Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Attack on Titan manga

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Attack on Titan manga

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Attack on Titan manga

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Unfortunately, Crunchyroll's mobile app didn't update it. I'm at work and wanted to read it during my break time...
Old 09-08-16, 01:22 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Unfortunately, Crunchyroll's mobile app didn't update it. I'm at work and wanted to read it during my break time...
It'll be released tonight at 8pm EST.
Old 09-09-16, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Argh another month before we get more info? It better not be some random side story either.
Old 10-10-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow that was a wall of exposition right there. With more to come...
Old 10-10-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The story is pretty much what I thought it would be.

Since Titan anime season ended, I spent lot of time trying to figure out why Titans attacking them. The current manga pretty much matched my theory.

However only questions I had are: How did they erected the wall with possible Titans threat? How did Titans exist? Why are Titans hiding inside the wall?

Manga pretty much explained all question I was wondered.
Old 10-10-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious, what was your theory (in spoilers)?

Because I felt like a lot of that came out of the blue. I mean I had my own theories about civilizations outside of the wall, but geez.
Old 10-11-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm curious, what was your theory (in spoilers)?

Because I felt like a lot of that came out of the blue. I mean I had my own theories about civilizations outside of the wall, but geez.
Spoiler:
My theory was two nations at the war. One nation used titans as their weapon to attack on wall nation.
Old 12-10-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well after a few months of straight exposition and backstory, things are getting interesting again, though I feel like I need to re read earlier chapters again to make sense of it all.
Old 12-13-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree.

I feel like the way manga is set up for the weekly, serialized format, they pad these stories way too much. Or at least this story feels that way.

I'm shocked about some of these revelations though. I mean,
Spoiler:
the smiling titan? I was hating him, with his evil look face.
Old 12-14-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure it's pure padding, some of it may be a result of the process of creating manga with editorial involvement and all. Still, since it comes from a single creator with outside help, the story is a lot more cohesive than, says reading years of a superhero comic. I bought the collections on comixology and I'm reading through them and it doesn't feel padded much if at all.

Now the beginning is still a bit confusing because of how much he jumps around, which is probably why the anime went with a more straightforward chronological telling.
Old 12-14-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure it's pure padding, some of it may be a result of the process of creating manga with editorial involvement and all. Still, since it comes from a single creator with outside help, the story is a lot more cohesive than, says reading years of a superhero comic. I bought the collections on comixology and I'm reading through them and it doesn't feel padded much if at all.

Now the beginning is still a bit confusing because of how much he jumps around, which is probably why the anime went with a more straightforward chronological telling.
It's definitely more rewarding than a lot of superhero comics. I know there's an ending, and despite possible editorial involvement, it seems like these creators have a story to tell and don't have to worry about parents groups, kids merchandising, tie-ins, continuity, etc.

The reason it feels padded to me is because of the long wait between paper back collections. And the promise of the basement seemed to take forever. I actually thought we were gonna see it in
Spoiler:
the first season anime. How wrong I was.

I'm also not used to creator-owned stories running for this long. I was shocked at how many volumes Akira consists of after having seen the animated movie first.
Old 02-14-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should see One Piece. Or Kochikame, which ran weekly and just recently concluded after starting in like 1976. I actually don't think Akira the movie makes much sense and I always thought they assumed the viewers had already read the manga.

So now we have a time skip and the whole premise is like completely different now.
Old 03-12-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And now another time skip, and an entirely different setting.
Old 03-28-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should see One Piece. Or Kochikame, which ran weekly and just recently concluded after starting in like 1976. I actually don't think Akira the movie makes much sense and I always thought they assumed the viewers had already read the manga.
Kochikame? You gotta be kidding me. Kinda want to check it out now. I feel a lot of mangas are in some ways more comparable to American soap operas than mainstream comic books.

What little I read of the Akira manga, it's so much more complex.

And now another time skip, and an entirely different setting.
I think I'm done with the manga. It's fun and all but I much prefer the moments as experience when watched in anime form.
Old 03-30-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Attack on Titan Season 2 is coming this Saturday on Crunchyroll!
Old 03-31-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the update! I'm there.
Old 09-16-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really liking the manga up until this latest development.

Spoiler:
First off, the retelling of the early parts of the story from Reiner's POV was unnecessary in my opinion. His early life in Marley was great to see,
but I felt like his POV in Paradis was just padding. Everything that we already understood had to be underlined, highlighted, and ended with exclamation points.

For example, Porco makes a comment that Reiner was trying to be like Marcel: dependable, confident, leader-like. We see Reiner reminisce on his own childhood and we see he was the opposite before getting to Paradis. He was without talent, insecure, and a kiss-ass.

But then we later have a seen where Reiner tells Annie "Reiner is dead! I will become Marcel!!"

Isayama showed the original wall breach from the POV of Reiner and co and all it did was create new continuity errors.

The whole story with Marley's bunch of warriors is interesting. Great characters so far. I don't like where they're headed with Tybur family though. So they're the big bad, and manipulating both sides? And the villain's name is "Billy"?

Old 09-16-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
I was really liking the manga up until this latest development.

Spoiler:
First off, the retelling of the early parts of the story from Reiner's POV was unnecessary in my opinion. His early life in Marley was great to see,
but I felt like his POV in Paradis was just padding. Everything that we already understood had to be underlined, highlighted, and ended with exclamation points.

