Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Crunchyroll closes deal to acquire Right Stuf

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 12:08 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ore-right-stuf
Right Stuf joins the Crunchyroll family to bring fans and collectors even greater store offerings!

The news is out! We’re delighted to announce that Right Stuf, one of the world’s leading online anime superstores, has officially joined the Crunchyroll family. Expanding Crunchyroll’s eCommerce offerings, the acquisition aims to serve anime fans and collectors an even wider array of merchandise for online purchase including manga, home video, figures, games, music and everything in between.

“For 35 years, Right Stuf’s mission has been to connect anime fans with the products they love,” said Shawne Kleckner, CEO of Right Stuf. “Joining forces with Crunchyroll allows us to accelerate and scale this effort more than ever before. There has never been a more exciting time to be an anime fan than today!” Kleckner and the Right Stuf team will join Crunchyroll’s Emerging Businesses organization, led by Terry Li.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/post/...chyroll-family
RIGHT STUF HAS JOINED THE CRUNCHYROLL FAMILY

Right Stuf + Crunchyroll = The Best Stuff!

We are excited to announce that Right Stuf has joined the Crunchyroll family! Together, we'll deliver new anime experiences and provide fans with a premiere anime shopping destination.

We remain customer-first and our commitment to customer service is unwavering! The Right Stuf shopping experience, 'collectible' level product packaging and best-in-class service you've come to expect will continue.

Right Stuf Is Joining Crunchyroll, What Does That Mean? Is Right Stuf Shutting Down?

Like chocolate and peanut butter, Right Stuf and Crunchyroll will be even better together. Right Stuf will remain open and ready to serve you with the best anime, manga, figures, and more!

How Will This Affect How I Order?

There should be no changes to ordering from RightStufAnime, unless you are looking to buy Erotica products. Please check here for our Erotica products FAQ.

Will The RightStufAnime Website Address Change?

Branding changes have not been determined at this time. No need to update any bookmarks!

Will The Right Stuf Catalog Be Available To Purchase On Crunchyroll?

Not immediately but stay tuned for exciting new products, features, benefits and more!

Will Right Stuf Sell Only Crunchyroll Products?

Right Stuf will continue to provide the same wide variety of products we have been offering for 35 years, with the exception of Erotica products.

I Have A Preorder On Right Stuf, Will It Still Be Fulfilled?

Yes! Orders will continue to be processed and fulfilled by Right Stuf as usual. See current policy here. If your product contains Erotica items, those orders will be transferred. Please see the section of the FAQ on Erotica products here.

I'm A Got Anime? Member. Will My Membership Change In Some Way?

Your membership will continue to provide the same benefits, but with the combined organization we are looking to expand all of our loyalty offerings. Stay tuned!

Will Route, Sezzle, And Paypal Still Be Available On My Order?

All of these options will remain on the RightStufAnime Store. If you are buying Erotica items, XYZ may have their own offerings. We will work with Route to cover all orders which are transferred to XYZ.

Will The Right Stuf Return Policy Change?

No changes! Please see current return policy and details here.

Can I Return Crunchyroll Shop Items To Right Stuf? Can I Return Right Stuf Purchases To Crunchyroll?

Right Stuf and Crunchyroll stores will continue to operate separately for the moment, and any returns should be made to the store where the item was purchased.

RightStuf Return Policy

Crunchyroll Return Policy

Can I Buy Right Stuf Items With My Crunchyroll Gift Card? Can I Use A Right Stuf Gift Certificate On Crunchyroll?

Right Stuf and Crunchyroll stores will continue to operate separately for the moment, so gift cards will only be honored by the store where the gift card was purchased. If you have a Right Stuf gift card, it's waiting for you to put it to work!

Will Crunchyroll Subscribers Get Any Discount On Right Stuf?

Not yet but we are designing lots of new Crunchyroll subscriber benefits that will include Right Stuf! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter for the latest updates.

Last edited by WTK; 08-04-22 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-04-22, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Crunchyroll closes deal to acquire anime superstore Right Stuf

Dang. I hope they will still have the insane deals of yesteryear.

