Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Hellsing Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hellsing Ultimate

Geneon/Funimation granted us the first 4 volumes

In Japan, its now on its 7th volume - When will Funinmation release it? or did they stop due to poor sales?
Old 01-11-10, 04:27 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hellsing Ultimate

I do believe it's a licensing thing. Geneon held the license when they died. FUNimation was merely distributing this series, I think. Don't hold me to that, but I believe that's what's up. I'm sure FUNi is interested in the title though, so who knows!
Old 01-12-10, 09:29 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

It's highly unlikely it's caused by low sales. I would think that think FUNimation would have interests in this property.

The hold-up is very likely on the Japan side (tmerger of Dentsu's Geneon Entertainment Japan division with Universal Pictures International Entertainment's Universal Pictures Japan division). Any series produced by, and has its licensing and distribution handled by Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan is pretty much on hold until further notice.

And FWIW...Geneon USA is basically now an intellectual property holding company. It will only exist until their current contracts expire. And they won't be licensing anything new. The personnel left should only consist of accountants, producer (just in case something goes wrong), and a human resource person. This was taken from the an early December ANNCast.
Old 01-20-12, 02:09 PM

after 2yrs fro this thread.. a shed of light for Ultimate Hellsing Funimation Blu-ray?
Old 01-20-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funimation licensed the OVAs for release in 2012.

http://activeanime.com/html/2011/11/...ltimate-ova-8/

Although it's not mentined there, I've read elsewhere that they intend to release all of the OVAs on blu-ray.
Old 01-20-12, 04:12 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
after 2yrs fro this thread.. a shed of light for Ultimate Hellsing Funimation Blu-ray?
via ANNCast (~23:20 mark)
  • Intend to release 1 - 8 on Blu-ray.
  • Probably will release 1 - 4 in boxset; has Blu-ray rights.
  • Probably will release 5 - 8 individually in quick succession.
OVA 9 is not licensed licensed by FUNimation at the moment ("scheduled" for February 2012 release in Japan). OVA 10 status in Japan is unknown.
Old 09-30-12, 11:02 AM

Finally a Shed of Light!

October 30th and November 13 this year!!

Old 10-02-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's nice to finally see some movement on this after, what, four, five years of rumors. Unfortunately, I pretty much have no interest in the show at this point. The long wait was definitely a factor in my interest going down. Although, even when these were being released individually backing back between 2006-2008, I was a little put off by the comedic/over-the-top tone of the series. Call me crazy, but I actually liked the more serious tone of the older series compared to this new one.
Old 10-10-12, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by big e
Call me crazy, but I actually liked the more serious tone of the older series compared to this new one.
In comparison - there are more comedic stuff on the old series (especially the wacky cartoonish bits inserted on scenes)
Old 11-18-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
In comparison - there are more comedic stuff on the old series (especially the wacky cartoonish bits inserted on scenes)
I rewatched the first volume of the old show last night and it left me feeling underwhelmed. Alucard did have a “coolness” about him, but this coolness, to me, felt artificial, like it was cool for the sake of being cool and ended up leaving everything else in the show feeling flat. It was almost like the writers were reluctant to really give the show any attitude. It seemed too dialogue heavy and unbalanced. It’s been awhile since I watch this show. I think the last time I watched it was before the first OVA came out. That would’ve been ‘06?

To be fair to Hellsing, a lot of the anime shows I’ve revisited over the last couple months, I've come away with less than stellar feelings about. Maybe that goes to show a lot of the shows I liked when I was a teenager either didn't age well or weren’t that good to begin with.
Old 12-30-12, 12:58 AM

Ultimate Hellsing Volume I-IV

Ultimate Hellsing Volume V-VIII
Old 01-11-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

So I watched the first episode on Blu the other night. Even though I had gotten Geneon's steelbook releases, I never actually got around to watching them then (story of my life). I guess I was tired, but man I almost fell asleep watching it. It's probably because this is basically the third time I've gone through this part of the storyline (original series, manga, and now this one). It does seem like they wanted to go through the initial stories pretty quickly... they rapidly move from storyline to storyline within this episode. Does the pacing get better as they get to the parts where the original anime deviated from the manga?

The manga itself lost me near the end... it was volume upon volume of endless battle scenes that I had trouble following, but hopefully the anime is much better in that regard.