Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-31-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I guess in an attempt to find a franchise to milk...

Sony may bite on Spidey spinoff
Studio developing 'Venom,' seeking new writers
By Steven Zeitchik

July 31, 2008, 12:01 AM ET

With Heath Ledger's villainous Joker drawing attention and boxoffice dollars, Sony is moving forward with "Venom," a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff based on a bad guy.

The studio is developing the project, based on the gooey nemesis who appeared in "Spider-Man 3" and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise in the way that Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.

But getting any spinoff off the ground, let alone one centered on a villain, can be tricky.

The studio had commissioned a draft of the script from Jacob Estes, a writer of the specialty film "Mean Creek," released several years ago by Paramount Classics. He's also attached to the Plan B drama "The Gifted."

But the studio is considering going in a different direction from Estes' script and is seeking writers for a new draft.

Casting also is no simple matter. Topher Grace played the character in the film, but agents have been eyeing the role for their clients, as Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a tentpole picture.

Neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for this story.

In "Spider-Man 3," Venom is essentially a parasite that attaches itself to a host via a sticky substance that then gives the host special powers. The fact that it is a substance rather than a character could give Sony leeway to cast a new actor.

"Venom" came about as part of the licensing deal between Marvel and Sony for the Spider-Man movies, which contained provisions allowing for the use of spinoffs based on other Spider-Man characters.

The project is part of a larger feeding frenzy for superhero projects, scores of which have been signed up in the last few months while movies such as "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight" light up the boxoffice.

Sony is developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011, but that picture would come out nine years after the original movie debuted, adding to the studio's desire to see new Marvel characters.
Old 07-31-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe if Spider-man 3 hadn't sucked so bad they wouldn't need "an antidote to the aging Spider-Man franchise."
Old 07-31-08, 11:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Maybe if Spider-man 3 hadn't sucked so bad they wouldn't need "an antidote to the aging Spider-Man franchise."
The antidote is "let Sam Raimi do what he wants and don't force him to showhorn characters he doesn't want in the film".
Old 07-31-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Spiderman 3 had bigger problems than Venom being forced into the film.
Old 07-31-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The antidote is "let Sam Raimi do what he wants and don't force him to showhorn characters he doesn't want in the film".
Exactly why I wish marvel can somehow get this franchise out of our hands. As much as I love getting bonuses based on boxoffice, I would rather see a good movie that isn't messed with by Amy Pascal.
Old 07-31-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-31-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
A spinoff with Harry Osbourne as a Green Goblin hero would be better. If they didn't kill him off in the last movie that is. i suppose he could be resurrected if they wanted him though.
Old 07-31-08, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I don't know what your specific beefs were with the film, almost everything that people generally complain about is the direct result of studio interference.
Old 07-31-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 07-31-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Emo Pete was studio interference?
Old 07-31-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know what your specific beefs were with the film, almost everything that people generally complain about is the direct result of studio interference.
Studio interference or not, it was pretty bad. There were plenty of issues with Spidey 3 that should have never made it to the screen.

That being said, I think a Venom film could be cool if done right. Which you know they won't. So it'll suck.
Old 07-31-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly, Raimi has worn out his welcome.
Old 07-31-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please just do us all a favor Sony and give the rights back to Marvel so they can do it right.
Old 07-31-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Admittedly, I don't know anything about the comics, but I'm struggling to understand what the premise of a Venom movie would be. Venom goes around doing bad things with his powers and nobody stops him? Or will there be some kind of hero involved? Anyone with knowledge of the comics want to weigh in?
Old 07-31-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Venom is a hero in some of the comics. He goes around saving people but with less rules than Spiderman. He's a lethal protector.
Old 07-31-08, 12:30 PM

No Venom = No black suit. No black suit = No Emo Pete.
Old 07-31-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I'd check it out. I didn't have a problem with Venom in SM3. No, Venom was just a small part of a whole problem that was Spider-man 3.
Old 07-31-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Raimi could have had Venom and not included Emo Pete. He could have bit the bullet and given the fans what they want (Venom vs. Spiderman movie). Instead he said fuck it I'll just make the movie suck.
Old 07-31-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I feel the whole Spiderman/Green Goblin story arc with the introduction of Gwen Stacy was completely botched. I always thought the studio involvement was the way the movie feels like three screenplays were combined into one. But if we at least got a decent resolution to the freakin' cliffhanger story arc from part 2, I would've been more forgiving.
Old 07-31-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Emo Pete wasn't even the biggest problem with Spider-man 3, it was that idiotic plot between Harry, Mary Jane and Pete. Honestly, Spider-man 2 gave the series some much needed maturity, Spider-man 3 comes around and it's like they were time warped back into high school.

It was mildly entertaining in a super campy way, but it was still really bad and cringe enducing... But, at least there was no Green Goblin/minimum Willem DaFoe, he single handedly made the first Spider-man unwatchable (characters fault, not his).
Old 07-31-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Raimi could have had Venom and not included Emo Pete. He could have bit the bullet and given the fans what they want (Venom vs. Spiderman movie). Instead he said fuck it I'll just make the movie suck.
I agree. Just because the studio asked to have Venom in there didn't mean all those ridiculous scenes needed to be included. Nor Harry's stupid smirk in the restaurant.
Old 07-31-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^Venom is a hero in some of the comics. He goes around saving people but with less rules than Spiderman. He's a lethal protector.
the only thing i know about Venom in the comics is Brock is dying from cancer and Venom is somewhat of his alternate personality.
Old 07-31-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd wager if they make this spin-off Venom film that Carnage will make an appearance as well.
Old 07-31-08, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
I'd wager if they make this spin-off Venom film that Carnage will make an appearance as well.
Seems lilely if they want Venom to be some kind of anti-hero. He has to grudgingly save the city from Carnage?
Old 07-31-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The studio is developing the project, based on the goofy nemesis who appeared in "Spider-Man 3" and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise in the way that Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.
Fixed. The addition of Topher Grace as Venom killed this movie. I get that Raimi insists that everyone gets unmasked at least once during the movie, but when Venom did it... well it was Eric Foreman. What a freakin joke.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.