the moves together into one massive combo, because there's no load time needed to do the swap. If you don't have anyone else to play with, it's still a very good game, but fighting games are all about multiplayer experiences, which is yet another reason "Kabuki Warriors" is such a steaming pile of poo. What designer in their right mind makes a 1-player fighting game?!?!?
Old 01-31-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm telling you I really like this game with multiplayer. Me and my friends have spent more time playing 2 on 2 tag matches than we have four player Halo. We have spent A LOT of time on this game. It's just very addictive. I'm a monster with Jann Lee. No one can beat me. That's right NO ONE!!!
Old 01-31-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, alot of people bash this game for all sorts of reasons. I love the game. I have played all versions of the Dead or Alive games(PS, PS2, DC, and Xbox) and the Xbox version is by far the best looking and best playing version out there. The game engine is just different, and I think that's why so many people hate it. I really hate when players say stuff like"It's not realistic" or "it's a scrub game"

Well, it's a video game....there's no law that says a game has to be realistic.

Yes it may be button masher friendly, but so are Tekken and Capcom's Versus Series games.

My friends and I go at it for hours on this game, and we love it more than any other 3D fighting game out there...followed closely by Virtua Fighter Series.

And the bouncing boobs is added in there as a novelty....it can be toned down in the options.

My heart will always belong to 2D fighting games, but this 3D game has made me think again. It's that fun.

By the way, Spainlinx0....my girlfriend alone owns your Jan Lee for free with Ayane

JesseCrx
Old 01-31-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

First of all I'M NOT BASHING THIS GAME.

This game looks GREAT and is a generally fun.

It's simply not as JAWDROPPING --to me personally--- as some would have me believe.

Granted, I never bought the other versions of this game but I have played them...so this could be the reason why I'm not that blown away.

...and I understand getting caught up in the "hype" because I'm a HUGE HALO FAN. But I'm sure there are many out there who think HALO is just ok too.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-31-02 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-31-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try playing it on a Sony Vega HDTV tube with 16X9 through HD Component cables and you will see what I am talkin about. When I can look at characters clothes and make out the texture by the kind of detail that is on them, to me that is jawdropping!

JC
Old 01-31-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by jessecrx
Try playing it on a Sony Vega HDTV tube with 16X9 through HD Component cables and you will see what I am talkin about. When I can look at characters clothes and make out the texture by the kind of detail that is on them, to me that is jawdropping!

JC
I will have to do that my friend
Old 01-31-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Part of it is probably because I haven't played a fighter in the last coupla years or so, aside from Capcom vs SNK on my NGPC, but I've had a blast with this. My only problem is that the single player game is only about 8 enemies long, and the end boss really sucks. I also haven't been able to figure out whether or not there's a way to make each single player match more than 1 round long. Aside from that, I've been having a lot of fun. Dang, the counters are cool -- this is the first game I've played with something like this. Seems like there's sooo many more fighting styles than other games, ie. Brad Wong (4 different fight poses), etc., and the graphics kick ass.

Heck, the cgi endings are better than the FF movie IMO. Check out the skin textures on Jann Lee at the end -- basically photo quality. Absolutely incredible.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-31-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I think this game is less of a button masher due to the free button. You really can't just jump in without thinking bout ur attack because you'll just keep getting constantly reversed. It really adds a nice balance once you get used to it. Ayane?? I'll kill her with Jann Lee, trust me lol. I really wish this had some online play. I wonder what's going on with that rumored add-on disc.
Old 02-01-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the other DOA on the other systems, and they were ok there but on the xbox, i'm not impressed. Maybe because just a sequel, maybe cause there isnt that much of a reply value. I think i'll just stick with the other DOA's I just sorta feel like i wasted 50 bucks. my 2.2 cents
Old 02-01-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering, are the cut scenes. Real-time rendered or movies?
Old 02-01-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I look at it like this....when is a fighting game really fun without someone else to play with?? Sure the computer AI may test you a bit but the fun in this game comes from playing someone, or 3 other people in a tag match with the energy levels turned up, with no time limit! I also liked how they toned down the reversal damages....they were insane on the older versions. Brad Wong is a bad ass

JC
Old 02-01-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by mmconhea
I was wondering, are the cut scenes. Real-time rendered or movies?
Well, the scenes before each fight are rendered with the in-game engine as far as I can tell, but the the ending vid for each character is a short cgi movie.

Tuan Jim

edit -- my favorite movies: Jann Lee, most of the Ninja vids.
Old 02-01-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What how could Christie not be your favorite ending????? J/K Jann Lee is a bad ass.