DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Anime Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk-72/)
-   -   What manga have you read or/are currently reading? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/629158-what-manga-have-you-read-currently-reading.html)

chrisc31 10-16-15 06:07 PM

What manga have you read or/are currently reading?

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...psymsj0tdp.jpg

I just bought my first manga.

I am new to manga and I think its going to be hard to find manga's to read, because for instance out of ten volumes of "A Certain Scientific Railgun" Manga's only two volumes are in stock at Rightstuf

TheBigDave 10-16-15 06:41 PM

Re: What manga have you read or/are currently reading?

Crunchyroll has some great manga. I'm currently reading:

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
Fairy Tail
Attack on Titan
Orange
Maga-Tsuki

And I highly recommend these two which are both finished.

A Silent Voice
A Town Where You Live

TheBigDave 10-16-15 07:02 PM

I'm also reading a bunch of scanlations. These are my favorites:

Nisekoi
Noragami
Silver Spoon
Akame ga Kiru!
Yotsubato!
Railgun
DanMachi
DanMachi - Sword Oratoria
Gate
Shomin Sample
Gakkou Gurashi!
Himouto! Umaru-chan

And there's probably about two dozen more that I read whenever a new update gets posted.

fujishig 10-16-15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12619715)

Fairy Tail
Attack on Titan
Orange
Maga-Tsuki

A Silent Voice
A Town Where You Live

I'd also recommend:
Ajin: Demi Human
Okitenemuru (though it's kinda slow coming out)
The Seven Deadly Sins (which should be starting to stream soon)

and this is finished:
Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer

I mainly collect Shonen, so I subscribe to the digital-only weekly Shonen Jump which has Nisekoi, One Piece, Bleach (almost ending, mercifully), My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Black Clover, Toriko, Food Wars, Seraph of the End, Blue Exorcist and World Trigger the week it comes out in Japan.

Vinland Saga comes in great hardcover English volumes, as does Mobile Suit Gundam.

TheBigDave 10-16-15 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12619763)
I mainly collect Shonen, so I subscribe to the digital-only weekly Shonen Jump which has Nisekoi, One Piece, Bleach (almost ending, mercifully), My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Black Clover, Toriko, Food Wars, Seraph of the End, Blue Exorcist and World Trigger the week it comes out in Japan.

Thanks for the heads up. That looks interesting. The only Shonen Jump series I read is Nisekoi. But the price is cheap, so I might subscribe.

Are there any other Japanese manga magazines that are available like that?

WTK 10-16-15 10:35 PM

For future reference, please don't link to scanlation sites. Legal outlets/sites only please.

chrisc31 10-17-15 04:53 AM

I already finished reading the two vol's of Senran Kagura I bought, I like this title.

I wanted to try reading another manga so I went back to Barns and Noble and got Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace vol. 1. I didn't realize until I started to read it that its for the movie that's yet to get licensed in North America.

At least Barns & Noble and Amazon sells all ten volumes online of A Certain Scientific Railgun manga for $103.88. I would rather give Barns & Noble the business if I can't buy them from Rightstuf, at least for manga.

I decided to buy the manga's for A Certain Scientific Railgun, A Certain Scientific Accelerator, A Certain Magical Index, Senran Kagura, Angel Beats, Bodacious Space Pirates, and Rosario+Vampire Season I and II Manga Box Set (Vols 01-24)

I want to try to get my nephew into reading manga's I will see if he likes Bodacious Space Pirates and A Certain Scientific Railgun. I was surprised it only took under an hour to read a vol, he should like reading these.

chrisc31 10-18-15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12619715)

Fairy Tail
Attack on Titan
Orange
Maga-Tsuki

A Silent Voice
A Town Where You Live

I tried to read manga on Crunchyroll and on other digital outlets before, its hard to explain but the experience between reading on the PC/mobile is completely different then reading from a book.
I just couldn't enjoy the manga when it was on a digital device before, I guess that why I never got into manga.
I took a chance the other day and bought Senran Kagura and really enjoyed reading it in book form, I am going to slowly start buying manga's and not waist my time with digital manga even if its free.

