Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony's Funimation Global Group acquires Crunchyroll (update: Funimation to unify under Crunchyroll brand)

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Sony's Funimation Global Group acquires Crunchyroll (update: Funimation to unify under Crunchyroll brand)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 02:55 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: Sony's Funimation Global Group acquires Crunchyroll (update: Funimation to unify under Crunchyroll br

https://help.funimation.com/hc/en-us...remium-Pricing (Aug 31)

New Premium Pricing

Has the price of my Funimation subscription changed?

Beginning August 31, 2022, the price of some Funimation Premium plans have changed. These changes will be reflected in your next billing cycle starting on October 5, 2022, and charged to your current payment method on file.

See the new plan prices below for our ad-free options. If you want to make any changes to your subscription, please visit your account page.

Why is the price changing?

No one likes prices going up, but there are times when we just have to raise them. As you know, Funimation is transitioning to a unified subscription service with Crunchyroll. A necessary step to achieve completion of this unification is for Funimation to adjust the prices for some of our Premium plans.

When will the price change come into effect?

The price increase for new Funimation Premium plan subscribers is effective as of August 31, 2022. If you are an existing Premium Plan subscriber, these changes will be reflected in your next billing cycle (monthly or annual) starting October 5, 2022.

Do I need to take any action?

No, all changes will be reflected automatically in your next billing cycle starting on October 5, 2022, and charged to your current payment method on file. To avoid any increased plan charges, you may also cancel your Premium Plan at any time before your next billing cycle after October 5, 2022.

Where can I see my payment details and pricing?

You can review your current Funimation plan and billing details by visiting My Account. Please note that if you are already a Funimation subscriber, you'll see these changes reflected in your next billing cycle starting on October 5, 2022.

Funimation Annual Price

Existing annual Premium Plan members will be notified of applicable price changes along with their annual subscription renewal notice.

It's unclear which regions this applies to.

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-u...e-Increase-FAQ (updated 3 days ago)
Price Increase FAQ

When do these prices apply?

Our new prices will appear on charges after 10/31 for existing customers, and for new customers after 9/26.

What do I get for the additional cost?

With these changes we can continue the expansion of show content, we get to keep adding more dubs, and offer more Anime and Manga services and content. You can already see the huge increases in shows already added. As always, we are committed to connecting you to the best Anime and Manga products and services anywhere in the world.

Where can I see my payment details and pricing?

You can review your current Crunchyroll plan and billing details by logging in and visiting your account page.

Crunchyroll Annual Membership Price

Existing annual Premium Plan members will be notified of applicable price changes along with their annual subscription renewal notice.
Old 09-30-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Sony's Funimation Global Group acquires Crunchyroll (update: Funimation to unify under Crunchyroll br

Wait, why is there still a Funimation service to begin with that's not just a Crunchyroll plan?

I migrated my plan over to Crunchyroll but they somehow kept my Funimation access. If they autorenew me at a higher rate on what is basically a dead platform...
Old 09-30-22, 07:36 PM
WTK

I'm assuming CR is trying to convince Funimation only subscribers to come to Crunchyroll. There are still select content (getting smaller) that gets upload to both sites.
Old 10-04-22, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WTK
I'm assuming CR is trying to convince Funimation only subscribers to come to Crunchyroll. There are still select content (getting smaller) that gets upload to both sites.
I thought they said a while ago that the new stuff was only going to Crunchyroll? Funi still has some things that haven't migrated over (I should check if they finally did the One Piece dub or not)
Old 10-04-22, 09:55 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought they said a while ago that the new stuff was only going to Crunchyroll? Funi still has some things that haven't migrated over (I should check if they finally did the One Piece dub or not)
Funimation site is streaming My Hero Academia: Season 6, Pop Team Epic: Season 2, and Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: Season 2 (so far).