I assume this affects their anime licenses as well as far as distribution goes? I wonder if Bandai will balk at this.
Old 08-04-22, 01:27 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by fujishig
I assume this affects their anime licenses as well as far as distribution goes?
It's not known. Anime (non-hentai) licenses are under Nozomi Entertainment. Right now everything mentioned currently is for the online store. It wouldn't surprise me if everything Right Stuf eventually will be under Crunchyroll.
Old 08-04-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also they are basically the storefront for Sentai as well. And Rightstuf works really closely with all of the companies in order to have their insane sales. If nothing changes in regards to black friday sales and the like, great, but I wonder how the other companies will react.
Old 08-04-22, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

There's way too much vertical integration happening within the anime space, which is bad news for consumers. I knew Sony buying out Funimation and Crunchyroll was going to pose problems for us in the long run.

Rightstuf actually fulfills orders for Sentai's website.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (08-24-22)
Old 08-04-22, 02:56 PM
WTK

Also they are basically the storefront for Sentai as well.
Yes. Sentai Filmworks Shop orders are fulfilled by TRSI. I expect Sentai to go elsewhere for online store fulfillment in the future.

And Rightstuf works really closely with all of the companies in order to have their insane sales.
You're correct (mostly anime and manga). We don't know how this will impact the "studio sales." Will there be even more minimal discounts from select companies/distributors?

If nothing changes in regards to black friday sales and the like, great, but I wonder how the other companies will react.
We don't know how this will impact their future Birthday Sale (of which just ended) and Holiday Sale. Fewer titles discounted? Fewer titles discounted heavily? Will there be a future Birthday Sale in 2023?
Old 08-04-22, 03:05 PM
WTK

Acquisition includes Nozomi Ent.

https://kickstarter.com/projects/160.../posts/3574960
UPDATE # 33

Updates on Today's Crunchyroll News!

Hello everyone!

You might have heard the news today that Right Stuf Anime (and by extension, Nozomi Entertainment) has been acquired by Crunchyroll! Some of you have expressed concerns about what this might mean for the Dirty Pair Kickstarter.

I want to reassure you that everything for this project is still being handled by the Nozomi team, and nothing about the dub or the Blu-ray release will be affected by this acquisition.

Also, fulfillment of all Kickstarter rewards will continue to be handled by Right Stuf Anime, the same as all our previous Kickstarter projects.

We will have more updates on the progress of the dub coming soon, so please look forward to it!

Sincerely,

Shawne Kleckner

CEO
Old 08-04-22, 03:30 PM
WTK

Re: Crunchyroll closes deal to acquire Right Stuf

http://4NN.cx/.188368
Crunchyroll is 'Evaluating Rights' Regarding Nozomi Entertainment Following Purchase of Right Stuf

Dirty Pair English dub Kickstarter confirms Nozomi Entertainment purchase by extension

ANN reached out to Crunchyroll and Right Stuf regarding the latter's Nozomi Entertainment division following Crunchyroll's acquisition of anime retailer Right Stuf. Crunchyroll responded that there is no news about Nozomi Entertainment at this time as they "evaluate all of the rights." The company has no other updates at this point regarding Right Stuf's anime licensing and home video division, and reports that it will be "business as usual."
Old 08-04-22, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What!

Dang. I hope they will still have the insane deals of yesteryear.

I assume this affects their anime licenses as well as far as distribution goes? I wonder if Bandai will balk at this.
I make most my orders on Amazon now, most titles from Funimation and Sentai eventually goes on sale for 40%+ off and I get free shipping with amazon on any size order.

Crunchyroll store only sells anime from Funimation from what I saw from quickly browsing. I really don't see how Rightstuf will expand what they sell especially after removing all Erotica products.

Last edited by chrisc31; 08-04-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 12:48 AM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.192653

Right Stuf President, Co-Founder Shawne Klecker Leaves Right Stuf/Crunchyroll

In an email sent to Crunchyroll staff and shared with Anime News Network, anime retailer Right Stuf president and co-founder Shawne Kleckner told fellow employees this week that he will leave Right Stuf and Crunchyroll on December 14. He expressed his confidence in the current Right Stuf management team at Crunchyroll.
Old 12-08-22, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

End of an era. But hopefully not the end of an era of great seasonal deals (though I suspect it probably will be)
Old 12-14-22, 07:30 PM
WTK

After 35 years, my journey comes to an end today with my last day at Right Stuf. I hope my efforts brought happiness to many and that the Super Service that I championed will continue.

