Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 05-04-18, 03:56 AM   #126
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Attack On Titan

Looks good!
Old 05-14-18, 03:18 AM   #127

What's up with Attack on Titan: Lost Girls OVA?
It's already out, but is it only available in Japan. I think it was a DVD that was bundled with one of the AOT volumes but I don't know which. The trailer for it looks awesome!

I wasn't too interested at first, since it was a side story that wasn't even written by Isayama but now I gotta see it.
Old 05-14-18, 04:02 AM   #128
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
What's up with Attack on Titan: Lost Girls OVA?
It's already out, but is it only available in Japan. I think it was a DVD that was bundled with one of the AOT volumes but I don't know which. The trailer for it looks awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14jDYciXqJc

I wasn't too interested at first, since it was a side story that wasn't even written by Isayama but now I gotta see it.
Just like the 5 OVAs before Lost Girls, the 3 Lost Girls OVAs are bundled with the manga and only available via DVD with no subtitles. Gotta know Japanese and import them if you wanna watch legally, else there are fansubs online, but this forum frowns upon speaking of such things.
Old 05-16-18, 04:42 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Just like the 5 OVAs before Lost Girls, the 3 Lost Girls OVAs are bundled with the manga and only available via DVD with no subtitles. Gotta know Japanese and import them if you wanna watch legally, else there are fansubs online, but this forum frowns upon speaking of such things.
Thanks for letting me know.
That's a pretty cool exclusive for Japan.
Old 07-30-18, 06:33 PM   #130

I'm two episodes in of Season 3.

I didn't like the way they made Levi look in the first episode, but he's back to looking normal in episode 2.

I think this story arc of the manga was my least favorite, but they're handling it in the anime is pretty exciting.

The intro doesn't feel very AoT-like but I guess it's supposed to remind us of the innocence of the main characters. I liked little Eren meeting soldier Eren.

Like I said, I thought Eren kidnapped and stuck in the trees, as well as this story arc were way too drawn out in the manga. But I'm actually enjoying the cloak and dagger/suspense thriller vibe of this season. It helps get a better sense of the world in which the characters live in.
Old 08-29-18, 02:35 AM   #131

This latest episode, "Sin" was NOT a good one.

Spoiler:

This chapter, in the manga, was portrayed very dramatically. We find out that Grisha was a titan, and get to see his Titan form for the first time. We also see Frieda Reiss's Titan form for the first time, and a brutal battle between the two.

So far, just about everything in the anime has been done better than it was in the manga. The scenes are in motion, dramatic music, etc.
In this episode though, they must have run out of budget or saving it for later in the series because it was poorly animated.
They managed to make the introduction of Titan-ized Grisha and Frieda, and their battle look dull. It looked like some Saturday morning cartoon animation from the 80s.
This should have been epic looking, just like every single appearance of the Female Titan/Annie's titan.

Then we found out that Eren ate his own father. This scene and the previous one had static stills combined with brief, poorly animated scenes.

The whole thing felt rushed and not dramatic at all.
Maybe they should have stayed at 12 episodes if the quality was going to go down this much.

I'm sticking with the manga only from now on.

Old 10-05-18, 12:29 PM   #132
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, I still got the first "season" of the AoT series, and was hoping if anything else was available on Blu-ray. Kinda sucks they haven't ported anything else over to the US or at least in subtitles.
Old 10-05-18, 01:16 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Wow, I still got the first "season" of the AoT series, and was hoping if anything else was available on Blu-ray. Kinda sucks they haven't ported anything else over to the US or at least in subtitles.
Not sure what you mean? The second season should be out on Blu ray and you can watch it subbed as it comes out on Crunchyroll.
Old 10-05-18, 06:51 PM   #134
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Second season IS out on Blu-ray...

and Third season is being released weekly in English dub on Toonami and FUNimationNOW.
Old 10-16-18, 10:22 AM   #135
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So far I'm not feeling season 3 all that much. The plot device of Eren getting kidnapped every season is getting old. Eren went from a bad ass who was ready to single handedly slaughter every Titan in his path. To whining and crying that Christa and/or her dad should eat him because reasons.
Old 10-16-18, 11:05 PM   #136

That episode in the underground caverns was a serious dive in quality. So much so that I was thinking of quitting the show. But since then the quality is back to being top tier.

This latest episodes, including "The Night of the Battle to Retake the Wall"...
Spoiler:
have been exceptionally good.
The previous one with Keith Sadies telling how he first met Grisha was great. I was worried it was going to be crappy animation and voice acting like the Grisha/Rod Reiss revelation, but no, it was great.
The moment when Grisha has his back to Keith and is leading Eren into the woods was perfect.
It left out some stuff from the manga, like Keith noting that there was an unusual lack of Titan activity in the area when he found Grisha wandering outside the walls.
Not much happened in "The Night of the Battle..." but I enjoyed the characters discussing and theorizing about Grisha Jaeger's motives and what's outside the walls.It adds some additional mystery and atmosphere to the story.

I thought my computer was fucked up when watching the end credits song of the "The Night of the Battle..." episode but apparently other people had similar issues when watching it.

About the production of Attack on Titan...
Apparently this last episode had like 52 animators on it. I was reading a Reddit thread on it and apparently, that's not a good thing. They were saying that there's been some issues producing the episodes since the first season, and apparently it's not uncommon for these types of shows to finish an episode the day they're supposed to turn it to be aired.

I always thought that Attack on Titan had exceptional animation, but it sounds like the production team is putting blood, sweat and tears into this thing just to keep it going. Supposedly working in the Japanese animation industry does not pay well, and the workload is insane. That's why the quality is so high.
Damn.
Old 10-17-18, 03:25 PM   #137
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait, this show's gone until April?!

Read Poop Office at http://nakedgrapecomics.com
Old 10-17-18, 03:35 PM   #138
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Wait, this show's gone until April?!
Yep, 6 month hiatus for the second half of season 3.
Old 10-19-18, 10:42 AM   #139
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
That episode in the underground caverns was a serious dive in quality. So much so that I was thinking of quitting the show. But since then the quality is back to being top tier.
Thats good to hear. That ep was indeed terrible.