Crunchyroll doesn't have One Piece dub. CR is adding catalog titles very slowly (typically on Tuesdays).
Old 10-05-22, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right, I should've said "all new series"
As of Mar 1, 2022, existing and new Crunchyroll subscribers will have access to library and simulcast content previously exclusive to Funimation. All new series from the upcoming Spring 2022 season will stream exclusively on Crunchyroll; Funimation will only continue to add new episodes of current series. For more details visit the Crunchyroll Release Calendar here.
https://help.funimation.com/hc/en-us...oes-that-mean-

I gave up on them moving the queue/watchlist over, which they also said they've been working on since March.
Old 10-24-22, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already cancelled my Funimation subscription and opted to watch crunchyroll exclusive titles on other services through VPN instead. It's bad enough I pay for a whole bunch of services. It's getting oversaturated.
Old 10-24-22, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
I've already cancelled my Funimation subscription and opted to watch crunchyroll exclusive titles on other services through VPN instead. It's bad enough I pay for a whole bunch of services. It's getting oversaturated.
Maybe I'm not understanding, if you subscribed to Funimation before why not just subscribe to Crunchyroll instead? Some kind of stand against them?
Old 02-21-23, 07:38 PM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.195161

Crunchyroll Lays Off Approximately 85 Employees Globally

Sources: Not cost-saving measure but resolving redundancy between Crunchyroll, Funimation

Anime streaming service Crunchyroll laid off about 85 employees last week. According to one employee with knowledge about the recent terminations, the layoffs included employees in the United States, Moldova, France, Germany, and Australia and primarily affected the company's marketing and engineering sectors. The source did not know if the layoffs only affected full-time employees or included contractors.

According to Crunchyroll's job listing page, the company has 12 offices with locations in Culver City in California, San Francisco, Dallas, New York City, Melbourne in Australia, Paris and Roubaix in France, Berlin, Tokyo, Chișinău in Moldova, Lausanne in Switzerland, and London.

Crunchyroll President Rahul Purini informed staff about the layoffs in an email on February 16. The email cites the integration of the Funimation and Crunchyroll teams as the reason behind the terminations. At an "All Staff" meeting on Tuesday, Crunchyroll leadership informed employees that those who were laid off will continue to receive benefits throughout the severance period. Multiple sources cited that the decision was not a cost-saving measure but rather a matter of resolving redundant roles.

According to one source, Crunchyroll had an estimated 1,400 full-time employees prior to the layoffs.

Anime News Network contacted Crunchyroll for comment, but a company representative referred to Purini's email. The company declined to provide the exact number of layoffs or current full-time employees at Crunchyroll.

Old 02-21-23, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured they'd do this after they sunset Funimation, but that's taking forever so I guess they couldn't wait.
Old 04-03-23, 11:58 PM
WTK

https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us/articles/14089090277908
VRV Sunset FAQ: What You Need to Know
  • Why is VRV ending?
    Our goal at VRV has always been to bring our fans NEXT LEVEL streaming content with access to the LARGEST anime library in the world. VRV merging with Crunchyroll enables us to continue to deliver on those goals.
  • What will happen to my VRV credits?
    All VRV credits are still valid and can be viewed on your accounts page. They will be applied to your Crunchyroll Premium membership.
  • Will I still be billed by VRV?
Your VRV subscription will be transitioned to a Crunchyroll subscription. Any future billing will be through Crunchyroll going forward.
  • What’s going to happen to my VRV gift card?
    All redeemed gift card balances will apply to your Crunchyroll Premium membership.
Any unredeemed gift cards are still valid and redeemable through your VRV accounts page. Once redeemed, all remaining credits will be applied to your Crunchyroll Premium membership. After sunset, please use the customer service link below if you still have an unredeemed gift card.
  • What will happen to VRV Select and Mondo channels?
    Content from these channels will no longer be available after the VRV service ends.
  • Can I still watch my favorite anime series?
    All Crunchyroll Channel content is now available at the same tier on Crunchyroll. All new series from the Spring 2023 Anime Season will stream exclusively on Crunchyroll.
  • Will my Watch History be available on Crunchyroll?
    Yes! If you have linked your Crunchyroll account, your VRV Watch History and Queue will be transferred to the Crunchyroll platform.
  • How do I log in to Crunchyroll from VRV?
    If you already have a Crunchyroll account linked to your VRV membership, just log in to Crunchyroll as usual. All of your Watch History and Queue will be automatically transferred from VRV to Crunchyroll.

