Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Funimation S.A.V.E. titles would you recommend?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 02-14-14, 02:53 PM

I believe this is a complete list of Funimation's low-cost S.A.V.E. titles:

http://www.funimation.com/shows/save/anime

Are there any must-buy titles here? Or just shows that you personally really really liked?

I love cheap anime, so if there are any low-cost hidden gems out there, I'd love to know.
Old 02-14-14, 11:44 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Re: Which Funimation S.A.V.E. titles would you recommend?

That seems quite a bit to list. Are you able to mention the series you have liked in the past. From there, it should be easier to suggest. I personally don't like to recommend an anime for purchase just because of price.
Old 02-14-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Baseball fans need to get Big Windup! In my opinion, the two best titles from that list are near the bottom: Welcome to the NHK and xxxHolic. xxxHolic has one of the best English dubs in anime.

Other choices I would strongly recommend if interested in their genre:

Shakugan No Shana
Ikki Tousen
Chrono Crusade
Corpse Princess
Ghost Hunt

Not everything at the link is a winner and some are downright terrible. Recommendations will greatly depend on a person's taste for specific genres.
Old 02-15-14, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Ikki Tousen
Just finished watching that one recently.

There are so many in there that I own and just haven't gotten around to watching.
My recommendation would be Galaxy Railways. If you like Leiji Matsumoto stuff at all then it should be a no-brainer.
Initial D is one of my favorites, but due to the subject matter will only appeal to certain people.

It's crazy that you can buy entire series nowadays for the price of what we used to pay for one volume with just 3 or 4 episodes.
Old 02-15-14, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Out of the ones I have seen on that list, Project Blue Earth SOS is the only one I even moderately enjoyed, although not enough to keep it or watch it again. I gave up on Baldr Force EXE and Tokyo Majin pretty early on, and Mushi-Shi (too slow) and Speed Grapher (too seedy) about halfway through.
Old 02-15-14, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by WTK View Post
That seems quite a bit to list. Are you able to mention the series you have liked in the past. From there, it should be easier to suggest. I personally don't like to recommend an anime for purchase just because of price.
My top three shows would probably be Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, and Trigun. They're like my holy trinity of anime.

I grew up watching Robotech, and love mecha and giant robots.

I watched alot of shows on Toonami/Adult Swim over the years. I enjoyed Outlaw Star, The Big O, Inuyasha, and Samurai Champloo. More recently, I've been enjoying Sword Art Online. And Summer Wars was great. Samruai 7 was decent, but it didn't blow me away. Right now Space Dandy is hit or miss with me.

I never got around to watching any of the Gundam titles, but I've always meant to. The same with Neon Genesis Evengelion. I want to see it, but haven't yet.

I like fanservice, but I'm picky. The girls have to be attractive and interesting. I loved Rosario + Vampire. It seems to get alot of bad reviews, but I guess it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I thought the three main female leads were really cute and sweet and fun. But I also tried Sekirei, and was disappointed. I didn't find any of those female leads interesting. I may try Cat Planet Cuties.

I don't really like zombies, and I tend not to like excessive horror and graphic violience. But surprisingly, I though Highschool of the Dead was alot of fun. And it had good fanservice. I thought it was a well done show despite being in a genre I don't normally like.

I enjoyed the Ninja Scroll movie (violent, but again well done). I liked the Escaflowne series. I really want to watch Gurren Lagann, but can never find it at a good price. I've never seen Code Geass, but I definitley want to get it when it gets re-released. I've heard great things about both Lagann and Geass, and they sound like shows I'd really enjoy.

So, I mainly like a good action show that also has a good story, but I'm open to anything. And I like big robots and cute girls. Even though none of my top three feature big robots or excessive fanservice.

And out of the S.A.V.E. titles, I do own Romeo+Juliet, which I enjoyed.
Old 02-15-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
My top three shows would probably be Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, and Trigun. They're like my holy trinity of anime.

I grew up watching Robotech, and love mecha and giant robots.

I watched alot of shows on Toonami/Adult Swim over the years. I enjoyed Outlaw Star, The Big O, Inuyasha, and Samurai Champloo. More recently, I've been enjoying Sword Art Online. And Summer Wars was great. Samruai 7 was decent, but it didn't blow me away. Right now Space Dandy is hit or miss with me.

I never got around to watching any of the Gundam titles, but I've always meant to. The same with Neon Genesis Evengelion. I want to see it, but haven't yet.

I like fanservice, but I'm picky. The girls have to be attractive and interesting. I loved Rosario + Vampire. It seems to get alot of bad reviews, but I guess it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I thought the three main female leads were really cute and sweet and fun. But I also tried Sekirei, and was disappointed. I didn't find any of those female leads interesting. I may try Cat Planet Cuties.

I don't really like zombies, and I tend not to like excessive horror and graphic violience. But surprisingly, I though Highschool of the Dead was alot of fun. And it had good fanservice. I thought it was a well done show despite being in a genre I don't normally like.

I enjoyed the Ninja Scroll movie (violent, but again well done). I liked the Escaflowne series. I really want to watch Gurren Lagann, but can never find it at a good price. I've never seen Code Geass, but I definitley want to get it when it gets re-released. I've heard great things about both Lagann and Geass, and they sound like shows I'd really enjoy.

So, I mainly like a good action show that also has a good story, but I'm open to anything. And I like big robots and cute girls. Even though none of my top three feature big robots or excessive fanservice.

And out of the S.A.V.E. titles, I do own Romeo+Juliet, which I enjoyed.
I would have recommended ROMEO X JULIET, anyway. Of the others, I'd cite only INITIAL D and SPEED GRAPHER.

INITIAL D is a great series about young people and how you learn to focus on what you're good at and keep getting better at it, while dealing with all the other trials and tribulations of growing up. What the protagonist happens to be good at is downhill road racing, but it's a great coming-of-age story anyway. I didn't know or care a thing about downhill road racing before I saw it, but the series makes it exciting and the protagonist is a really interesting character. It really turns out to be quite fascinating and full of action. And the level of CGI needed to pull off the racing scenes just keeps massively improving as the series progresses. Stick with it. Plus, it's got a great Super Eurobeat score (if you watch it with the Japanese soundtrack), a type of music I'd never heard before and have since bought quite a few CDs of it.

I've only seen a few eps. of SPEED GRAPHER and don't recall much, but I remember liking what I saw. I have the whole series, I just need the time to watch it. (And, of course, I'll have to start over from the beginning when I do.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-15-14 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
It is the manga fans that heavily criticize Rosario+Vampire as an anime. It's still one of my favorite shows. Cat Planet Cuties is watchable but I found it less enjoyable than Sekirei.

Speed Grapher has a really cool concept and strong characters, but the plotting is terrible over the entire series. I can't give it a recommendation as a blind buy, but it does have one of the coolest anime episodes I've ever seen.
Old 02-15-14, 05:32 PM

I'd suggest getting a Roku and subscribing to FUNi's streaming service. For less than two S.A.V.E. sets you can get a 6-month membership. And you'll have access to their entire catalog, including shows that aren't available on disc yet.

I don't blind-buy anime anymore. I watch it on streaming first. You don't have to worry about getting stuck with something you don't like. Watch an episode or two, and if it's not good, move on to another show.

http://www.funimation.com/subscribe/anime
Old 02-20-14, 04:43 PM

I own Welcome to the NHK myself, only S.A.V.E. I have.