TheBigDave 10-18-15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by chrisc31 (Post 12621103)
I tried to read manga on Crunchyroll and on other digital outlets before, its hard to explain but the experience between reading on the PC/mobile is completely different then reading from a book. I just couldn't enjoy the manga when it was on a digital device before, I guess that why I never got into manga.

I wouldn't enjoy reading on a PC or phone either. But I use my iPad and it's perfect. The screen is nice and big, and all the text is easy to read. I've tried the manga books, and I don't really enjoy them. I've pretty much given up on physical books altogether and do almost all my reading on Kindles and the iPad.

Plus, I hate waiting for the books (usually one release every 6 months). I prefer to read each new chapter as soon as it's available.

TheBigDave 10-18-15 05:14 PM

Crunchyroll has a Manga Mystery Box on sale. 26 Manga Books for $29.99. Titles are random. But for around $1 each, it's a great deal.

Deal expires tonight at Midnight EST, so hurry up!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/1...y-2015-Edition

One of the users posted this:

Use this code to get free shipping on orders of $75 or more. Worked for me in the U.S.

SHINJI75

chrisc31 10-20-15 07:01 AM

I just don't find it enjoyable looking at a screen and have to scroll along while you read each page because you have to zoom in so you can read the words, or at least thats how I feel.

Sean O'Hara 10-20-15 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by chrisc31 (Post 12622608)
I just don't find it enjoyable looking at a screen and have to scroll along while you read each page because you have to zoom in so you can read the words, or at least thats how I feel.

That's a concern for American comics, but a standard manga page isn't that much bigger than a seven inch tablet screen. If there's ever something I have to zoom in to see on my Kindle Fire, it's something I'd have to hold three inches from my face in print. And unlike a print book, art never gets lost in the fold between pages.

Also, most manga on Crunchyroll allow you to read frame-by-frame. Each panel will fill your entire screen, and you just flick to the next one like you're turning a page. You can see the art at a magnification that blows away the print books.

chrisc31 10-20-15 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12622809)
That's a concern for American comics, but a standard manga page isn't that much bigger than a seven inch tablet screen. If there's ever something I have to zoom in to see on my Kindle Fire, it's something I'd have to hold three inches from my face in print. And unlike a print book, art never gets lost in the fold between pages.

Also, most manga on Crunchyroll allow you to read frame-by-frame. Each panel will fill your entire screen, and you just flick to the next one like you're turning a page. You can see the art at a magnification that blows away the print books.

The day manga in book form also release of dvd/bluray for anime is the day I stop spending money on this stuff.

I understand where you're coming from but I didn't have an Android device until I got my "Fire Phone" three months ago with its 4 1/2 screen. I only had my computer thats hooked up to my TV before to try reading manga, I'm wasn't about to go out and buy a kindle or somthing with a 7" screen for over $100 if I didn't enjoy it first and Nothing on Crunchyroll really interests me.

fujishig 10-20-15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12619800)
Thanks for the heads up. That looks interesting. The only Shonen Jump series I read is Nisekoi. But the price is cheap, so I might subscribe.

Are there any other Japanese manga magazines that are available like that?

I don't think so, the Weekly Shonen Jump thing is kind of an experiment. The one caveat is that you'll be completely lost at first (because even if you get the collections, there will be a gap between them and the weekly release), but if you can roll with that you'll be up to speed soon enough.

If you subscribe to Crunchyroll, you can read a bunch of manga too, which is similar. In fact, if you don't subscribe I think you can still read a few chapters of each every month, though there are ads.

The one thing I don't like about the Crunchyroll app is that unlike the Viz app, it doesn't seem to put two pages side by side when you switch to horizontal viewing.

