Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost in the Shell: Please explain

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the first movie and Innocence. What are Solid State Society, SAC and 2nd gig? What order should I watch them in?

Last edited by junglalien; 02-02-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 01:17 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 541 Likes on 475 Posts
Re: Ghost in the Shell: Please explain

In this order...
  1. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  2. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
  3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
Some would watch the first movie first and the 3 above titles, followed by Innocence. Others watches the movies first.

And in terms of what they are, that's a rather complex questions. You may want to check out the DVDTalk Reviews. If you liked the movies, there is a high chance that you would like the rest.
Old 02-02-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

If you haven't checked out the reviews just wanted to add that SAC happens in a kind of splinter continuity, either the events of Ghost In the Shell 1 never happened or the
Spoiler:
the Major never merged with the puppeteer.

I watched Solid State Society before fully watching the tv series and while I liked it, it would have been more effective had I watched the serieses first.
Old 02-02-10, 06:20 PM
Banned

What about Individual Eleven, The Laughing Man, and Official Log?
Old 02-02-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are compilation movies of the first and second seasons of Ghost in the Shell: SAC. I'm not sure what Official Log is.
Old 02-02-10, 10:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 846 Posts

Official Log is just a special features DVD and book. Absolutely NOT essential to anyone but collectors.
Old 10-08-10, 03:59 AM

Re: the U.S. Blu-ray of GITS 2: Innocence

Thought I'd bring this up here rather than starting a new thread...

Am a growing fan of the GITS franchise, and I just hadn't gotten around to researching or picking this up yet. I've just spent a fair amount of time internet researching Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, the Bandai U.S. Blu-ray/DVD version that was released back in Jan. 09, which now seems to be OOP -- ? I think I managed to find a reasonably priced one from a third-party seller, but I'm still very curious as to its (relatively) rather sudden online/retail-wide disappearance.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how or why/what the reasons are/were behind the BD version of this title coming on and off the market so quickly? Is Bandai's DVD version also OOP (though seemingly still very available)? Thanks.
Old 10-08-10, 09:11 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by ShellBeacher
Re: the U.S. Blu-ray of GITS 2: Innocence

Thought I'd bring this up here rather than starting a new thread...

Am a growing fan of the GITS franchise, and I just hadn't gotten around to researching or picking this up yet. I've just spent a fair amount of time internet researching Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, the Bandai U.S. Blu-ray/DVD version that was released back in Jan. 09, which now seems to be OOP -- ? I think I managed to find a reasonably priced one from a third-party seller, but I'm still very curious as to its (relatively) rather sudden online/retail-wide disappearance.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how or why/what the reasons are/were behind the BD version of this title coming on and off the market so quickly? Is Bandai's DVD version also OOP (though seemingly still very available)? Thanks.
It's not just OOP. It's also not currently licensed by anyone (at least known publicly). Originally is was under DreamWorks and then later released by Bandai Ent. BEI didn't have for that many years. That could suggest that the license probably was transferred over from DreamWorks. It remains to be seen how this movie will be handled/picked up by someone else in the future.
Old 10-08-10, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
It's not just OOP. It's also not currently licensed by anyone (at least known publicly). Originally is was under DreamWorks and then later released by Bandai Ent. BEI didn't have for that many years. That could suggest that the license probably was transferred over from DreamWorks. It remains to be seen how this movie will be handled/picked up by someone else in the future.
Thank you for your quick response. Yes, I'm aware of the earlier Dreamworks debacle (I believe I picked up that DVD years back and returned it immediately once I looked up its 'rep' in terms of subtitles/captions/etc.). It's just interesting to me that Bandai appears to have only had the U.S. license for what, twelve months and some change? More interesting is that I can't find anyone, anywhere online actually talking about it...
Old 10-09-10, 09:58 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by ShellBeacher
Thank you for your quick response. Yes, I'm aware of the earlier Dreamworks debacle (I believe I picked up that DVD years back and returned it immediately once I looked up its 'rep' in terms of subtitles/captions/etc.). It's just interesting to me that Bandai appears to have only had the U.S. license for what, twelve months and some change? More interesting is that I can't find anyone, anywhere online actually talking about it...
Most studio don't mention anything about a license expiring. It's just not a common practice. In this case, it will discovered through RightStuf.com (commented by Shawne).
Old 10-10-10, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Most studios don't mention anything about a license expiring. It's just not a common practice. In this case, it will discovered through RightStuf.com (commented by Shawne).
Oh, I know. I just figured I could find someone talking about "how quickly the DVD went out-of-print," etc. But I don't frequent anime forums, so I probably just wasn't looking in the right place...

Thanks for your response(s).