Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Groundbreaking Super Robot series "BALDIOS" (1980) released on BD - Japan and USA

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Groundbreaking Super Robot series "BALDIOS" (1980) released on BD - Japan and USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few years ago "UCHU SENSHI BALDIOS", one of the greatest mecha/Super Robot series ever conceived and produced (for me THE BEST), has finally got a BD release in Japan...

(they had already announced this in 2009)

Trust me, this was a groundbreaking and intense series which presented a sci-fi twist that NOBODY ever used before and after it --- very "Nolanesque" but on an epic and grandiose level.
Plus, the series was a genuine "bridge" between the Super Robots and Real Robots genres. It was the perfect hybrid.

Discotek Media just announced the BD release of the TV series for the North-American territory. Big news.

I don't know if they will even issue the 1981's movie which provided an end to the TV series. The TV series is comprised of 34 episodes, but only the following 1981's movie finished the story.
Old 08-23-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: Groundbreaking Super Robot series "BALDIOS" (1980) released on BD - Japan and USA

If it's your favorite, why'd you choose Diapolon as your name? A fondness for football playing robots?

As a kid, I never got to watch the Super Robot shows except for maybe Raideen and GoShogun, and I always thought of Baldios as a rip off of Daitarn 3, Zambot, or Trider (which isn't true at all, that's just what my kid-self thought looking through stuff like terebi magazine). I didn't even think it was that popular in Japan, seeing as how Bandai never bothered with an SOC of it.

I'll be interested in seeing what the quality is like, was it remastered in Japan for Blu-ray? This isn't one of those SD-Blu-Ray releases where they use SD masters but use a Blu-ray just for space?

BTW, assuming this isn't just a hit and run post, thanks for posting and welcome.

Man I just looked at their twitter feed, and they're releasing GoShogun TV and, most important of all, Giant Robo.
Old 08-23-18, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Groundbreaking Super Robot series "BALDIOS" (1980) released on BD - Japan and USA

Originally Posted by fujishig
If it's your favorite, why'd you choose Diapolon as your name? A fondness for football playing robots?

I'll be interested in seeing what the quality is like, was it remastered in Japan for Blu-ray?
1- Because I'm a HUGE fan of Daiapolon too I wrote and published a book on Super Robots.

2- Baldios has a "design" inspired by Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3, but the Super Robot is far superior to them.
Not only, the series is millions of light years ahead. It's epic, tragic, intense and it is based on a sci-fi premise VERY groundbreaking and unique (no spoilers).
The pilot, Marin Reigan, is a very complex and multilayered character.

"Baldios" became popular in Japan with the release of the movie in 1981.

3- Yes, taken straight from the Japanese HD masters, which are excellent. I know it.

EDIT: thank you so much for the welcome, I'm here to stay.
Old 02-26-19, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daiapolon
1- Because I'm a HUGE fan of Daiapolon too I wrote and published a book on Super Robots.

2- Baldios has a "design" inspired by Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3, but the Super Robot is far superior to them.
Not only, the series is millions of light years ahead. It's epic, tragic, intense and it is based on a sci-fi premise VERY groundbreaking and unique (no spoilers).
The pilot, Marin Reigan, is a very complex and multilayered character.

"Baldios" became popular in Japan with the release of the movie in 1981.

3- Yes, taken straight from the Japanese HD masters, which are excellent. I know it.

EDIT: thank you so much for the welcome, I'm here to stay.
Overall the quality is marvelous but I still doubt it's a direct remastering of the show for example episode 30 shows a significant degradation in quality later episodes also show some minor quality loss.

EDIT: Confirmed from Japanese resources that the last 5 episodes are upscaled

Another issue is the high level of noise added to the video which isn't really needed for animation ( I believe this is added to avoid piracy ! )

Last edited by Q8Devilman; 02-26-19 at 07:11 AM.