The main thing I like about digital is that I don't have tankouban's all over the place.

chrisc31 10-21-15 05:14 AM

via Crunchyroll

Yen Press Starts Simulpublication of "Black Butler" Manga

As announced at New York Comic Con, this week begins Yen Press' simul-publication of Yana Toboso's manga series Black Butler, a title that they have been publishing in collected form since 2010, and which was also featured in their Yen+ magazine. New chapters will be offered as they are released each month, starting with chapter 109 – available today from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Google Play, iBooks, and Kobo at $1.99 for the 22 page eBook.
If anyone is wondering I'm not reading it, I just wanted to share the news. I didn't even watch the anime.
I got my order today from Barns & Noble.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...pspt6wtkfc.jpg

TheBigDave 10-29-15 01:05 AM

I just started reading Hibiki's Magic. It reminds me a lot of Gakuen Alice.

chrisc31 11-17-15 02:25 AM

I just made a purchase from Rightstuf.

Order Summary:

Senran Kagura Offical Design Works $30.37
Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace Manga 02 $8.77
A Certain Scientific Railgun Manga 10 $8.77
A Certain Magical Index Manga 01 $8.77
A Certain Magical Index Manga 02 $8.77
A Certain Magical Index Manga 03 $8.77
A Certain Scientific Accelerator Manga 01 $8.77
Pokemon XY Manga 01 $3.37
Pokemon XY Manga 02 $3.37
Pokemon XY Manga 03 $3.37
Pokemon XY Manga 04 $3.37
Pokemon XY Manga 05 $3.37

November GotAnime Coupon ****** ($3.00)
Tax $0.00
Total $96.84

The Pokemon manga is a Christmas present.

chrisc31 01-21-16 05:52 PM

I just ordered Rosario+Vampire Season I and II Manga Box Set (Vols 01-24) for a total price of $111.73, thats about $4.66 a volume.

TheBigDave 01-21-16 07:37 PM

Takane to Hana is becoming one of my favorites. It's like a typical romance/shoujo, but it's absolutely hilarious.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/87813/Takane_to_Hana

fujishig 01-25-16 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12702914)
Takane to Hana is becoming one of my favorites. It's like a typical romance/shoujo, but it's absolutely hilarious.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/87813/Takane_to_Hana

I have to be honest, the concept is kind of a turn off, even if it isn't lewd or anything. A 26 yr old and a 16 yr old?

TheBigDave 01-25-16 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12706480)
I have to be honest, the concept is kind of a turn off, even if it isn't lewd or anything. A 26 yr old and a 16 yr old?

Their relationship isn't really romance. It's more like an older brother and little sister, antagonizing each other. The age difference is brought up frequently in the storyline ("If anyone finds out it'll be a huge scandal"). But when they're together, trying to annoy and belittle the other, their ages aren't apparent. She's usually more mature than he is.

fujishig 01-25-16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12706518)
Their relationship isn't really romance. It's more like an older brother and little sister, antagonizing each other. The age difference is brought up frequently in the storyline ("If anyone finds out it'll be a huge scandal"). But when they're together, trying to annoy and belittle the other, their ages aren't apparent. She's usually more mature than he is.

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying. I think Usagi Drop scarred me for life on age gaps in manga.

TheBigDave 01-26-16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12706604)
I think Usagi Drop scarred me for life on age gaps in manga.

I refuse to believe that those volumes are official releases. Usagi Drop only has 4 official volumes. The others are creepy fanfic doujinshi.

It's the same with Oreimo. That ending never happened.

tripplej 05-15-16 08:18 PM

I am reading "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds".

Book I is 568 pages long and Book II is 552 pages long, adding up to 1120 pages worth of Miyazaki's art!

fujishig 05-19-16 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by tripplej (Post 12802679)
I am reading "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds".

Book I is 568 pages long and Book II is 552 pages long, adding up to 1120 pages worth of Miyazaki's art!

What a great manga, I think I bought it like four times in different formats already, and remember waiting a long time for the ending chapters.