Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Did this series ever come out on Blu-ray?
Not to my knowlege. I only know of the Manga DVD's. Surprisingly it wasn't even included in the SF IV collectors edition that included all the other animated SF stuff.
Old 08-13-14, 08:12 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I binged on all 5 episodes out, so far, of Bladedance of Elementalers. A bit too much "fan service" shots.. but overall I enjoyed the concept and overall story.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/bladedance-of-elementalers
Old 08-14-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loving Street Fighter II V all over again, I had forgotten how enjoyable this series is. The great music, the rediculously long episode titles, waiting to see which character will show up next. Such a fun show.
Old 08-14-14, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monday
Nothing!

Tuesday
Hunter x Hunter 142
Barakamon 5+6
Hanayamata 5+6

Total: Five Episodes

Wednesday
Space Dandy S2 3-6
Ace of Diamond 42-43
Ao Haru Ride 3-6

Total: Ten Episodes

Thursday
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 5-6
re: Hamatora 2-6
Yama no Susume S2 2-6 (Quarter Hour)

Total: Twelve Episodes
Old 08-15-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I've been watching this Sailor Moon reboot. I have not seen the original but was obviously aware of its status in anime history. This reboot is definitely aimed at children, I'm not sure an adult will get much enjoyment from it. I bet 10-year-old girls will love it, however.
Old 08-15-14, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've been watching this Sailor Moon reboot. I have not seen the original but was obviously aware of its status in anime history. This reboot is definitely aimed at children, I'm not sure an adult will get much enjoyment from it. I bet 10-year-old girls will love it, however.
That's a magical girl anime for you, though. There's tons of tropes that range from quirky to annoying, depending on the show. I'd say that Sailor Moon is more of the former - there's a reason it's so popular, after all.

It's not necessarily exclusively for children, though. Although these kinds of shows are made with children in mind, magical girl shows are basically the My Little Pony of Japan - they've got a niche with an older age group. It's a matter of whether you accept the tropes or decide it's not for you.

At least it's not PreCure, where nothing really happens other than the somewhat interesting slice of life bits that are overtaken by the show's need to add in an arbitrary Team Rocket fight at the end of the episode. Sailor Moon usually knows how to mix in the battles at the end without being jarring in regards to the episode's theme.

Anyways, more animu.

Friday
Zankyou no Terror 2-6

Total: 5 Episodes.
Old 08-15-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I'd say the adults it appeals to are those who watched/read the older version, though. The magical girl tropes have gone pretty far, and Sailor Moon probably feels a bit old hat at this point, but that's because it's faithful to the manga.
Old 08-15-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was my impression, the material felt a bit dated and a throwback after seeing more recent iterations of the magical girl genre. I also got annoyed by the Japanese voice for Sailor Moon herself.
Old 08-15-14, 10:02 PM

That was my impression, the material felt a bit dated and a throwback after seeing more recent iterations of the magical girl genre. I also got annoyed by the Japanese voice for Sailor Moon herself.
I'm afraid to say that rather than influencing the Magical Girl genre in particular, Madoka has only influenced shows such as Day Break Illusion and Selector Infected WIXOSS to darken up their storytelling with hidden secrets behind a puffier attitude (without actually getting us invested in the world, characters, or situation to begin with - this also applies to the more recent Akame ga Kill. Thankfully, Urobochi Gen knows how to put that kind of stuff in.) If you've watched any of the magical girl shows that have come out this year, you'll know that the genre hasn't really changed as much as you'd hope. Now, I'm not going to argue against the idea that most of the adults who were at the very least excited for the series were the ones who had nostalgia for the previous one; never watched it. But I will say that adult interest in the magical girl genre is not at all limited to Sailor Moon; look at the magical girl trend throughout the last couple of years - PreCure, Nanoha, and many other shows are no less flattered than the esteemed Puella Magi Madoka Magica by general otaku populace.

As for Sailor Moon being dated, I'd say that there are still plenty of shows that are getting adapted from 80s/90s manga - a more popular example being JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and a less popular one being Ping Pong the Animation. Keep in mind that their acclaim is no less in regards to their age. The most recent Stardust Crusaders, the most popular iteration of the JoJo's franchise, has sold no more in BR/DVD than the first two rather niche parts. It's not that it's dated; people simply enjoy it (of course the name probably does help).

As for what separates Sailor Moon from other lighthearted magical girl anime, I'd say that rather than focusing on what it has, focus on what it doesn't have. The show may be chock full of tropes, but it's not full of the pitfalls that accompany them.

Did you watch the recent movie, What If, starring Daniel Radcliffe? That was an above average romcom that was entertaining in its own right. It didn't do much to differentiate itself from its competitors, but it was both charming and lacking in genre pitfalls, thus making it a smoother and nicer watch. Nothing to write home about, of course, but it doesn't annoy you as much as you think it will. That's the same opinion I have towards Sailor Moon Crystal - it's nothing special, but it's not filled with junk, either.

