Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 06-02-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Kotaku says that Nintendo says “Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will have ongoing access to a library of classic games with added online play. Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription.”

To me, this reads like the selection won't rotate on a monthly basis as previously stated but rather as long as you subscribe, the selection will continue to grow. Would like some more clarity on that still.
Old 06-02-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It sounds to me like "Nintendo Classics" version of Playstation Now or Xbox Game Pass, but as a "perk" to their online gaming subscription.
Old 06-02-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Would like some more clarity on that still.
Kotaku posted a followup.

Not only will the Switch’s online service be significantly cheaper than its competitors, at $20/year, it will give subscribers access to a library of classic games, still enhanced with online play. No more monthly releases. You won’t have to worry about time running out. As long as you maintain your subscription, you can play as much as you’d like.
...though there are still more questions than answers overall. (How many games? How frequently will they be added? How frequently will they be removed, if the Netflix analogy holds? What does this mean for the Virtual Console? etc.)
Old 06-02-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

$20 a year isn't bad. I hope the Virtual Console is still offered though. There are some games I'd like to own rather than having them just available to play on demand.
Old 06-02-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Trying to emulate the whole Switch commercial situation where me and a friend at work huddled around the device with a joy-con in hand to play Puyo Puyo together. Even with just the two of us, playing split screen sure was rough on that little screen
Old 06-03-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I recall, the Switch is completely region-free, correct? Is there any reason to think that controllers from Asia won't work with my console?

I really want those Splatoon green & pink joy-cons as my second set and I'm willing to import them from Play-Asia or something.
Anyone?
Old 06-04-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I'm 99.9% sure that the wireless controllers are exactly the same between regions. What I'm not entirely sure of is if they finally fixed the manufacturing problem with them. With the new colors you'd think the fix would be in place, but if for some reason you got a faulty controller I'm not sure how far Nintendo US would go to help you.
Old 06-04-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What was the manufacturing problem? I only bought my switch two weeks ago and haven't noticed an issue and I wasn't keeping up with the day-to-day before then.
Old 06-04-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

What was the manufacturing problem?
Some people were having connectivity issues with left joy-cons. They'd just periodically stop responding if you were at a certain distance or if something were in the way. I'm not sure how widespread the issue was. I personally haven't had any issues like that in MK8D or Snipperclips, the only games where I've used the joy-cons. Nintendo's fix seemed to just be putting a little block of conductive foam inside.

The official word from Nintendo:

There is no design issue with the Joy-Con controllers, and no widespread proactive repair or replacement effort is underway. A manufacturing variation has resulted in wireless interference with a small number of the left Joy-Con. Moving forward this will not be an issue, as the manufacturing variation has been addressed and corrected at the factory level.

We have determined a simple fix can be made to any affected Joy-Con to improve connectivity.

There are other reasons consumers may be experiencing wireless interference. We are asking consumers to contact our customer support team so we can help them determine if a repair is necessary. If it is, consumers can send their controller directly to Nintendo for the adjustment, free of charge, with an anticipated quick return of less than a week. Repair timing may vary by region. For help with any hardware or software questions, please visit http://support.nintendo.com.
Old 06-04-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Finally jumped in on the ARMS test for a few minutes, the motion controls are quite good all things considered.
Old 06-04-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

While Nintendo did the right thing and repaired all the joycons sent in, I have issue with them saying there's no design issue and no widespread replacement effort was underway. There obviously was, unless they're quibbling with the word widespread.
Old 06-05-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Contrary to previous reports, it looks as if it actually is FIFA '18 on the Switch:

The Switch version isn't running on Frostbite, it doesn't support the companion app (!?), and it doesn't have The Journey: Hunter Returns mode...possibly other omissions as well.
Old 06-05-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the same port that last gen systems are getting.
Old 06-05-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Probably the same port that last gen systems are getting.
Yeah, it looks that way. At least it's not a port of the mobile version (or am I jinxing something by saying that?).

In more cheerful news, Nintendo of Canada announced an early access event for Super Mario Odyssey during E3:

Hopefully we'll be seeing something on the other side of the border too.
Old 06-05-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

FIFA 18 trailer confirms Switch version will be a lesser product (update)

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/5/157...intendo-switch
Old 06-06-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Sadly, not at all shocking. :/
Old 06-06-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Pokken (now Pokken Tournament DX) is coming to the Switch on 9/22 with all the DLC characters:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ue-CBOrLnb0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-07-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

ARMS reviews are starting to pop up:

Eurogamer (Recommended)
IGN (8 / 10)
Nintendo Life (9 / 10)
Old 06-07-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

7 from Gamespot - https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/arm.../1900-6416696/

8 from Polygon - https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/7/157...intendo-switch

I'm still undecided.
Old 06-07-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, even the most positive reviews leave me wondering how much staying power it'll have -- that "it's great, even though there's not much there!" vibe. I'll still give it a shot, though.
Old 06-07-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The feeling of "well, I need a new Switch game to play!" is strong
Old 06-07-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The feeling of "well, I need a new Switch game to play!" is strong
Yup.

Zelda was great, but I burned out after 50 hours. Mario Kart was good, too. Both have been traded in. Thumper, it turns out, is just not my kind of game, so while I have it, I do not like it.

I'm waiting for Splatoon.
Old 06-10-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

EA on FIFA:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) revealed the first feature details of EA SPORTS™ FIFA 18 on the Nintendo Switch™ console. The game delivers an authentic and immersive football experience, allowing fans to play the world's game anytime, anywhere.

This new edition brings the modes fans know and love, including FIFA Ultimate Team™, Career Mode, Kick Off and Local Seasons, making it the deepest portable game ever to be introduced by EA SPORTS FIFA. Ultimate Team fans will get to participate in beloved features like Squad Building Challenges, Online and Offline Seasons, Tournaments, and Draft. Players will enjoy live campaigns connected to the narrative of the football season, the Transfer Market, and more Ultimate Team features that will be revealed very soon.

"FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the best FIFA you can take with you anywhere, play anytime and with anyone," said Producer, Andrei Lăzărescu. "We're delivering the immersive and authentic experience that fans expect from FIFA, while leveraging innovative ways to play both at home and on the go with Nintendo Switch."

The game takes advantage of the console's unique portability, allowing players to enjoy the game in docked, handheld or tabletop mode, and utilizing local multiplayer connection for Local Seasons. Multiple control schemes are also featured, so whether you prefer to play handheld, dual Joy-Con™, single Joy-Con or Pro Controller, there's an option to fit your playstyle.

The game delivers the most technologically-advanced portable FIFA experience ever, outputting 1080p resolution when docked and 720p on handheld. Players are the most realistic they've ever been due to new Physically Based Player Rendering, and immersive, 3D environments that bring the pitch to life.

In addition to unique control and gameplay features, as well as a robust FIFA Ultimate Team, players can participate in Local Seasons across two Switch consoles, as well as Kick-Off mode, Career, Online Seasons, Tournaments, Women's International Cup and Skill Games.

Join the EA SPORTS FIFA community at Facebook and on Instagram. Follow us on Twitter @easportsfifa and use the hashtag #FIFA18.

FIFA 18 is developed by EA Vancouver and EA Romania and will be available worldwide on September 29 for Nintendo Switch
Old 06-10-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the best FIFA you can take with you anywhere
Well, that's saying something

At least we know it's better than the mobile version.
Old 06-11-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Well, that's saying something

At least we know it's better than the mobile version.
Eurogamer posted some hands-on feedback, leading with:

FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is a curious beast: a game not quite last gen, not quite current gen. It's a game that on the face of it looks significantly inferior to the PS4, Xbox One and PC versions, but viewed as a portable game is pretty impressive. It's a game I'm happy to play on a bus, but I wouldn't want to play it on a big telly at home.
Also:

How exactly is the Nintendo Switch version of FIFA 18 different than the other versions?

Andrei Lazaresco: This is a custom-built engine for the Switch. It's completely different than the PS4 and the Xbox One.

So, it's not Frostbite.

Andrei Lazaresco: It's not Frostbite. It's custom-built. The whole engine is entirely new to the platform.

It's not Ignite [the engine used for the last-gen version of the game]?

Andrei Lazaresco: No.
Way more at the link.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.