Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Monster

Old 01-10-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monster

Anyone saw this series already? - I saw it, it may look original but sad to say the plot line was copied from this 1978 movie "Boys From Brazil".
Old 01-10-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Monster

So it's about mini Hitlers?
Old 01-12-10, 12:03 AM

Yup, something to do about that.
Old 01-12-10, 10:17 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 147 Likes on 130 Posts

I have seen the series years ago. The first boxset came out this past December and it's currently airing on Syfy (Ani-Monday).

I have not seen "Boys From Brazil." I checked IMDB, it's not exactly what that summary is describing. It's rather difficult to describe the series in short [in comparison to that particular movie], but I will see what I can do.

Read below at your own risk...
Spoiler:
Dr. Kenzo Tenma saved Johan and Anna Liebert even though he was ordered to operate on someone much more important (the mayor). Both Johan and Anna were save, but the mayor passed away. Kenzo slowly loses everything due to hospital politics (including higher position in the hospital and marrying hospital director's daughter). A little after that, the director and the doctor that were against Tenma were mysteriously killed.

Skipping a lot further ahead...(9 years or so) Tenma eventually learned where Johan (and Anna) were from ["orphange"] at East Germany. Later on he learned what this orphanage do to its orphans. They are creating the perfect soldiers through psychological reprogramming. Tenma then learned what Johan did @ the orphange and beyond that. Tenma vowed to kill the one person that he should never have save.

I don't think I will go much further then this...

This is a really well-crafted long anime series (74 episodes). It's may be long for some. However for someone who likes psychological/horro/suspense thriller anime, there won't too many series that will top this.

And the DVD Talk review of the first boxset can be found here.

Last edited by WTK; 01-12-10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 01:20 AM

In comparison.. Monster is a 70+ episode with detailed story depth comapre to a 2hr film but basically they the idea of nazi kids was derived from Boys from Brazil.

Most will think its an original concept but me, seeing Boys In brazil first and saw this series as the later.. I can see how the writer secretly pulled some idea from the movie.
Old 01-20-10, 02:01 AM

Monster isn't about the nazi kids. It's about humans, how humans can be monsters in their own right.
Old 01-24-10, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by extatix View Post
Monster isn't about the nazi kids. It's about humans, how humans can be monsters in their own right.
I beg to disagree - so the Kinderheim 511 has nothing to do with Nazi kids then?
Old 01-28-10, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by xage View Post
I beg to disagree - so the Kinderheim 511 has nothing to do with Nazi kids then?
Sure. But is this show about Kinderheim 511 or is Kinderheim 511 part of the story?
Old 02-17-10, 01:23 AM

Speaking of Monster, I've been holding off on getting Box Set 1 waiting for Box Set 2 to get announced but I haven't seen a date for it anywhere. Is there one? The release schedule for this is kinda ridiculous, especially considering the first set only had 15 episodes.

So it's gonna take 5 box sets to release this? Geezus.
Old 02-17-10, 05:02 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 147 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Speaking of Monster, I've been holding off on getting Box Set 1 waiting for Box Set 2 to get announced but I haven't seen a date for it anywhere. Is there one? The release schedule for this is kinda ridiculous, especially considering the first set only had 15 episodes.

So it's gonna take 5 box sets to release this? Geezus.
Boxset 2 is not solicited yet. Hopefully it will be released sometime in May.

Last edited by WTK; 02-17-10 at 05:04 PM.