If you don’t have a Crunchyroll account, log into Crunchyroll using your VRV username and password and we’ll automatically create you a Crunchyroll account using your VRV credentials. Once we create your new Crunchyroll account, you will be prompted to transfer your data.
  • What if I don’t have a Crunchyroll account?
That’s OK. Use your VRV login information when creating a new Crunchyroll account and we’ll automatically merge your VRV data.
  • I have both Crunchyroll and VRV accounts, but they’re not linked. How do I save my data for both?
Log into Crunchyroll using your Crunchyroll username and password, and we’ll automatically merge your data. If that doesn’t work, contact us and we will help you from there.
  • Can I subscribe to Crunchyroll even if I didn’t have a VRV account?
    Absolutely! We have multiple options available to you.
Old 04-04-23, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I kinda forgot about all this. So are both streamers still going? Is there not just one yet between Funimation and Crunchy?
Old 04-04-23, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
I kinda forgot about all this. So are both streamers still going? Is there not just one yet between Funimation and Crunchy?
Yes, Funimation is still running. Not everything that was on Funimation has moved over to Crunchyroll. They're still migrating but I thinks some of them are stuck on contracts and may never move over, but I don't understand what their plan is since they asked everyone who wants brand new stuff to go to Crunchyroll period, non stop.
Old 04-13-23, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I presume they'll shut Funimation down once the contracts end. Their lack of frank direction on this issue indicates something is legally preventing them from simply merging the services completely.
Old 04-14-23, 11:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I presume they'll shut Funimation down once the contracts end. Their lack of frank direction on this issue indicates something is legally preventing them from simply merging the services completely.
When Sony bought Funimation, Gen Fukunaga retained a 5% stake in the latter. I have yet to find any evidence that Sony eventually bought out his stake. Maybe that's the issue?
Old 12-18-23, 07:24 PM
WTK

https://help.funimation.com/hc/en-us...f-my-download-

Starting Dec 28, 2023, downloading content and offline viewing will no longer be available on Funimation.
Old 02-07-24, 12:20 PM
WTK

https://help.funimation.com/hc/en-us...nd-of-services

Funimation End of services

As part of Crunchyroll’s unification of fan services announced in March 2022, the Funimation app and website will sunset on April 2, 2024.

Rest assured, this transition will not impact your access to the vast library of anime available on Crunchyroll. We remain committed to delivering the best anime streaming experience and will continue to expand our offerings to cater to your diverse interests!Why should I have Crunchyroll?

Spoiler:
Crunchyroll offers several benefits to its users! Here are some of the key benefits:
  • Extensive Anime Collection: Crunchyroll offers a vast library of anime series, giving you access to a wide range of genres and titles!
  • Simulcast Episodes: You can watch the latest episodes of your favorite anime series shortly after they air in Japan, allowing you to stay up-to-date with ongoing shows.
  • Exclusive Content: Crunchyroll produces and licenses exclusive anime series and content, offering you access to unique and original shows that can only be found on the platform.
  • Crunchyroll Game Vault: Unlimited access to a growing library of premium mobile games for our Mega Fan and Ultimate Fan subscribers.
  • Offline Viewing: Download your favorite anime episodes and manga chapters to watch anytime.
  • Multiple Language Options: Crunchyroll offers anime series in various languages, including English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German, catering to a diverse audience!
  • Stream on Multiple Devices:Watch your favorite anime series on multiple devices simultaneously

Why is Funimation ending?

At Funimation, our mission has always been to provide our fans with an exceptional streaming experience and access to the largest anime library in the world. The collaboration between Funimation and Crunchyroll allows us to continue delivering on that mission and bring you the best of anime content.

When will the sunset happen?

The Funimation service is ending on April 2, 2024.

Is all the Funimation catalog available on Crunchyroll?

Most of the content has been migrated already! Please keep an eye on our news page and Anime Lineup for further updates. Our team is working daily to bring more content to all of our fans.

I migrated my account, but the language settings for some of my shows are different from what I watched. Why is this happening?

