Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What manga are you currently reading?

Old 05-15-12, 09:54 PM

What manga are you currently reading?

I've been reading a lot of the same stuff I've been watching.

Mayoi Neko Overrun - Much better than the anime. Same characters but different storylines. Lots of nudity.

Fairy Tail - Current storyline is totally different from the anime. They're doing a giant wizard tournament with all the other guilds. It's really exciting.

YuruYuri - Some similarities to the anime, but a few new stories. Good stuff.

Hyakko - The manga keeps going beyond the anime, introduction new students and storylines. There are so many characters added it starts to get confusing. I preferred the anime, but it's still enjoyable.

Lotte no Omocha - I didn't like it. Lost all the charm of the anime. The sweet Mother-Daughter dynamic is gone. And the whole thing is much more pervy.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl) - Lots of new stories. Each one is really short (8-10 pages). Fun to read.

Toradora! - Very similar to the anime. The anime was excellent, so I'm enjoying the manga as well.

Oreimo - Very similar to the anime. The anime was excellent, so I'm enjoying the manga as well.
Old 05-16-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What manga are you currently reading?

I'll just talk about the licensed stuff (which means I'm far behind):

I've been reading Shonen Jump Alpha (which is two weeks behind the Japanese weekly releases), so the usual:

One Piece: Oda just continues to amaze me. I wasn't all that enamored with the previous Fishman Island Arc, but that was basically a calm after the war. This arc is picking back up to the usual quirkiness, which I'm glad, because he could have gone the obvious route (which he never does) and just have more and more powerful villains and battles.

Naruto: Winding down to the ending, but still interesting to me.

Bleach: Completely lost me some time ago, but I might as well read it to the end.

Bakuman: Last chapter...

I have no idea what's going on with Nura and very little on Toriko, mainly because there's a gigantic gap between what has been released here and what's currently going on. There's a large gap with the other titles too, but I'm more familiar with them. Still, I'm enjoying Alpha a ton.

Cross Game: Collecting this digitally since I just have no room for manga, but I've always loved Adachi's stuff. Wish more of it came out here.

20th Century Boys: I know this is old at this point, but I'm following the English releases. It is meandering a lot right now, but it's still interesting. If they put Monster up digitally I'd buy it.

Impatiently waiting for new volumes of:
Hunter x Hunter
D. Gray-man
Claymore
Yotsubato

And for anyone that knows... that last Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm: Last Order volume was the last one from Shueisha, right? Does Viz have the rights to the Kodansha stuff, or is it just never going to be finished here?
Old 05-23-12, 04:08 AM

So the past couple days I've been reading Natsume Yuujinchou. So far, the stories are identical to the show. There are a few exceptions, mostly in the human characters. And the manga stories are in a different order. But if you enjoyed the series, you'll definitely enjoy the manga.

Amazon has the books in their 4-for-3 promotion. Which is basically Buy 3 Get 1 Free.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-23-12 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-23-12, 07:29 AM

I just finished Ninja Girls. I really enjoyed the story of Raizou trying to find love/restore his family name with his three kunoichi. I felt that the series being only 9 volumes long was just right.

Before this I was reading Guardian Hearts. This one was really crazy. I couldn't keep track of anything that was going on. The drawing was okay. I really had to push myself to actually finish it. I know there's actually more to the story then what Tokyopop published but I'm not going to seek it out.

Amazon has the books in their 4-for-3 promotion. Which is basically Buy 3 Get 1 Free.
I find that Amazon's 4-for-3 is usually the same price as just buying all four at Rightstuf. So unless you have Amazon Prime its kind of a toss up.
Old 07-09-12, 06:25 PM

K-On! finally ended. It continued on for another year past the anime series. I wasn't that crazy about the new stuff. But if you're a K-On! fan, you should check it out just to see what happens the next year.

Grabbed the first four Bunny Drop books. But that's it. I'm not gonna read the teen years books.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yotsubato
I recently started reading Yotsubato (aka Yotsuba&!). It's so hilarious. I bust out loud laughing at least 2-3 times a chapter.
Old 07-10-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because I want to watch the entire 2007 series, "Toward the Terra," for the DVD Talk Sci-Fi Challenge (I've watched Vols. 1-2), I'm re-reading the manga by Keiko Takemiya. I'm up to Vol. 3 (final volume). It's like reading a great science fiction novel in manga form. The anime series is good, but it's hard to top the manga. I also intend to re-watch the 1980 anime movie based on it when I finish the manga.