Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I was reading old posts about Attack on Titan at some other forums, and it seems like there was a lot of criticisms for the series, manga included.

There were quite a few people who said that Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress was Attack on Titan done right.

I thought AoT was universally loved?
Anyway, I checked out the trailer, and the animation looks great, as it's done by the same studio. I even heard the voice actor for Eren in it.
I guess it's similar in that this advancing horde of monsters are trying to kill the human population, and there's even a scene showing a diagram of the monsters and their "kill" spot.

Anyone seen it?
Is it really Attack of Titan done right?
Old 12-12-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Nope, it's Attack on Titan done wrong if you ask me. I really enjoy AoT but disliked Kabaneri on a fundamental level. Just too much doesn't work for me, the lame-brain plot, the execution of the series, etc.. It's a poor mans AoT clone and nothing more. Wit made it in-between AoT seasons to cash in on the AoT fandom and obviously by the plot they intended it to be a one-off, but due to it being a bigger hit than I guess they thought it'd be, it's got the green-light for more.
Old 12-12-18, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I started to watch the first episode, and it just didn't hook me.

The monsters looked "cool" but not scary. Everything started out fast, and action-y, and yet there was no sense of fear or dread.

And it seems very much a poor man's version of AoT, storywise. The animation looks beautiful though.
Old 12-12-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed Kabaneri for what it was. But its ultimately forgettable and not really anything we haven't seen before. Not in the same class as AOT.
Old 12-12-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I don't know for sure about the criticisms you heard, but I think a lot of the hate on AoT is just a backlash because of its popularity (and maybe it being overhyped or something). Otherwise, while I like Kabaneri well enough, there was a drop in quality after the first episode and it's nowhere near the story of AoT, especially as the series evolves.
Old 12-12-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Nope, I actively dislike AoT and find its popularity mystifying as an anime fan. I forced myself to sit through the first season only because so many had claimed it was awesome. I don't even find AoT a decent anime. It's definitely something different, which I guess counts for something in today's copycat anime world.
Old 12-12-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The people praising Kabaneri as "AoT done right," were saying that AoT got dull too slow in the middle of Season 1, that the story completely forgot about key character Grisha Yeager, that the manga went off into this weird direction, and yeah, that it was overhyped.

I liked AoT because it leaned more to horror as a genre, it was different. The setting wasn't in Japan or futuristic, but apparently a pseudo medieval Europe. And we got a lot of quiet moments where they were building up the mythos of the world, and developing the characters.

On the surface, Kabaneri looks like stereotypical anime, or even a video game.
I thought it was funny how...
Spoiler:

How people get infected by the zombies and they put some little explosive over their heart to kill themselves before they turn.
It's not treated in gut-wrenching way like it should be.

And then the main character gets infected and it's just some quick solution. No real drama. You know he's going to survive.

In AoT...
Spoiler:
I thought Eren really was dead. Everyone was talking about how it's like The Walking Dead, and how anyone can get killed.
Mikasa says that she has to survive to keep Eren's memory alive.
Then when he returns...pulling on the heart strings again.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-12-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Uh... forgot about Grisha Yeager? What?
Old 12-12-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Uh... forgot about Grisha Yeager? What?
That comment was probably made before Season 2 of the anime.