If the language of the dubbing or subtitles that you were watching on Funimation is not available on Crunchyroll, we will automatically default the content to the available language in your region. You can change the language of the audio or subtitles from the video player with these steps.

Is my Funimation subscription going to be transferred to Crunchyroll? Will the price of my subscription change?

Your Funimation subscription will be automatically transferred to Crunchyroll*.

Going forward, the subscription fees will be reflected in the next billing cycle through Crunchyroll or the third-party access platform, following Crunchyroll's pricing. To access Crunchyroll subscriptions, users will need to log in to Crunchyroll using the same credentials they used for Funimation.

*Please note that the transfer of your Funimation subscription to Crunchyroll may vary depending on your specific payment platform, subscription type and region. Please refer to the exceptions listed below for more information.

How do I transfer my Watch History and queue to Crunchyroll?

Funimation users with no prior Crunchyroll account will see a confirmation message that their Watch History and Watch lists are on their way to be transferred:

Funimation users with an active Crunchyroll subscription or a Crunchyroll free account will need to confirm the changes first with these simple steps:
  1. Log in to Crunchyroll using your Funimation credentials
  2. You will be prompted with three options to sync your account:
    1. Combine Funimation and Crunchyroll data
    2. Replace my Crunchyroll data with Funimation data
    3. Save Crunchyroll data only
  3. Confirm the changes by selecting YES, I AM SURE
  • Or NO, TAKE ME BACK if you want to change the option selected

I accidentally selected the wrong option. What can I do?

If you selected an incorrect option, or you changed your mind, contact our support team for assistance.

If my Crunchyroll email is different from Funimation, can I still merge the accounts?

No, it is only possible to merge the accounts if you use the same email address for both accounts. If you already have a Crunchyroll account under different credentials, contact our support team to see what options are available.

I’m a Funimation subscriber, but I only have a free Crunchyroll account, will my subscription and data be transferred?

Yes, your Funimation subscription will be transferred automatically. Future subscription fees will be reflected in your next billing cycle through Crunchyroll or via your third-party access platform to your current payment method on file.

During the migration process, you will have the option to choose whether you want to keep your Funimation Watch History and Queue or opt for Crunchyroll's Watch History and Queue.

I have never had Crunchyroll before, will my subscription and data still be transferred?

Yes, your Funimation subscription will be transferred automatically, and you can access it by logging into Crunchyroll with your Funimation credentials.

Can I get a refund for my Funimation subscription?

To cancel your Funimation subscription, you can do so from your Funimation account settings before April 2, 2024. After this date, you can cancel your Funimation subscription from your Crunchyroll account settings. For refunds, please reach out to our support team to see the available options based on your payment method.

What is going to happen to my digital copies?

We understand that you may have concerns about your digital copies from Funimation. These Digital copies available on Funimation were a digital access to the content available on the DVDs or Blu-rays purchased.

Please note that Crunchyroll does not currently support Funimation Digital copies, which means that access to previously available digital copies will not be supported. However, we are continuously working to enhance our content offerings and provide you with an exceptional anime streaming experience. We appreciate your understanding and encourage you to explore the extensive anime library available on Crunchyroll.

My Funimation subscription did not migrate automatically to Crunchyroll. What can I do?

If you have logged in to Crunchyroll using your Funimation credentials, and you are not seeing any prompts to transfer your Funimation data, or if your subscription is not showing up, please reach out to our customer support team. We will be happy to assist you with any issues or questions you may have.

Exceptions

While all of these users will be able to transfer their Funimation Watch History and Queue to Crunchyroll, they may notice some variations in their Funimation subscription transfer as instructed below:
  • Subscribers located in Canada:
    • If you have a Funimation monthly subscription, you will experience a currency change on your next billing cycle.
    • If you have a Funimation annual subscription, your current Premium subscription is not available on the Crunchyroll platform, so your subscription will be canceled. However, you can migrate your Funimation Watch History and Funimation Queue to Crunchyroll, and start a new subscription!
  • Legacy subscriptions:
    • As part of our transition to Crunchyroll, the price of your new Crunchyroll plan will increase on your next billing cycle and charge your current payment method on file. Future billing will be provided by Crunchyroll. You will receive an email with more information.
  • Roku Pay subscribers:
    • Your subscription will be changed to a Crunchyroll Fan plan, and these changes will be reflected on your next billing cycle and charged to your current payment method on file with Roku. If you want to make any changes to your subscription, please visit your account settings through Roku.
  • Subscribers located in Chile:
    • To maintain your Subscription, Funimation Watch History and Funimation Queue, you will need to opt in and confirm your Crunchyroll account by April 2, 2024, or your current Funimation subscription will be canceled. You can confirm your account by logging into Crunchyroll using your Funimation credentials. If you already have a Crunchyroll account, your accounts will be merged, and you will be prompted to migrate your user information at login.
Old 02-07-24, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh:

What is going to happen to my digital copies?

We understand that you may have concerns about your digital copies from Funimation. These Digital copies available on Funimation were a digital access to the content available on the DVDs or Blu-rays purchased.

Please note that Crunchyroll does not currently support Funimation Digital copies, which means that access to previously available digital copies will not be supported. However, we are continuously working to enhance our content offerings and provide you with an exceptional anime streaming experience. We appreciate your understanding and encourage you to explore the extensive anime library available on Crunchyroll.
Old 02-07-24, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I figured those digital copies included with Funimation BDs would eventually go away. It's why I never bothered redeeming the vast majority of those digital copies. I think it played a role in why they dropped the Funimation brand and service, if I'm being frank.
Old 02-26-24, 09:56 PM
WTK

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/26/2...y-compensation

Funimation’s solution for wiping out digital libraries could be good, if it works

Crunchyroll president Rahul Purini says the company is working with customers to provide an ‘appropriate value’ for titles that will be lost in April.

The president of Crunchyroll, Rahul Purini, announced that the company is working to compensate customers who will lose their digital libraries in the upcoming Funimation / Crunchyroll merger on April 2nd.

“[We] are working really hard directly with each [customer] to ensure that they have an appropriate value for what they got in the digital copy initially,” Purini tells Verge editor-in-chief Nilay Patel during this week’s Decoder podcast. “As people reach out to us through customer service, we are responding and handling each of those requests as they prefer.”

When asked what “appropriate value” meant, Purini said, “So it could be that they get access to a digital copy on any of the existing other services where they might be able to access it. It could be a discount access to our subscription service so they can get access to the same shows through our subscription service.”

These options haven’t been formally announced or detailed, and Purini went on to say that it was something Crunchyroll customers are currently taking advantage of. My attempts to secure the “appropriate value” for some digital copies have, so far, been unsuccessful.

The original Funimation offer allowed customers who purchased Funimation disks to redeem a code for a digital copy accessible via a digital rights locker similar to Movies Anywhere. In 2017, Sony acquired Funimation for $148 million. That purchase was followed by its $1.175 billion acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T, which was completed in 2021. With the two anime streaming services under one owner, consolidation was the next step.

The merger came with the news that the Funimation streaming service would be shutting down, taking users’ digital copy libraries with it despite Funimation’s website still promising digital copies would be available to stream “forever” (subject, of course, to a terms of use agreement that most folks don’t read).

When asked on Decoder why customers were going to lose their digital libraries, Purini had a clear answer: “As we look at usage of that and the number of people that were redeeming those and using them, it was just not a feature that was available in Crunchyroll and isn’t in our roadmap.”

He went on to assure Decoder listeners that Crunchyroll had a solution in place for customers losing their libraries. “I will say these are customers that we value a lot and are working really hard directly with each one of them to ensure that they have an appropriate value for what they got in the digital copy initially.”

But in practice, Crunchyroll’s policy seems inconsistent and difficult to take advantage of.

I opened a customer service ticket with Funimation expressing concern that my digital copies were going away in the coming sunset and asking what, if anything, the company would do about it. I received two emails that were essentially the same boilerplate customer service response apologizing for the inconvenience but not providing any kind of solution to my issue.

