Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Fullmetal Alchemist Collection 1&2

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 07:42 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have FMA parts 1-5 on Blu-ray and recently saw there is FMA Collection 1&2 and from what I've read it seems like it may be different than what I have but am not sure. I watched a few video clips on you-tube and it looks a bit better.

Is this a reboot of sorts and is the animation/video better than what I have? Am thinking of getting this and have another go at it but would like to hear what some of you have to say first. Thanks,

William
Old 07-11-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fullmetal Alchemist Collection 1&2

Is it called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or older one? I would recommend Brotherhood because it follows manga closely.
Old 07-11-14, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Yea the one I have is Brotherhood and the one I'm talking about is Brotherhood too but instead of 5 separate parts this one is Collection 1 and Collection 2 and I "think" it's different...hope so because I ordered it after I posted this thread.
Old 07-11-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I get it. Brotherhood was supposed to be reboot from previous one - after looking up at Rightstuf, I can assume you bought Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1 & 2.

Only difference between old one and Brotherhood is storyline.
Old 07-11-14, 08:55 PM

It's the same. Funimation just packaged the 5 individual parts into 2 collections.
Old 07-12-14, 04:44 AM
Cool New Member

I'm hoping there's a difference in video quality too. The Blu-ray version I have looks more like an upgraded SD than Bluray. I think I read somewhere the Collection 1&2 is better quality and real HD. Can anyone confirm any difference?
Old 07-12-14, 06:27 PM

There is no difference in video quality been FMA Parts 1-5 and FMA Collection 1&2 on Blu-Ray. FMA was only produced at 540p, so you are never going to get real HD quality.

The only advantage of FMA Collection 1&2 on Blu-Ray, is the subtitles were improved (Larger size, and more outline).
Old 07-12-14, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks Kirben...I've already ordered it and am hoping to notice some sort of difference. Have you seen both and compared the two versions? I thought I noticed a little difference in the clips I've watched but I'll find out for sure in a few days.
Old 07-12-14, 07:12 PM

I have not compared the two versions, but you are hoping for too much, especially considering the source isn't true HD (720p or 1080p). FMA Collection 1&2 are only 8 discs, compared to 10 discs for FMA Parts 1-5, so you aren't even going to see better compression either.

I hope Funimation does a complete series release of FMA on Blu-Ray one day, and includes the OVAs. As the OVAs, and especially the Four Panel Comic Theater were meant to be watched with the series.
Old 07-12-14, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

Well I can see some sort of difference...the lines looks sharper and the colors seem bolder at least from what I see on the HD video clips. It's probably not full HD or 720 but it does look at least cleaned up a bit and generally cleaner and shaper looking. If it's not at least 720 how do they get away saying it's HD? I've heard a lot about that sort of thing and another misleading thing is putting the art of the Manga on the Blu-ray...another cheap trick...bate and switch which I see a lot of. If there is even a minor difference in video quality I'll be happy...the version I have looks just ok...and a bit dated.
Old 07-12-14, 08:03 PM

I think Funimation were sent upscaled masters, in the case of FMA. More recent Blu-Ray releases are usually listed as upscales, but many older Blu-Ray releases were not.

There used to be a thread on Mania forums, which kept track of which Blu-Ray releases were upscales, but those forums are still down.
Old 07-13-14, 05:02 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks man.