DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Anime Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk-72/)
-   -   What manga have you read or/are currently reading? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/629158-what-manga-have-you-read-currently-reading.html)

big e 05-20-21 10:59 AM

Re: What manga have you read or/are currently reading?

Originally Posted by WTK (Post 13935827)
http://4NN.cx/.172988

Berserk manga creator Kentarou Miura passed away on May 6 due to acute dissecting aneurysm of the aorta. He was 54. His family held a private service.

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/...12918040391680

I just saw that on comicbookmovie.com. That really sucks and sounds like a shitty way to go. I haven't been following Berserk that close these last couple years (since the release of the new chapters has slowed to barely a trickle); anyone know how close we were to an ending? For the last decade it seems, Miura kept saying he was close, but the arcs just kept going and going (it also didn't help that he kept taking three-month breaks after releasing a handful of chapters).

fujishig 05-20-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by big e (Post 13935970)
I just saw that on comicbookmovie.com. That really sucks and sounds like a shitty way to go. I haven't been following Berserk that close these last couple years (since the release of the new chapters has slowed to barely a trickle); anyone know how close we were to an ending? For the last decade it seems, Miura kept saying he was close, but the arcs just kept going and going (it also didn't help that he kept taking three-month breaks after releasing a handful of chapters).

I would say we are not close at all, meaning it's not like it was going to wrap up in another volume or two (we are closer to the end compared to something like One Piece, though).

big e 05-21-21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13935973)
I would say we are not close at all, meaning it's not like it was going to wrap up in another volume or two (we are closer to the end compared to something like One Piece, though).

Oh, I know we're not, like, a volume away from it ending or anything. Since I really haven't paid attention to it recently, I was just wondering if there were any indications in the recent chapters or if Miura said anything during covid or even in the last couple years about how far along we were.

The Questyen 07-04-21 08:00 AM

Everything I've read in the last month or two:
Death Note: Black Edition Volume 1-6
No Longer Human (Junji Ito)
Paradise Kiss
The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition Volume 1-3
Blood on the Tracks Volume 1-6
She and Her Cat (Makoto Shinkai)
Opus (Satoshi Kon)
Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka Volume 1-8
Planetes Omnibus Volume 1-2
Monster Perfect Edition Volume 1-3
My Broken Mariko

fujishig 07-08-21 11:32 AM

Oh they collected Planetes into omnibus format now?

That's an incredible reading list, The Questyen. As an aside, have you read Goodnight PunPun?

The Questyen 07-12-21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13954997)
Oh they collected Planetes into omnibus format now?

That's an incredible reading list, The Questyen. As an aside, have you read Goodnight PunPun?

Yeah Planetes got a 2 volume omnibus release from Dark Horse. I have not read PunPun but it's on my wishlist. I've read Solanin and I have A Girl on the Shore in my unread pile.

The Questyen 07-17-21 11:24 PM

Stuff I've read since 7/4:
Monster: Perfect Edition Volumes 4-9 (such an amazing series)
A Girl on the Shore (Inio Asano)
Shino Can't Say Her Name (Oshimi Shuzo)
The Gods Lie (Kaori Ozaki)
Spy X Family Volume 1
The Strange Tale of Panorama Island (Suehiro Maruo)

TheBigDave 07-21-21 07:18 PM

Kodansha Volume 1 Free Promotion Sale!

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...8465_pg=1&cu=0

About a dozen free mangas. Vol 1 is free, Vol 2 is $0.99, and Vol 3 is $1.99

Sale ends Monday, 08/02/2021

The Questyen 07-25-21 04:57 PM

Stuff I've read since 7/17:
Ristorante Paradiso (Natsume Ono)
Danza (Natsume Ono)
Sneeze (Naoki Urasawa)
Mujirushi: The Sign of Dreams (Naoki Urasawa)
The Golden Sheep Volumes 1-3 (Kaori Ozaki)
The Dangers in My Heart Volume 1 (Norio Sakurai) (bought this on a whim and while not terrible definitely not my type of book so I won't be continuing)

The Questyen 08-02-21 08:22 PM

Stuff I've read since 7/25:
Otherworld Barbara Volume 1 & 2 Hardcovers (Moto Hagio)
Beyond the Clouds Volumes 1-3 (Nicke)
Tropic of the Sea (Satoshi Kon)
Seraphim: 266613336 Wings (Mamoru Oshii & Satoshi Kon)

The Questyen 08-09-21 11:06 AM

Stuff I've read since 8/2:
A, A' (Moto Hagio)
Dream Fossil (Satoshi Kon)
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition Volumes 1-2
Komi Can't Communicate Volumes 1-4
Mashle Volume 1
Orange: The Complete Collection Volumes 1-2

fujishig 08-09-21 11:42 AM

Ha, how did you like Mashle? It's something that when it starts, it's like "what is this amateur-hour art and Harry Potter rip off" but I feel like the comedy really comes into its own, even if it tends to be a little one-note at times.

Best manga I've read recently is the Shonen Jump One Shot "Look Back" by the author of Chainsaw Man.

The Questyen 08-09-21 01:12 PM

I enjoyed it. I love Harry Potter but from a quick glance it didn't look like something I'd be interested in but it got a lot of rave reviews from people online whose opinion I respect so I picked it up. I assumed it was going to be more straight up Harry Potter parody but it at least in the first volume is more interesting than that and the comedy works better than I expected.