My farewell message to the staff in the image (I am just too verbose!), if you have interest.

PhantomStranger (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if Right Stuf becomes strictly a shop for Funimation / Crunchyroll. I have to believe the corporation wants to slowly move away from physical media and force everyone into streaming their anime.
Old 04-06-23, 03:20 PM
WTK

We’d love to hear your feedback on your shopping experiences with the @ShopCrunchyroll and Right Stuf Anime! Take our survey below and let us know what you think!
https://on.rsani.me/3KgLPCR

Old 09-22-23, 08:54 AM
WTK

It was announced RightStufAnime will be shutting down on October 10th, 2023 & will migrate all listed products over to the Crunchyroll Store

• The RightStufAnime winter sale will still be ongoing, but it’ll be renamed the Crunchyroll Holiday Sale along with additional changes

• More information regarding discounts, pre-orders, backorders, will be revealed in an upcoming press release

Old 09-22-23, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Writing was on the wall when the acquisition happened but this still sucks.
Old 09-22-23, 10:59 AM
WTK

http://4NN.cx/.202711

Right Stuf Phases Out, Migrates All Products to Crunchyroll Store on October 10

Customers can still find all products previously available on Right Stuf

Crunchyroll revealed on Friday that Right Stuf is phasing out its store and migrating its products to the Crunchyroll Store on October 10. Customers can still find all the products that were previously listed on Right Stuf.

The Crunchyroll Store will have a 2023 holiday sale similar to the one Right Stuf regularly holds. However, there will be "some changes to how the sale operates." The company did not reveal the changes for the "Crunchyroll Holiday Sale."

Crunchyroll added that it is still planning to grow its eCommerce offerings.

Source: Email correspondence

Update: Crunchyroll revealed to ANN that there will be no effect on Nozomi Entertainment's licenses such as for Macross, and projects such as Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment's Kickstarted Blu-ray Disc release for Dirty Pair will continue as planned.

Crunchyroll also revealed to ANN that there will be no disruption to international shipping and availability. The company can ship internationally, but there are notes on Crunchyroll's FAQ that list where the company cannot ship as well as other limitations outside of the U.S. and Canada.

In related news, Media Blasters' John Sirabella stated in a video on YouTube that Right Stuf is "no longer going to be doing live-action." ANN reached out to Right Stuf for comment.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/ann...uf-integration

Crunchyroll Store Becomes Ultimate Destination for Anime Merch, Manga and More Following Right Stuf Integration

The expanded shop offering arrives October 10 with over 30,000 items, including home video, manga and more

The holiday shopping season has arrived early! Crunchyroll is officially expanding its online store with the addition of products and inventory from Right Stuf. Following last year’s news of Crunchyroll acquiring Right Stuf, this latest update promises to enrich the shopping experience for the anime community.

As part of the integration, the Right Stuf store will redirect to Crunchyroll starting October 10. With all products to be available for purchase on the Crunchyroll Store, the collection will boast over 30,000 items, from home video and figures to manga and apparel.

The new storefront also includes exciting AAA items like the My Dress-Up Darling - The Complete Season Blu-ray + DVD Limited Edition; Hime’s Quest, the original game based on Crunchyroll’s mascot; One Piece Manga Volume 100; and the Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho Nendoroid.

“The expansion of the Crunchyroll Store underscores our commitment to providing fans with the ultimate destination for anime-inspired merchandise and collectibles,” said Terry Li, EVP of Emerging Business at Crunchyroll. “Commerce is an important element of the anime lifestyle that allows fans to proudly display their passion, and we look forward to growing the global love of anime by continuing to expand our eCommerce capabilities.”

For more information and to check out what’s available right now, visit the Crunchyroll Store at https://store.crunchyroll.com/.

Last edited by WTK; 09-22-23 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 05:55 PM
WTK

https://store.crunchyroll.com/help-center.html

Right Stuf Anime

What’s going on with Crunchyroll and Right Stuf?

The Crunchyroll Store and Right Stuf Anime are teaming up to offer anime fans more premium merchandise and exciting offers. As part of that process, Right Stuf Anime will be transitioning to the Crunchyroll Store on October 10, 2023. You’ll still be able to access your account and manage your information on the Right Stuf Anime platform through October 25, 2023.

What will happen to my Right Stuf order history?

Anyone with a US/CA Right Stuf account will be able to see their Right Stuf orders placed from January 1, 2020 through October 9, 2023 in their Crunchyroll order history. You can opt-out of migrating your order history by emailing [email protected]. No order history originating outside of the US and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll.

Can I use my Right Stuf gift cards on the Crunchyroll Store?

Yes! Starting October 10, 2023, your Right Stuf gift cards will work on the Crunchyroll Store using the same card number.

Can I use my Right Stuf coupon codes on the Crunchyroll Store?

Yes! Starting October 10, 2023, you’ll be able to use any active Right Stuf coupon codes on the Crunchyroll Store.

Will my Right Stuf account transition to a Crunchyroll account?

Any US/CA Right Stuf account with at least one order since January 1, 2020 will be transitioned to a new Crunchyroll account on October 25, 2023. No accounts originating outside of the US and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll. If you would prefer to not have your account information moved to the Crunchyroll Store, please email [email protected] by October 25, 2023. After October 25, 2023, your account will be automatically transferred to Crunchyroll, but you can opt-out at any time here.

Will my new Crunchyroll Store password be the same as my Right Stuf password?

For security reasons, we’re unable to migrate your Right Stuf password. If the email address associated with your Right Stuf account doesn’t match an existing Crunchyroll account, a new Crunchyroll Store account will be created for you. All you need to do to access it is to request a password using your email and the “Forgot Password?” link on the login page.

I’m a Got Anime? member. Will my membership change in some way?

Current Got Anime? members will be able to continue using their membership while orders are still able to be placed on Right Stuf’s website (until October 9, 2023 at 11:59 pm CT). After October 10, 2023, Got Anime? members will be sent a one-time promotional discount code for 10% Off. Additional codes can be requested by emailing [email protected] with your Right Stuf Got Anime? membership details. These codes can be used through November 8, 2023 after your first initial purchase. Codes are limited to one per member and may not be transferred or gifted. Members may not request additional codes until current codes have been used.

Your Got Anime? membership will automatically move to the Crunchyroll Store on October 25, 2023. If you would prefer to not continue your Got Anime? Membership on the Crunchyroll Store, please email [email protected] to cancel your membership and request a pro-rated refund.

What happens to my Right Stuf open orders and pre-orders? Will they now be fulfilled by Crunchyroll?

At this time, your Right Stuf open orders and pre-orders will still be processed by Right Stuf.

What happens to my Right Stuf wishlist?

Any Right Stuf account with at least one order since January 1, 2020 will have their Right Stuf wishlist rolled over to their Crunchyroll Wishlist.

I’m a Right Stuf Affiliate and/or in the Partner Program. Will this be affected by the transition?

The Right Stuf Anime Affiliate/Partner Program will end on October 10, 2023. Current affiliates and partners will receive further information in the coming weeks on how to sign up to become a Crunchyroll Store Affiliate Marketing Partner.

I’m a Right Stuf dealer, or want to be a dealer. Will I be affected by the transition?

As of September 25, 2023, we are no longer accepting new dealer applications. Current dealer partnerships will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

What will happen to Nozomi Entertainment titles?

Nozomi Entertainment will continue with production of licensed titles. Nozomi products will be added to the Crunchyroll Store beginning October 10, 2023 and will still be available for purchase on the Right Stuf store through October 9, 2023.

I’m not interested in moving my Right Stuf account information to Crunchyroll. How do I opt out?

