Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please give me suggestions on wide-screen TVs

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I am now in the market for a wide-screen TV set.

But I am clueless as to what's out there.

My question is: For around $2,000, what's the best/biggest wide-screen I can get and where?

Also, how much less than retail should I expect to pay?
Old 12-27-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the December 2001 Consumer Reports (or pay ~$4 for a one month access to their website to see it), though this is what they say:

"HD-ready sets: You might want to consider an HD-ready TV if you have a high-definition satllite receiver or watch lots of movies on DVD. all the sets were fine peformers. The 27-inch Saumsung TSL2795HF, $1,100, is the least expensive HD-ready TV we tested. At $1,400, the 32-inch Samsung TSL3293HF doesn't cost much more than some high-priced analog sets."

and:

"Entry-level digital: The 27-inch, HD-ready Samsung TSL2795HF, $1,100, performed as well as larger HD-ready sets costing twice as much."

There is also the ratings for five TVs, with the following descriptions:

Sony KV-32DBR450 (32 inch) ($2,000) (very good with excellent s-video and HD picture, lots of a/v inputs, but expensive. Very good remote."

Samsung TSL2795HF (27 inch) ($1,100) (very good, with excellent s-video and HD picture; low price for an HD-ready set. Headphone jack. Auto clock set)

Sony KV-36XBR450 (36 inch) ($2,500) (very good, with excellent s-video and HD picture, but expensive. Excellent sound from internal speakers. Very good remote)

Samsung TSL3293HF (32 inch) ($1,400) (very good, with excellent s-video and HD picture; good price for an HD-ready set. Headphone jack. Auto clock set. No alarm timer)

Panasonic CT-32HX41 (32 inch) ($1,700) Very good, with excellent s-video and HD picture, lots of a/v inputs. Headphone jack.)

Finally, I don't have an HD-ready TV, I am just passing on this information from a Consumer Reports magazine which I just happened to have at my desk. So, none of this advice is from personal experience.
Old 12-27-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Thanks for the help, but none of these are wide-screen TVs. They are just HD-ready TVs with the standard aspect ratio.
Old 12-27-01, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend a Mitsubishi.
Old 12-27-01, 09:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I wouldn't use Consumer Reports to evaluate anything home theater oriented unless it was the UL rating of the equipment.
Old 12-27-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mitsubishi or Toshiba.
Old 12-27-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gross@iastate
I would recommend a Mitsubishi.
Stay away from Mitsubishi. They have a RED PUSH ERROR. If you are watching a move that has a yellow taxi drive by it will look orange. I had one and it went back. There was nothing they could do to correct the problem. If you are color blind you will notice this right away. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-28-01, 02:43 PM

If you are looking for a rear projection TV both Panasonic (47") and Toshiba (42") have 16 x 9 sets that list for under $2000.00. Unfortunatley when you add in the sales tax, if that exists in your state,and extended warranty the price can climb to $2200- 2300.

I own a 56" Toshiba 16 x 9 and can highly recommend Toshiba. Toshiba sets offer many high end features, such as 3:2 pulldown, 5 viewing formats, all viewing formats except progressive scan signal. The last is a very important feature because it allows the user to view letterbox DVD's in progresive scan. Good luck.
Old 12-28-01, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by TheKobra

Stay away from Mitsubishi. They have a RED PUSH ERROR. If you are watching a move that has a yellow taxi drive by it will look orange. I had one and it went back. There was nothing they could do to correct the problem. If you are color blind you will notice this right away. Just my thoughts.

This has been blown out of proportion. I have the WS 55809 and yellow is in fact yellow. Red Push is noticable on flesh tones not with other colors. Faces will have a red tint. It only affects the other colors if you don't adjust the color and tint controls correctly. I adjusted my set with the AVIA DVD and it looks great. The Red push problem is common on a lot of RPTVs and can be corrected easily.

I suggest that you vist the hometheaterspot.com. There is much more information available.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi