Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Friends R2 or R4

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends R2 or R4

Hello,

Does anyone know that if the TV series Friends of R2 or R4 suffers from 4% speedup?

Thanks,

MFMahler
Old 08-21-01, 03:46 PM

That's inherent to PAL... if you go that route.. get the R4 versions.. you get a much better exchange rate to AU than with the UK
Old 08-21-01, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... coincidence or not?... someone named 'Gideon Tam' from Brunswick NJ asked the exact same question on the HTF... this was my reply:

...all program material that was originally filmed at 24fps will inevitably and unavoidably 'suffer' from the c.4% 'speedup' that is inherent in the PAL 25fps system - which is used in R2/Europe etc. (but not in R2/Japan, which is NTSC) and in R4/Australia etc. (but not in R4/South America, which - I believe but am not sure - is NTSC as well)...

...that said, in the past three decades a few hundred million people the world over have happily watched PAL TV without worrying about image - and sound! - speedup... just as, during that same period, several hundred million more people the world over have happily watched NTSC TV without worrying about the - equally inevitable and unavoidable - nefarious side effects resulting from that pesky '3-2 pull-down' business...

WARNING!
Collecting/watching DVDs from different 'Regions'
reinforces latent anal retentive tendencies!

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 08-21-01 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-24-01, 10:15 AM

Get the R4 versions, they are also encoded for R2 but work out half the price of the Uk versions (they do when buying from the UK anyway), not only that they come in amaray cases while the Uk versions are in snappers.

cheapest place I've found is devoted.com.au, I got a whole season for under £30.00.

Seasons 1-6 contain 8 episodes each disk while season 7 has 4 episodes on one side and extended cuts on the other. only the first disc has been released in R4 while here in the Uk we have the first available.

Hope this helps !
Old 08-28-01, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by utero
Get the R4 versions, they are also encoded for R2 but work out half the price of the Uk versions (they do when buying from the UK anyway), not only that they come in amaray cases while the Uk versions are in snappers.

cheapest place I've found is devoted.com.au, I got a whole season for under £30.00.

Seasons 1-6 contain 8 episodes each disk while season 7 has 4 episodes on one side and extended cuts on the other. only the first disc has been released in R4 while here in the Uk we have the first available.

Hope this helps !
Do the Seasons come in boxed sets - 3 discs per set?

Also, what is the best way to ship them and will there be problems with customs if I order all 6 seasons (to U.S.)???
Old 08-28-01, 02:19 AM

The R4's don't some in boxes for each season but you don't gain anything in extras so it's pretty pointless. The R2's can be bought in boxsets but they are far more expensive.

As for shipping all the seasons in one go I cannot say if you'll get charged customs, I have no experience of the US side of things. However Devoted do mark things as gifts which helps but ordering all the seasons in one go would increase your chances of getting hit.

Why not order two seasons first and see what happens ?
Old 08-28-01, 04:45 AM

Just a note...

The R4 versions of Friends are going to be released as actual season by season box sets, I believe on 10th October.

I don't know what the pricing will be like, but you may like to wait until something firmer is announced. Presumably they will be the individual releases in a slip case, but I would guess that they will be priced at a reasonable discount compared to the individual DVDs.

Ian