DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

But is the engine Unreal?
Old 06-11-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Maybe it is a light version for portables?
Old 06-11-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But is the engine a Hemi?
Old 06-11-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Only if they make a Hemi hybrid engine...
Old 06-12-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't need motion control Skyrim, or Skyrim at all really, but there it is.

Also, Rabbids + Mario = Xcom.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-12-17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I know all the discussion's going on in the E3 thread, but I figured I'd post a recap here anyway.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M2mZS_p4A7Y?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New!
Portable Rocket League coming late this year with some Nintendo flair.
An outstanding lookin' Kirby game for the Switch coming next year.
A core Pokemon game for the Switch (though no earlier than 2018). No footage, title, or absolutely anything yet; just acknowledgement that it's in development.
Metroid Prime 4! No release window mentioned. Nothing but a title card at this point.
A successor to Yoshi's Woolly World (with more of a cardboard aesthetic).

Trailers
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and a dreadful English dub).
Fire Emblem Warriors (and a dreadful English dub).
Super Mario Odyssey (revealing an enemy/object takeover mechanic), with an earlier release date than expected.

Other Stuff
Reiterating having Zelda stuff in Skyrim.
Breath of the Wild DLC pack 1 reveal.
Breath of the Wild DLC pack 2 teaser.
Breath of the Wild Champion Amiibo.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, if you missed it during Ubi's presser.

More Looks at...
Splatoon 2, FIFA '18, ARMS, and Pokken Tournament DX.

It's not in the showcase, but Nintendo also showed off a trailer for a 2D Metroid game on the 3DS.
Old 06-14-17, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't need motion control Skyrim
..aaand according to Eurogamer, Nintendo is poised to ruin a spectacular-looking new Mario game with motion controls as well.

This frickin' company.
Old 06-14-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
..aaand according to Eurogamer, Nintendo is poised to ruin a spectacular-looking new Mario game with motion controls as well.

This frickin' company.
It says right in the article you can play without motion controls also.
Old 06-14-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang

This frickin' company.
Thankfully it's optional in both titles (another perk of it being a handheld + console, is all major games need to support controller only gameplay)
Old 06-14-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been holding out on a Switch since it came out but this E3 convinced me Nintendo is on the right track. With Metroid and Mario, I'll be buying on the next time my Best Buy has them in stock (which is pretty often actually). Great showing by Nintendo.
Old 06-14-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Great to see that Super Mario Odyssey is part of Best Buy's $10 rewards thing too. Is that a first for a 1st party Nintendo title?
Old 06-14-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit03
Been holding out on a Switch since it came out but this E3 convinced me Nintendo is on the right track.
Really? I'm in the opposite camp. More Mushroom Kingdom games. Shocker.

Mario looks cool. Yoshi does as well, but that's not a selling point to me even though I liked Wooly World. Metroid Prime only being a title card isn't very promising. That'll probably be a 2019 game.

They have a 40 year old catalog full of franchises and yet we're stuck with the same 5-6 games every generation. Mario this, Mario that. Yoshi this, Kirby that. Pokemon, Metroid* & Zelda.

I see nothing worth dropping $360 to play.

*I will be interested in Metroid since they took a break from that franchise on the WiiU (when a visor screen would have actually made sense) but again, I think we're at least a year and a half out if not longer.
Old 06-14-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

On the flip side, the Switch has completely renewed my enthusiasm for Nintendo. The portable capabilities and quick resume make it such a great system to pick up and play in small bursts. I mentioned it in the E3 thread, but for me it's become the perfect compliment to the Xbox and PS4 I own because of the hybrid function, something I never quite got with the Wii (and ignored on the Wii U) and all the smaller indie or puzzle games I already know I prefer on Switch.

They still make some decisions i'm not a fan of (seriously, bring the 2D Metroid to Switch!), but there's also unique titles like Arms and a sequel to Splatoon coming out.
Old 06-14-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
More Mushroom Kingdom games. Shocker.
Yes, a staggering two Mushroom Kingdom games from Nintendo, adding to the zero currently available on the Switch.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 06-14-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-14-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mario looks cool. Yoshi does as well, but that's not a selling point to me even though I liked Wooly World. Metroid Prime only being a title card isn't very promising. That'll probably be a 2019 game.

They have a 40 year old catalog full of franchises and yet we're stuck with the same 5-6 games every generation. Mario this, Mario that. Yoshi this, Kirby that. Pokemon, Metroid* & Zelda.

