Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some upgrading advice.....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi first let me tell you my situation...I am a college student so most of this equipments gets used in fairly small places and I'm not looking for the best of the best...I'm just looking to add SOMETHING more to my setup for about $200. Let me tell you what I have:

Visual
Television: 27" Sony Wega.
GE Old School DVD Player.

Audio
Reciever: Kenwood VR-405
Center Channel: Polk Monitor CS 100.
Mains(left/right): Bose 201 DR(please dont flame, I enjoy them).
Rears: Standard 25 Watt Kenwoods that came with my HTIB.
Sub: Sony SWMA20.

Wiring
DVD to TV: A real nice AR S-Video wire.
Speakers to reciever: Standard issue.
Subwoofer to reciever:Standard issue.

Some things I'm not really thinking about upgrading include the mains, sub, center, and TV. I'd really like to push the audio up to a noticeable difference if possible....but I really do enjoy the setup I have now. Would I notice a change in video quality if I get a better DVD player with component video instead of s-video? I was also thinking of treating myself to one of those nice sony lcd universal remotes...but I'd rather improve the quality of my system and buy that in the summer....Any help would be great! And keep in mind I can spend no more than $200! Please just post a reply as I'm having massive e-mail problems!
Old 12-27-01, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Er...I think you should probably save your money and not buy one of the Sony LCD universal remotes yet, since they cost about $170. Yes, component video would be noticeably clearer and nicer than S-video. If you only have $200 to spend, I might consider getting a new pair of speakers, either the fronts or rears.
Old 12-27-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Since you are asking for advice I would keep the $200. I do not believe there is anything to add that would improve your equipment any great amount.

I agree that replacing the fronts or the rears would be a good move. I am glad you like your Bose but I would save the money for some Polk bookshelf speakers to match the Polk center you have.
Old 12-28-01, 10:31 AM

Match

I agree with Brian... Get matching speakers upfront, and throw the Bose in the rear and possibly save the Kenwood's for a rear center option (when and if you ever decide to upgrade).