If you would prefer to not have your account information moved to the Crunchyroll Store, please email [email protected] by October 25, 2023. After October 25, 2023, you can delete your account from the Crunchyroll Store here.
Old 09-24-23, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Feels like the end of an era. I'm worried media on anime will never be the same again. Sony has no vested interest in keeping physical media alive. I expect anime Blu-rays going forward to become increasingly higher priced with fewer discounts available.
Old 09-25-23, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean RightStuf is a licensor but a relatively small one, they are mainly a distributor. I don't think the only reason there are sales on Amazon for anime and Sentai is because of competition with RightStuf. We probably won't see the deals on niche stuff, or the killer black friday deals, but I think there will still be physical media for more mainstream stuff and (hopefully) not everyone priced like Aniplex. And manga... like the surviving big box book stores have a ton of manga, way more than American comic books.

But this is a big blow for sure.
Adam Tyner (09-25-23)
Old 10-08-23, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

I spend way too much money at Right Stuf on manga (I have 21 open orders currently of preorders and backordered stuff) but at least for manga there are tons of places to buy it in the US for a decent price. I'm willing to see how this plays out and how it ends up being through Crunchyroll. If it sucks I'll just use somewhere else.
Old 10-09-23, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I spend way too much money at Right Stuf on manga (I have 21 open orders currently of preorders and backordered stuff) but at least for manga there are tons of places to buy it in the US for a decent price. I'm willing to see how this plays out and how it ends up being through Crunchyroll. If it sucks I'll just use somewhere else.
Any recommendations for manga sales like Rightstuf's though?

Target has 20% off base price and b2g1f deals but they only sell the most popular manga. Amazon rarely puts manga up for really good sales unless it's Viz or they are matching someone. I think the last time I had to rely on a store besides RightStuf for good manga sales, Waldenbooks and Suncoast were still around.
Old 10-09-23, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Any recommendations for manga sales like Rightstuf's though?

Target has 20% off base price and b2g1f deals but they only sell the most popular manga. Amazon rarely puts manga up for really good sales unless it's Viz or they are matching someone. I think the last time I had to rely on a store besides RightStuf for good manga sales, Waldenbooks and Suncoast were still around.
Instock Trades has lower/or same prices (25-35% off manga as the regular price) compared to Right Stuf and the same shipping threshold. They just don't do preorders so it's in stock stuff (I mean it is in the name). I've ordered from them a bunch and they probably would have been my main if they also did preorders. Same with Alibris (just make sure you choose from them instead of third party sellers) and their prices are similar to Right Stuf. I also started using Barnes & Noble a lot more since they do a 25% off preorder coupon (so I'll use it on all my preorders for the next month or two) 4 or 5 times a year so if you combine that with their point system for being a member it equals out to similar as Right Stuf. There is also a bunch of smaller online manga stores that people use like Takara Cafe (which I've used twice and has been good).

The only thing those places don't really do is the big twice a year sales that Right Stuf did and Crunchyroll has said they will continue to do those so I guess we will see how similar they are.
Old 10-10-23, 08:20 PM
WTK

Old 10-10-23, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://otakuusamagazine.com/after-s...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D

Crunchyroll may owe you money, as much as $30 per person as a result of a class action lawsuit. You have to submit a claim.A class action lawsuit against Crunchyroll, LLC has ended with the parties settling out of court. Crunchyroll was accused of giving away subscribers’ personally identifiable information to third parties, without the subscribers’ permission. The lawsuit said this was a violation of the Video Privacy Protection Act.

Crunchyroll agreed to the settlement, but has not admitted to any wrongdoing. Instead, it says it is choosing to settle because it doesn’t want to deal with the amount of money a court case would cost as well as the uncertainties a court case would bring. It denies breaking any laws.

The Kroll Settlement Administration noted:
You are included [in the settlement] if you are a Person in the United States who, from September 8, 2020 through September 20, 2023, (1) was a registered user of an online website, mobile app, or any video-on-demand service or app owned, controlled, and/or operated by Crunchyroll; and (2) viewed videos on an online website, mobile app, or any video-on-demand service or app owned, controlled, and/or operated by Crunchyroll.

Persons included in the Settlement will be eligible to receive a pro rata (meaning equal) portion of the Settlement Fund, which Class Counsel anticipates to be approximately $30.00, but the exact amount is not yet known and could be more or less.
If you are part of the settlement, you must take action by December 15