Last edited by Kiniest; 08-15-14 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 09:41 AM

Holy crap the Kyoto arc in Kenshin is a BANANAS!!!!! I'm 45 eps in so far.
Old 08-16-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Please tell me someone else has seen the craziness that is Daimidaler the Sound Robot, or also known as Prince Vs. Penguin Empire. It's like a perverted version of Evangelion, giant robots fighting penguins with phallus-like tails.

There is a lot of fan service humor.
Old 08-16-14, 11:22 PM

Saturday
Aldnoah Zero 6-7
Tokyo Esp 5-6
Tokyo Ghoul 6-7
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 19-20
Bishouji Tenshi Sailor Moon: Crystal 4
Little Busters EX 6

Total: Ten Episodes

Please tell me someone else has seen the craziness that is Daimidaler the Sound Robot, or also known as Prince Vs. Penguin Empire. It's like a perverted version of Evangelion, giant robots fighting penguins with phallus-like tails.

There is a lot of fan service humor.
Nope. All I remember from what I've seen is

"hey
hey look
these guys have 'front end tails'
get it
hahaha (PS they're penises that's funny right)"

Otherwise, I was busy during the Spring Season and only got around to 12 shows. I'll probably watch Soul Eater NOT, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, and No Game No Life when I have the time.
Old 08-19-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I advise everyone to watch Ben-To when they get the chance. It's the best series I've seen since Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The description sounds terrible about a club of high school kids that fight over half-price bento boxes. Trust me, it's one of the more creative shows seen in recent times. I rarely watch an entire show in a day or two. I devoured Ben-To in two viewings.
Old 08-19-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiniest
I'm afraid to say that rather than influencing the Magical Girl genre in particular, Madoka has only influenced shows such as Day Break Illusion and Selector Infected WIXOSS to darken up their storytelling with hidden secrets behind a puffier attitude (without actually getting us invested in the world, characters, or situation to begin with - this also applies to the more recent Akame ga Kill. Thankfully, Urobochi Gen knows how to put that kind of stuff in.) If you've watched any of the magical girl shows that have come out this year, you'll know that the genre hasn't really changed as much as you'd hope. Now, I'm not going to argue against the idea that most of the adults who were at the very least excited for the series were the ones who had nostalgia for the previous one; never watched it. But I will say that adult interest in the magical girl genre is not at all limited to Sailor Moon; look at the magical girl trend throughout the last couple of years - PreCure, Nanoha, and many other shows are no less flattered than the esteemed Puella Magi Madoka Magica by general otaku populace.

As for Sailor Moon being dated, I'd say that there are still plenty of shows that are getting adapted from 80s/90s manga - a more popular example being JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and a less popular one being Ping Pong the Animation. Keep in mind that their acclaim is no less in regards to their age. The most recent Stardust Crusaders, the most popular iteration of the JoJo's franchise, has sold no more in BR/DVD than the first two rather niche parts. It's not that it's dated; people simply enjoy it (of course the name probably does help).

As for what separates Sailor Moon from other lighthearted magical girl anime, I'd say that rather than focusing on what it has, focus on what it doesn't have. The show may be chock full of tropes, but it's not full of the pitfalls that accompany them.

Did you watch the recent movie, What If, starring Daniel Radcliffe? That was an above average romcom that was entertaining in its own right. It didn't do much to differentiate itself from its competitors, but it was both charming and lacking in genre pitfalls, thus making it a smoother and nicer watch. Nothing to write home about, of course, but it doesn't annoy you as much as you think it will. That's the same opinion I have towards Sailor Moon Crystal - it's nothing special, but it's not filled with junk, either.
I didn't think PreCure had that big of an adult fanbase, but I haven't been following it that closely... isn't it kind of like St. Seiya Omega and on in the early morning weekend kids slots?

I think Jojo really shows it's age, especially the first arc. Still much easier on the eyes than the early manga (Araki's art is barely recognizable and develops a lot over the course of the series), but I wonder if it's drawing any new fans in, or if it's mainly nostalgia. Of course, Araki's work is far from derivative... it's not like, even now, there are a bunch of Jojo clones.

I agree with you that it's worth watching, I'm just wondering how it plays to a young audience who is unfamiliar with the work... and I'm finding out first hand, since my daughter seems to like it.
Old 08-20-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I advise everyone to watch Ben-To when they get the chance. It's the best series I've seen since Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
It actually predates Madoka Magica, but I agree that it's very good and very funny (and better than Madoka, although I may be the only one who doesn't find it to be anything special). It's available on Hulu+.