For example, Porco makes a comment that Reiner was trying to be like Marcel: dependable, confident, leader-like. We see Reiner reminisce on his own childhood and we see he was the opposite before getting to Paradis. He was without talent, insecure, and a kiss-ass.

But then we later have a seen where Reiner tells Annie "Reiner is dead! I will become Marcel!!"

Isayama showed the original wall breach from the POV of Reiner and co and all it did was create new continuity errors.

The whole story with Marley's bunch of warriors is interesting. Great characters so far. I don't like where they're headed with Tybur family though. So they're the big bad, and manipulating both sides? And the villain's name is "Billy"?

Yeah, I agreed it's just "padding" and they could have split into separate series instead.
Old 09-16-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda disagree, I think it was important for us to see those events knowing what we know now, it actually illuminated some things that I didn't know (like the role of the other Titans in that initial scene). What continuity errors?

I think most of the complaints about pacing are because this is a monthly manga which slows progress to a crawl compared to weekly installments.
Old 09-18-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda disagree, I think it was important for us to see those events knowing what we know now, it actually illuminated some things that I didn't know (like the role of the other Titans in that initial scene). What continuity errors?

I think most of the complaints about pacing are because this is a monthly manga which slows progress to a crawl compared to weekly installments.
Maybe it's because of the monthly installments. But even when I was buying the volumes (entire chapters in one chunk) it still felt like progress was coming a long at a snail's pace.

I think it's the nature of mangas. The creators are trying to get the most mileage out of their creation so yeah, they want to the gravy train to run as long as possible. In Isayama's case, I think he pads out certain chapters in order to give himself some thinking time as to how he's going to answer all these lingering questions like:

Spoiler:

who is Annie's father?
what are the "paths"?
who was the original ymir exactly?
why is there a curse?
what is the source of the titans? experiments? the devil?
who are the Ackermans and why do they have special abilities?
what was the significance of Eren's future dream in the first chapter?
what is Zeke's secret?
what's the deal with the purple flowers?
why does the first king still exert power over the founding titan's powers?
why did the first king retreat?

That's just off the top of my head. So yeah, he has his work cut out for him.

Spoiler:
I really didn't feel like we needed to see everything in Paradis happening from Reiner's POV.
The way Annie was yelling at Reiner and Bertholdt when they captured Marco told me everything I needed to know about their relationship.

Did I need an explanation for Bertholdt's fake story about his home being invaded by titans? No. I get it, he made it up. He lied. I didn't need an origin for that too.

Did I need to see a new scene of Eren crying and actually telling Reiner he wants to be like him? No, we got that when Reiner first gave him advice out in the woods about the 3DM gear, and later when Eren fights Reiner's Titan form and he thinks "to think I wanted to be strong like you..."

We didn't need a retcon to spell it out for us.

Plus, I thought the only time Eren broke down during the training was when the he could even balance with the gear. In the retcon he's flying around with it but still messing up, and cries some more. Sounds uncharacteristic of Eren at that point.

In the original scene of the Colossal Titan kicking the wall, we see a wide shot from behind him, and there's no Reiner or Annie there, and we see Titan's just milling about. In the new version, Annie and Reiner are there, and they just led a stampede of Titans to the wall.

And how does Annie spy on the royals in wall rose when she has to be back everyday with her fellow trainees Reiner, Bertholdt, Eren, Mikasa etc? There's no way she could travel that fast and be back every night.

And their plan is pretty bad too. I thought they were sent there to infiltrate for a certain amount of time. But apparently they were just suppose to break the wall to draw the founding titan out and capture it. Instead, they lost Marcel, and decided to say for like 4 years. The military in Marley were just chilling that whole time? They didn't think "fuck, we probably lost four of our titans over in Paradis. They never came back."

Honestly, it feels like Isayama is making some of it has he goes along. I know that's the case for most writers, but I think it's beginning to show in some of his writing.
Take Ymir. We found out that she was secretly a titan. Cool. Neat little surprise. But then we found out that the reason she's a titan shifter is because she ate Marcel, who was a Titan shifter. Okay. But then we find out that Marcel's titan, the Jaws Titan is huge and looks completely different. So now Isayama has to explain WHY Ymir's titan looked the same before and after she ate a Titan shifter, which goes against what we know of Eren's transformation.
Old 10-18-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No discussion on recent issue? To be honest, I was bit surprised to see (spoiler in case someone haven't read it yet)
Spoiler:
that Eren managed to reach another island. Can't wait for next issue for how he does that.
Old 10-18-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

? That reveal happened a month or so ago, didn't it?
Old 10-18-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um... I must have forgotten. This once a month release is killing the suspense! Anyone please point which issue (or volume), I'll re-read it at Crunchyroll.
Old 10-18-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm... maybe they just hinted at it, with the way he's drawn and using the name Kruger. But it was fairly obvious once he made his move the chapter before. But it's probably just me over analyzing each chapter since they're only monthly.
Old 11-07-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not too much happened this chapter, but I liked it.

Spoilers

Spoiler:
So there is no Heros/Helos. And is what Billy/Willy told the audience true about King Fritz. I doubt it.

I thought Annie was dead, but it seems like she's coming back, with what her father said.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.