The Funimation account I used to test this was a free account that had a digital copy of The Vision of Escaflowne in its library, and I was also able to add a digital copy of Steins;Gate. In my most recent communication with Funimation customer service, I explained that because I have a free account, I will no longer be able to watch Steins;Gate digitally since that show requires a premium subscription. Additionally, The Vision of Escaflowne is not a title currently available on Crunchyroll, so unless the show is transported over when Funimation sunsets, I’d lose digital access to that as well.

I asked if Crunchyroll would at least be willing to comp me a premium subscription so I could continue to watch Steins;Gate — something Purini said the company was actively doing for customers who ask. As of publication, Crunchyroll customer service has not responded.

The Verge reached out to Crunchyroll public relations to clarify how exactly the company was working with its customers to provide an “appropriate value” for their digital libraries and if this was something it is actively doing right now or something to come in the future. We asked if it planned on communicating this to its customers, if there were any restrictions customers needed to be aware of before pursuing this, and how long this would be on offer.

Brian Eley, vice president of communications, responded in an email writing, “Funimation users who have questions about digital copies can contact Funimation here. A Funimation account associated with a digital copy redemption is required for verification.”

As frustrating as this was, this isn’t the first time Sony customers have had their digital purchases put in jeopardy. In December, PlayStation issued permanent suspensions to users from its PlayStation Network, cutting them off from their digital purchases before restoring access to those affected without offering any explanation for the bans. That same month, it also announced that it would remove a host of Discovery shows from users’ libraries due to expiring content licensing arrangements before reversing that decision. Hopefully, Crunchyroll’s handling of its users’ digital libraries will follow suit.
Old 02-27-24, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They are working hard with each customer, meaning you have to call in to complain and get lucky with your customer service rep? Why not just do a blanket remediation?
Old 02-27-24, 10:48 PM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.208086

Crunchyroll Confirms Testing A.I. for Subtitling

Company also tests using generative A.I. for different workflows

In an interview with technology news website The Verge on its Decoder podcast on Monday, Crunchyroll president Rahul Purini confirmed that the company is testing the use of generative A.I. (artificial intelligence) on subtitling and closed captioning. The testing is an effort to "optimize [their] processes" to allow them to release subtitles in more languages closer to the Japanese release date of seasonal anime episodes.
The company is also testing generative A.I. to assist users in personalizing their experience and discovering titles, and is testing A.I. in general for different workflows in the company.

Crunchyroll previously released poor-quality subtitles for the first episode of the The Yuzuki Family’s Four Sons television anime in October 2023, then removed the episode after complaints over the subtitles spread on social media and Crunchyroll's own website. It reuploaded the episode with updated subtitles after a week, explaining that it "work[ed] with the licensor of the series" for the updated subtitles.

Sony's Funimation Global Group completed its acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T on August 9, 2021, after the company first announced the acquisition in December 2020. The purchase price was US$1.175 billion, and the proceeds were paid in cash at closing. Funimation's home video releases are now listed under Crunchyroll.
Old 03-01-24, 02:14 PM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.208204

Crunchyroll States 'No Announcements About Price Change' Except for Funimation Legacy Subscribers

Some customers have price increase if switching from Funimation legacy subscription following its closure

Amidst rumors of a Crunchyroll price change for subscribers, Crunchyroll told ANN on Thursday that it had "no announcements about a price change at this time." The company clarified that some people will experience price changes if they were switching from a Funimation-only subscription to Crunchyroll. ANN also inquired about any possible price changes within the next two years, and Crunchyroll responded that it would be improbable to predict a price change for that time frame.

Funimation's website lists that the subscription price may change for some, but not all customers. Specifically, the website states that "legacy" subscribers for Funimation, who have been grandfathered into lower subscription prices even after Funimation had increased its costs, will experience a price change upon the transfer to Crunchyroll. In addition, subscribers located in Canada will experience a currency change in their subscription. In Canada, customers with a Funimation annual subscription will not find their current plan available on Crunchyroll, and thus, it will be canceled upon Funimation's closure. Funimation has sent its users emails about its closure and subscription pricing.
Old 03-08-24, 01:10 PM
WTK

https://www.polygon.com/anime/240925...ates-interview (March 7)

Crunchyroll execs respond to AI subtitle controversy and the Funimation merger

‘If it never gets there, then it never gets there’

In a recent interview with The Verge’s Decoder podcast, Crunchyroll president Rahul Purini revealed that the anime-focused streaming service was experimenting with implementing AI-generated subtitles for the service’s library of titles. Purini’s proposition was that AI could expedite the workflow of subtitling and closed captioning in order to launch episodes “as close to the Japanese release as possible” for worldwide anime fans.