I started the horribly-titled DRAMAtical Murder on Crunchyroll, which is convoluted but interesting. It's set in the near future on an island with an enclosed private utopia and slums controlled by various gangs and yakuza. A virtual fighting game with "pop up" fights that are broken up by the cops is also involved somehow. I am really enjoying the depictions of everyday life enhancements like Allmates (portable interactive computers built to look like pets) and stuff as simple as the stop signs at crosswalks, but the outfits on most characters are flat out ridiculous, considering the amount of altercations they get into. There is also a noticeable lack of women in the story thus far.
Old 09-10-14, 02:25 PM

Week of 9/8/14

Monday:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn 33-36

Tuesday:
Hunter x Hunter 146
Ace of Diamond 45-47

Wednesday:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn 37-48

Thurdsday:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn 49-56

Friday:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn 57-65

Saturday:
Aldnoah;Zero 10
Tokyo ESP 9-10

Sunday:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn 66-71

Hunter x Hunter was a spectacle. Disappointing to see it end on account of the mangaka's inactivity.

Last edited by Kiniest; 09-15-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-14-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sword Art Online II just isn't doing much for me after 11 episodes. Sinon isn't a good replacement for Asuna. Making Kirito's character a girl avatar this time and doing practically nothing with the gender flip is a way to sell more toys.
Old 09-14-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Street Fighter II V.
Started Golgo 13.
Old 09-15-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sword Art Online II just isn't doing much for me after 11 episodes. Sinon isn't a good replacement for Asuna.
Despite not really caring about who killed who in the past or the present, it's still my most-anticipated show each week after ALDNOAH.ZERO.

I just started my second viewing of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and queued the two Arise episodes that Netflix recently added.
Old 09-15-14, 11:46 PM

Monday:
Katekyo Hitman Reborn 72-75

Aldnoah.Zero is actually the most disappointing affair for me this Summer around. I can't get immersed into anything going on in the show at all. While Gen's pulling some fancy cliffhangers, nothing in the show seems to have any major lasting consequences. It doesn't help that none of the characters are particularly interesting.

I haven't watched Sword Art Online, so I'm not following the sequel. I have no opinion on it.

My favorite shows this season would have to be Barakamon and Ao Haru Ride. Both are very polished, relaxing slice of life shows. They've got a particular charm that select few offerings per year have. Barakamon in particular is a worthy way to spend your time. Nozaki-kun is also good, thanks to its writer's comedic talent. Zankyou no Terror and Tokyo Ghoul are also alright. Save Dandy and Yama no Susume's second airings, I can't really vouch for much more this Summer around.

Continuing shows I enjoy: Hunter x Hunter, Baby Steps, and Diamond no Ace.

Last edited by Kiniest; 09-15-14 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kiniest
While Gen's pulling some fancy cliffhangers, nothing in the show seems to have any major lasting consequences.
I wouldn't say "nothing" (see: Lt. Marito, refugees), but this is a legitimate gripe, especially with episodes 9-10. I also fully expect a certain betrayed and murdered individual to make a reappearance later in the series.
Old 09-17-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

AOT, Part 2. Finally.
Old 09-21-14, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by printerati
I wouldn't say "nothing" (see: Lt. Marito, refugees), but this is a legitimate gripe, especially with episodes 9-10. I also fully expect a certain betrayed and murdered individual to make a reappearance later in the series.
Apologies for the late response.

I will admit ahead of time that mecha isn't my forte, and even with Urobuchi Gen as a player in the production, I still don't have much focus with this type of show. Thus, some of the things I'm about to say may seem like incompletely gathered information.

From what I have gathered, though, I beg to differ.

Lt. Marito's incident is something that happened fifteen years before the start of the show. While it had a lasting effect on how he grew up, this is not a "lasting consequence". This event has as much of an effect on what is currently happening as the previous decimation of the world via spirits in Date a Live. It may alter the setting and the eventual turnout of the storyline, but it is not a direct lasting event.

As for what's happened to the refugees, it's war. People are going to die in very unfair ways. The main cast is still up and running nonetheless.

I have no idea where Urobutcher is taking the series, but I can't say I'm really a fan. Still, I've started the show. Might as well finish it.
Old 09-21-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALDNOAH.ZERO just ended the season and it was pretty rough to see it ended that way. It says it'll be back in January 2015.

Haikyu! also has ended the season (perhaps series??). The show was pretty good and they don't do anything unrealistically physical game - well just borderline. And it's pretty entertainment.

So far, my favorite anime series of 2014 is Baby Steps.
Old 09-21-14, 07:02 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
So far, my favorite anime series of 2014 is Baby Steps.
One of my favorite ones too. 2nd season was announced today and it's planned for spring 2015.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.