Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

hope we get a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 release date!
Old 09-13-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

DOOM and Wolfenstein! Very interesting. Octopath looks really cool as well (demo available after direct is over).

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 09-13-17 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Damn Nintendo announced a bunch of great stuff with this Nintendo Direct. Switch is really gearing up to be a great system thus far.
Old 09-14-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I was hoping for a Animal Crossing Switch release announcement. Maybe next year....
Old 09-14-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Pretty disappointing Direct for me. The majority of the Switch games they showed were either already out on other systems or are releasing on other systems at the same time. The Switch exclusives for the most part we've already seen tons of also. Project Octopath was really the only thing that piqued my interest.
Old 09-14-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's getting third party support which is a good thing. Bethesda is really stepping up in supporting Switch. Plus they showed off Mario Odyssey and announced Kirby Star Allies. Plus we got an announcement for Arcade Archives which I wonder if it's replacing Virtual Console.
Old 09-14-17, 11:08 AM

I wonder if the fact that graphical fidelity (as far as being on par with PS4, XB1) is kind of a non-factor with the Switch due to it's portability factor. I mean, unlike the WiiU, which would be sitting right next to/supplementing a PS4 or XB1 there was no real reason to port over major franchises. Whatever the reason, I hope it keeps up.

BTW, anyone else having trouble downloading the Octo demo?
Old 09-14-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I played the new Doom on PC and I just couldn't get into it. I would love to see ports of the old versions with maybe some graphical updates. I still have the old PS1 versions of them to play when I want to blow up crap.

And very interested to hear about the Vs. games coming.
Old 09-14-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
It's getting third party support which is a good thing. Bethesda is really stepping up in supporting Switch. Plus they showed off Mario Odyssey and announced Kirby Star Allies. Plus we got an announcement for Arcade Archives which I wonder if it's replacing Virtual Console.
Third party multiplatform support means nothing for me. I buy Nintendo systems to play their exclusives. I'm never going to buy a multiplatform game on my Switch I'm going to buy it on my PS4. They've already shown hours of footage from Super Mario Odyssey I don't need to see more of it. I know I'm buying it. Those Arcade Archives have zero appeal for me also. Those are not the classic Nintendo titles I want to play.
Old 09-14-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So three big exclusive titles this year (Zelda, Splatoon, Mario) isn't enough? Not to mention something new like Arms. The Switch has had a strong launch in my opinion and is just getting better.
Old 09-14-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the Arcade titles appeal to me, I can see myself buying a couple of them depending on the price.

Zero interest in the Bethesda stuff though, the graphics in those kind of games playing on a more powerful console or PC far outweigh the portability.

Octopath Traveler is right up my alley.
Old 09-14-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

That direct made my wallet hurt! I don't play on PC, and I totally passed on Doom due to limited funds at the time. Love the idea of it being portable, so buying it on the Switch is a done deal. Really glad the 3DS isn't going quietly. The Switch has quickly become my new favorite console to play, I hardly turn my PS4 on anymore. That will most likely change when Battlefront 2 drops.
Old 09-14-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So three big exclusive titles this year (Zelda, Splatoon, Mario) isn't enough? Not to mention something new like Arms. The Switch has had a strong launch in my opinion and is just getting better.
I've said as many positive things about the Switch as anyone on this forum. I'm solely talking about this Direct and the fact that it wasn't exciting for me.
Old 09-14-17, 01:21 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't include Zelda since I picked that up on the Wii U. But once Mario and Kirby get released (and are reviewed relatively well), I'll probably pick up a Switch. I would nned to see a decent black friday type price drop and bundle though to get it this year, otherwise I can wait until next spring.
Old 09-14-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I don't include Zelda since I picked that up on the Wii U. But once Mario and Kirby get released (and are reviewed relatively well), I'll probably pick up a Switch. I would nned to see a decent black friday type price drop and bundle though to get it this year, otherwise I can wait until next spring.
Price drop is doubtful, and as far as bundles go, I'm pretty sure you'll see Xenoblade 2 Switch bundles since its their late year release. Or...Nintendo could do the exact opposite and release a Mario Kart bundle (because, multiplayer). They tend to create holiday bundles based on their big release at the end of the year. Surprised the Mario Odyssey is a launch day bundle and not a holiday bundle.
Old 09-15-17, 07:37 AM

Well, after many failed attempts I finally got the Octopath demo loaded last night. I guess I'll be adding another switch game to my upcoming "to buy" list for the rest of the year (which currently has Xenoblade, Mario, and Skyrim). Despite the "cute" depiction of the characters, it's definitely geared to more mature audiences as far as the initial subject matter. I love the graphical treatment, it's like a super detailed yet dreamlike version of Golden Sun. Battle system is nice as well.
Old 09-15-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I was walking through Walmart last night and spotted the Splatoon switch controller in the clearance section. Wasn't much of a clearance ($65) but after I saw that they were going for almost $100 on Amazon, I picked it up just in case. I don't think I'm ready to drop $380 on that Splatoon bundle, but I'll at least hold on to the controller for a bit in case I change my mind
Old 09-15-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to get a Pro Controller just to have eventually. Maybe I'll look for that. Kind of wish it was Mario themed instead of Splatoon though personally. Looks like they're doing red Joy Cons for a Super Mario Odyssey Switch but I didn't see anything about a Pro Controller.
Old 09-15-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We don't even have ours yet but my wife was in Goodwill the other day and found a Switch Pro controller for $30. Apparently stores like Target donate returns and damaged package stuff to them, and this was unopened as best we can tell.

So, won't have the system till Christmas, but we've got a controller!
Old 09-15-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Looks like they're doing red Joy Cons for a Super Mario Odyssey Switch but I didn't see anything about a Pro Controller.
Yeah, if there were going to be one, I think it would've been announced by now (especially since we did get a look at the pro controller for Xenoblade Chronicles 2).
Old 09-15-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the way they're doing the special edition Pro Controllers anyways. Sort of wish they'd just do them as one solid color with a print or something. The two different colored handles and the main button section being black looks a bit odd on the ones they've put out so far. I guess the one for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks a bit better than the Splatoon 2 one.
Old 09-17-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Octopath is the kind of RPG I loved growing up but that they've steadily moved away from with time. Demo won me, the added boost of nostalgia from the graphics and music didn't hurt either.

I'm super curious to see how well Doom runs on the Switch. Love that game.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-17-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard NBA 2K18 is pretty good looking graphically. It doesn't seem hampered by running on the Switch so good to know 2K didn't half ass it. Hopefully this type of support keeps up. I don't play basketball games really but if WWE 2K18 looks as good I'll probably get it for Switch.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-17-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Surprised at the lack of Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle talk in here. It's pretty much the only big single player game since the launch of the system and has great reviews.
Old 09-17-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

My wife started playing it yesterday. She loves it so far, although she's only on 1-4, so it's still very early.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.