*I will be interested in Metroid since they took a break from that franchise on the WiiU (when a visor screen would have actually made sense) but again, I think we're at least a year and a half out if not longer.
There was no exclusive Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, or anything but Mario Kart and Yoshi for Wii U. Really only Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword in the decade before the Switch. I'd so much rather have these core games than the gimicky stuff that marked the previous 3 gens.
Old 06-14-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What? This is hardly a comprehensive list, but the following franchises have had games in the "last generation" of Nintendo consoles (Wii U and 3DS):

Animal Crossing
BoxBoy!
Brain Age
Chibi Robo
Codename S.T.E.A.M.
Devil’s Third
Dillon’s Rolling Western
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Fossile Fighters
Fluidity
Freakyforms
Harmo Knight
Kid Icarus
Kirby
Legend of Zelda
Mario Kart
Mario Sports
Metroid
NES Remix
Pikmin
Pokemon
Pushmo
Rhythm Heaven
Splatoon
StarFox
Steel Diver
Super Mario (includes a pretty wide variety of games and spin-offs like Captain Toad and Yoshi)
Super Smash Bros.
Style Savvy
Tomodochi
Wii Fit
Wii Party
Wii Sports
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade

Last edited by ultimaton; 06-14-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-14-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea but those are REALLY good franchises lol. I skipped the Wii U (and hell, most of the Wii since I hated that system) so it's been a long time since I've dived into these franchises. I took a look at the games and can rationalize spending $300 for a new system.

Zelda BOTW: Looks amazing and overwhelming positive review. Plus I actually already have the collectors version. That sword statue was too amazing to pass up
Metroid Prime 4: You're probably right, we won't see this one til Xmas '18
Mario Kart
Mario Odyssey: Actually looks like a solid Mario. Seems like it keeps the traditional Mario but adds enough to make it interesting
Splatoon: Missed it on Wii U but seems fun
Yoshi: Haven't played a Yoshi game since SNES. Seems like a solid platformer

It's not only these games that are driving my purchase, it's the whole attitude change of Nintendo. It actually sounds like they're listening to the fans, and moving away from the gimmicky motion controls (they're still there but least not crammed down your throat). Even having a traditional Pokemon title on their main platform is a huge switch (no pun intended). I'm not a Pokemon fan, but the fact that they're making a full on traditional Pokemon for their main system is huge. The fans have been asking for that for years.
Old 06-14-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, the Switch is a glorified portable so it's not like putting Pokemon on there is a massive stretch.
Old 06-14-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Monster Hunter XX won't be localized for the U.S.

Capcom confirmed to GameSpot that it has no plans to localize the recently announced Nintendo Switch version of Monster Hunter XX.

Originally released in Japan for 3DS earlier this year, Monster Hunter XX is an expanded version of Monster Hunter Generations, featuring additional quests, monsters, and other content. Capcom announced a Switch release for the game last month. In addition to high-resolution visuals, the Switch version also supports online cross-platform play with the 3DS game. Players can also transfer their save data over from the 3DS release to Switch.
Old 06-15-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but it looks like there is a $5 premium on the Splatoon Pro Controller. I would have never thought that Nintendo could price a controller that would cost half as much as the $150 XB1 Elite controller.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo...?skuId=5919400
Old 06-15-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, man! I hope that means I'll be able to buy the neon pink/green joy-cons domestically too! BB only seems to have the Pro Controller (so far?).
Old 06-15-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, I'd love any extra joy-cons I get to have some color to 'em, but the red/blue ones are sold out pretty much everywhere, and the electric yellow ones are ghastly. I'd totally be game for the Splatoon colors.
Old 06-15-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Nintendo site shows the Pro Splatoon but not the watermelon joy-cons. But it also doesn't list BB as a retailer of the Pro either, so I'm holding out hope.
Old 06-16-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I played ARMS for...I dunno, a half hour? Hour? I definitely still have a learning curve to overcome.

In a way, I have that racing wheel vs. controller dilemma I get with racing games. Racing wheels are a lot of fun, but I generally don't play nearly as well with 'em. I feel like I have far more precision with a controller, but I kinda miss having brakes, the tactile feel of a full-size wheel, etc., etc., etc.

With ARMS, I feel like I generally play better with a controller, although blocking and curving punches aren't as intuitive as they are with the joy-cons. I don't have as easy a time with movement with the joy-cons, and I won't always do what I intend (occasionally throwing punches instead of grabbing, for instance), but it's so much more fun. And kind of exhausting, I guess, since I'm getting old. I'm sure I'm punching way harder than necessary too.

I'm not sure if all the tutorials are this way, but I tried a couple of the different punching training modes, and there aren't any on-screen prompts to help guide you along. They're just one-fight matches where your opponent takes it incredibly easy on you. I'm not really sure what the point is, then.

I'm not really sure what I think yet. I've mostly just run through a few tutorials and played with my wife, who is unquestionably the more dominant player of the two of us. Since I don't have a good feel for the controls yet, I haven't braved any of the single player modes. I'm not immediately in love. I can't see it being a Splatoon-style obsession for me. Even after 45 minutes or whatever, my wife and I were kind of like...is that all there is?
Old 06-17-17, 12:50 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Finally got an email alert from Walmart that they were back in stock, so I ordered one that'll be ready for pickup Tuesday.

I got Zelda and ARMS from Best Buy with the GU discount.

Now to shell out $80 for another set of joy cons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.