Crunchyroll, which was acquired by Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. in 2021 and subsequently merged with Funimation in 2022, is arguably the largest streaming service dedicated primarily to Japanese animation. As of this past January, the post-merger subscriber base comes in at over 13 million. That market share combined with Purini’s vision for potential implementation of AI subtitles prompted some anime fans and media commentators to voice concern.

The core argument: AI technology is nowhere near sophisticated enough to adequately translate the nuances of Japanese speech and text. Then there’s the concern for how such AI would impact human translators and localization teams whose work forms the bedrock of simulcasting and simuldubbing anime.

Polygon spoke with Purini and Crunchyroll COO Gita Rebbapragada at the 2024 Crunchyroll Anime Awards to discuss the controversy and how Crunchyroll is considering the red flags from its audience.

“We hear all of those concerns,” Rebbapragada told Polygon. “The two things we are solving for are: We want to provide a meaningful viable alternative to piracy [and] we want to share in success with the creators and our partners. When the content is pirated, we are unable to share in that success with them and that is something that’s very important to us.

“We have to look at what technologies exist and how to deliver the best fan experience and the best ability to combat piracy. We’re not different in that many companies are exploring this, and many pirate sites are exploring this. Now, having said that, anime is very unique. It’s not like translating general entertainment. There are a lot of references, there’s a lot of meaning, there’s a lot of subtext. And we use human translators, obviously, right now, and I oversee the subtitling team, and they take an incredible amount of care to honor the creative intent behind the story. And so that is something we take really seriously. It’s not something that we take for granted at all. And that is an important value for us.”

In an interview with Polygon, Purini clarified that Crunchyroll is not currently using AI in subtitling.

“AI is new, we are curious to see what it can do, what it cannot do, to understand it better,” he said. “Quality is of paramount importance for us, and if we find out the technology is not to the level that it can create the best subtitles we want for our fans, then we will wait until the technology gets there. And if it never gets there, then it never gets there.”

Purini declined to comment on a timeline when asked when and how Crunchyroll might implement AI-generated subtitling and closed captioning into the company’s localization workflow. “We still don’t know if we can get them done. It’s really, really early testing so far,” he said.

Additionally, Polygon spoke with Purini about the upcoming sunset of the Funimation app and website on April 2. This move, too, has not been without its share of controversy, as digital copies of anime purchased via home video sets distributed by Funimation and redeemable via the Funimation website will no longer be accessible following the closure of the Funimation app and website.

“We understand this is a value to fans,” Purini said when asked what the company is doing to serve customers frustrated by the impending inaccessibility of their digital copies. “We are helping customers as they reach out to us on customer service. We are trying to make them whole. That could mean a discount to our subscription service, or it could mean giving them the value on a different service where they can get access to a digital copy.”

When asked if or when fans can expect the remaining anime titles on Funimation — titles such as Tenchi Muyo, The Vision of Escaflowne, and Serial Experiments Lain — that have not yet migrated over to Crunchyroll to be added to the latter’s streaming library, Purini told Polygon that company was still in the process of seeing those and more titles moved onto the platform.

“We’ve been working really hard to move all that content from Funimation to Crunchyroll,” Purini said. “The majority of that content has already been moved over to Crunchyroll. There are a handful of shows that are in the process of being moved over. I expect by April 2, everything that we can move over will get moved over. There might be a handful of shows that we do not get permission to move to Crunchyroll, and we will continue to work on those with our partners in the future.”
Old 03-08-24, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It still boggles my mind how Crunchyroll went from monetizing piracy to where it is now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.