I also just hit 200 volumes in my collection (with another 50 or so volumes on order/preorder) so I've been going a little crazy with my buying. I just had to get another bookshelf.

fujishig 08-09-21 01:25 PM

I had to stop collecting most physical volumes because I just ran out of space. For instance, I got up to like 72 of One Piece before I figured it was just going to be too much. So I stopped getting physical volumes of most Shonen Jump stuff (some of them don't even come out on physical anyway, or are super delayed) and just stuck with the online subscription. Kodansha I can usually get my fix with humble bundles. It's sad because as a kid reading tankoubans were like my favorite thing.

Though I did pick up Miura's Berserk deluxe editions because I'm weak and they were on sale after his untimely death. They are still mostly backordered on Amazon from the big rush though.

The Questyen 08-09-21 01:58 PM

Yeah fortunately (or unfortunately for my wallet) I have tons of space. I don't collect anything else and I have tons of space for bookshelfs in my gaming room. The Berserk hardcovers were just on sale for $31 each a few days ago so I ordered all of them. Some were on back order but I'm in no rush. I used to love the Berserk anime when I was in high school and had the Dreamcast game but I've never read any of the manga.

fujishig 08-09-21 02:14 PM

I'm sure you already researched it but if you liked the anime, the manga is awesome, just know that it's all set after the bulk of the Band of the Hawks stuff (which was a flashback that takes up like two of the big volumes). Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes it'll ever be finished. RIP.

The Questyen 08-13-21 09:37 PM

Stuff I've read since 8/9:
A Drunken Dream and Other Stories (Moto Hagio)
No. 5 Volume 1 (Taiyo Matsumoto)
Four Shojo Stories
Orange: Future (Ichigo Takano)
Princess Jellyfish Omnibus Volume 1-2 (Akiko Higashimura)

The Questyen 08-19-21 10:39 PM

Stuff I've read since 8/13:
Princess Jellyfish Omnibus Volume 3 (Akiko Higashimura)
Sensor (Junji Ito)
Yuzu the Pet Vet Volume 1-6 (Mingo Ito)
Happiness Volume 1-3 (Shuzo Oshimi)

The Questyen 08-28-21 02:00 PM

Stuff I've read since 8/19:
Happiness Volume 4-10 (Shuzo Oshimi)
Boys Run the Riot Volume 1-2 (Keito Gaku)
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken Volume 1 (Sumito Oowara) (I really didn't care for this book and couldn't even finish the volume)
Asadora Volume 1-3 (Naoki Urasawa)
Princess Jellyfish Omnibus Volume 4 (Akiko Higashimura)
A Perfect Day for Love Letters Volume 1-2 (George Asakura)
Lil' Leo (Moto Hagio)

The Questyen 09-05-21 01:22 PM

Stuff I've read since 8/28:
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition Volume 3
Satan's Secretary Volume 1
Witch Hat Atelier Volumes 1-7 (this series is fantastic. Probably the best artwork of any series I've read so far and and great characters)
Love Song (Keiko Nishi)
Mashle Volume 2

Rightstuf is slowly getting the Berserk deluxe hardcovers in stock so my backordered copies have slowly been arriving. They've sent me 2-3 & 5-7 so soon I'll be able to get into this series.

fujishig 09-07-21 10:13 AM

Did they send you Berserk deluxe volume 1? Amazon cancelled my order but fulfilled all the rest, I wonder if 1 is just supremely backlogged.

The Questyen 09-07-21 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13980817)
Did they send you Berserk deluxe volume 1? Amazon cancelled my order but fulfilled all the rest, I wonder if 1 is just supremely backlogged.

Nope. Still waiting on 1 & 4 to get out of backorder. I did get a shipping notification for volume 8 which is coming later this week in my next shipment.

WTK 09-13-21 08:21 PM

https://www.rightstufanime.com/post/...ece-reprinting

ARIA THE MASTERPIECE REPRINTING

Be Part Of The Adventure!
Pre-Order Aria The Masterpiece Manga
Official Reprinting Upon 900 Pre-Orders (Per Volume)

Join your fellow fans and enthusiasts in the re-printing of Aria The Masterpiece.

Many fans missed the opportunity or were unable to complete their set of the fabulous series during the last printing. Right Stuf, Inc. in partnership with Tokyopop has agreed to re-print Aria The Masterpiece Volume 1-7 and a complete series bundle for one final run if 900 pre-orders per volume are placed by fans. Without your support, you and other fans will miss out on the chance to revisit the thrilling exploits of Akari Mizunashi and continue the adventure in Neo-Venezia. Future printings of the series are unlikely.

Be An Aria Prize Winner!

Submit a pre-order for Aria The Masterpiece Manga and be automatically entered for a chance to win Aria The Animation Seasons 1-3, the official Aria Neo-Venezia Guidebook, or a prize bundle with both!

One lucky winner will receive both Aria the Animation Seasons 1-3 and the official Aria Neo-Venezia Guidebook prize bundle. Four additional winners will receive the official Aria Neo-Venezia guidebook.*

You may also enter for a chance to win here.

Don't Let This Moment Pass You By!

Become an official supporter of the reprinting of Aria The Masterpiece Manga by pre-ordering today. Pre-orders close October 13, 2021.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=Ariarun

The Questyen 09-13-21 08:29 PM

Already placed an order for the bundle once I got the email from Right Stuf. I have zero knowledge of the series but wanted to support it.

WTK 09-14-21 07:16 PM

40% to the goal as of earlier today.