Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Animes in Theaters

Old 09-09-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Animes in Theaters

FUNimation At The Movies

Studio Movie Grill – Lewisville
located at 1600 S. Stemmons Freeway, Lewisville, TX
FREE screenings every second Tuesday of the month from 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Check back often for new animes and FREE Admission - Hosted by Funimation - RSVP required.

Last edited by chrisc31; 09-16-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-09-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Animes in Theaters

FUNimation At The Movies
ADMISSION IS FREE! (I think)

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas - Alamo West Oaks
1000 West Oaks Mall #429, Houston, TX
Every Tuesday @ 7:30p

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas - Alamo Westlakes
1255 SW Loop 410, San Antonio, TX
Every Monday @ 7:30p

The Palace Theater
2384 James Street, Syracuse, NY 13206
Every third Monday of each month @ 6:00p

SENTAI ANIME
Sentai Filmworks! Watch the best anime around.

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas - Alamo West Oaks
1000 West Oaks Mall #429, Houston, TX
Every third Monday of the month @ 7:30p

Check back often for new animes.

Last edited by chrisc31; 09-09-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-09-12, 01:25 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

The Lyric Theatre in Blacksburg, VA has scheduled Redline for two midnight showings in December.

Friday December 7, 2012 12:00am - $5.00
Saturday December 8, 2012 12:00am - $5.00

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2t26m_Q6ENo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-26-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fall 2012

Studio Ghibli Festival at the IFC CENTER is showing two movies I never heard of.

Ocean Waves, and Only Yesterday

Last edited by chrisc31; 01-27-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-27-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Studio Ghibli Festival at the IFC CENTER is showing two movies I never heard of.

Ocean Waves, and Only Yesterday
Two of Ghibli's best. Until the same festival showed OCEAN WAVES last year, it had never had a proper theatrical showing in the U.S. I've had it for years in VHS and DVD copies. Too bad their showing was on tape and not on film.

ONLY YESTERDAY was shown on film at the Ghibli retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in 1999 and then once on TCM in, I believe, 2006, and that's it.

Both were shown subtitled only. Neither is available on home video in the U.S., but you can find them both, subtitled, in Japanese video stores and Chinatown video shops.

Both are dramas. OCEAN WAVES (1993) is about two high school friends and the saucy girl from Tokyo who shows up in their school as a transfer student and her effect on their friendship and their lives. One of the best films about high school life I've ever seen. ONLY YESTERDAY (1991) is about a career girl in Tokyo in 1982 who spends a summer working at a safflower farm in the country and meets a young farmer who makes quite an impression on her. She periodically flashes back to her youth in 1966 for clues as to what her adult self should do. Two of the most beautiful endings I've ever seen are in these films.

I taught OCEAN WAVES in my anime class three years ago and showed it in its entirety.

A tense moment in OCEAN WAVES:

The famous "prosecution" at the school festival:

Two friends against the backdrop of Kochi, where most of the film takes place:
Old 12-28-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I read a review of the MADOKA MAGICA movie in the Village Voice, which said that it opens on Dec. 26 at the Cinema Village in NYC. So I made plans to go see it tonight (Fri. Dec. 28) after work. I go to the website and find the listing for this film and it says "Ended December 26." It was one day only!

Anime gets no respect.
Old 01-27-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Source - ANN

March & April 2013

Poppy Hill, 6 Other Ghibli Films to Screen in Massachusetts

The Amherst Cinema in Amherst, Massachusetts will screen seven Studio Ghibli films, including From Up On Poppy Hill, in March-April as a part of the theater's "Miyazaki Festival." The festival will also screen Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away in Japanese with English subtitles.

Goro Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's From Up On Poppy Hill will screen on April 12 at 2:00 p.m. The film follows a group of Yokohama teens in their quest against a wrecking ball that threatens to destroy their school's clubhouse in preparation for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. North American distributor GKids has acquired the rights the film. GKids will screen the film in Los Angeles and New York on March 15. "Big cities" will then receive the film in the following two weeks, and still more cities the week after. GKids will then release From Up On Poppy Hill on Blu-ray Disc and DVD.

Last edited by chrisc31; 01-27-13 at 07:01 PM.