Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Quarry - Spiritual Successor To "Until Dawn" (PS4, PS5, XO, XSX, PC) - Summer 2022

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Quarry - Spiritual Successor To "Until Dawn" (PS4, PS5, XO, XSX, PC) - Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Yes, Supermassive Games is doing a spiritual successor to one of my favorite PS4 games!

Supermassive Games has revealed The Quarry, a spiritual successor to Until Dawn launching on June 10. As with Until Dawn, the cast is made up of a number of recognisable actors.

The Quarry is a teen horror where players control nine different characters as they try to survive the last night of summer camp, and like Until Dawn, anyone can live and anyone can die.

Supermassive promises ground-breaking interactive storytelling in an unpredictable night of horror with plenty of flirting and fear, as relationships between characters are built and broken through intense player-based choices.

Director Will Byles told IGN that each character has ten to 12 different potential deaths. He said The Quarry is "like a circular story and each one of those characters is a spoke heading towards the middle", meaning any one of those spokes can be broken without affecting the rest of the narrative.

An early death for each character will result in roughly seven hours of gameplay but Byles estimated that most playthroughs will last around ten hours. He said The Quarry is very replayable though, as at the end of each playthrough players are given different cards depicting the conclusion of each character.

There are 187 of these collectible cards in total, offering completionists a reason to explore every inch of The Quarry's branching story.

The game can also be played in co-op, both locally or online. The former lets each player pick a counsellor to control while online play lets other users watch the playthrough and vote on each decision.

Allowing people to play together is something Supermassive wanted to implement following the popularity of Until Dawn, Byles explained.

"That was almost like a game/movie experience and we definitely wanted to keep that going," he said. "We weren't aware quite how social it got with other people sitting down."

The Quarry also features several accessibility options that allows players to completely customise the experience, whether playing solo or cooperatively.

Different gameplay components such as quick time events, button mashes, and aiming and shooting can all be toggled on and off, even between characters. "If you're playing with your grandparents, you can be playing your version with your character, and then their characters can have all that turned off", Byles said.

The game can even be played as an almost movie-like experience with very little interaction, attesting to its various movie influences.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (03-17-22), Edison (03-19-22), Michael Corvin (03-20-22), Music (03-18-22)
Old 03-17-22, 02:14 PM

Re: The Quarry - Spiritual Successor To "Until Dawn" (PS4, PS5, XO, XSX, PC) - Summer 2022

The Quarry - Cast List

• Ariel Winter – Modern Family, Speed Racer
  • Ethan Suplee – The Wolf of Wall Street, Remember the Titans, My Name is Earl
  • David Arquette – Scream franchise, Eight Legged Freaks
  • Lin Shaye – Insidious franchise, The Grudge, Ouija
  • Miles Robbins – Halloween (2018), Blockers
  • Grace Zabriskie – Armageddon, Wild at Heart, The Grudge
  • Halston Sage – Neighbors, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Paper Towns
  • Zach Tinker – 13 Reasons Why, Law & Order: True Crime
  • Lance Henriksen – Aliens, Alien 3, The Terminator
  • Brenda Song – Dollface, The Social Network, New Girl
  • Siobhan Williams – Forsaken, Heartland
  • Skyler Gisondo – The Social Dilemma, Santa Clarita Diet
  • Evan Evagora – Star Trek: Picard, Home and Awa
  • Justice Smith – Detective Pikachu, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  • Ted Raimi – Evil Dead, Spider-Man, Xena: Warrior Princess

The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 03:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: The Quarry - Spiritual Successor To "Until Dawn" (PS4, PS5, XO, XSX, PC) - Summer 2022

That’s a nice cast list. What kind of game is this really? Never played Until Dawn.
Old 03-17-22, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
That’s a nice cast list. What kind of game is this really? Never played Until Dawn.
It's all quick time events and decision making. Kind of like The Walking Dead. But done with mo-cap recognizable actors. And brutal consequences where a single missed button input or jostled controller means a character is dead and you don't get another chance to reload and try again.
The game is a horror movie simulation. I will never forget when I took one character to see who was banging on a door screaming for help and immediately got her killed.
You will recognize a future Oscar winner here.
Old 03-17-22, 03:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Oh yeah, I heard about game, Until Dawn, but wasn’t sure genre. Sounds good, but not for me.
Old 03-17-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Loved Until Dawn but didn't care for the last few anthology games. Hopefully a return for them.
Old 03-18-22, 09:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Until Dawn was great. Too bad Decker's friend's daughter won't be in this one.
I heard the Anthology games got better, but I gave up on the first one pretty quickly.

I'm down for The Quarry. Glad it's not tied to a single platform this time around.

Remember the Until Dawn VR game? That shit was bad...
Music (03-18-22)
Old 03-18-22, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Never played Until Dawn. I think it was a free PS5 game a while ago. I should fire it up.
I saw this game on Lance Henriksen’s Instagram. It looks cool.
Old 03-19-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I loved Until Dawn. I would have gladly paid the "Deluxe" tax if they had a physical version, and would have pre-ordered now. I will probably still pre-order, but It will just be the standard edition. I have to decide if I want the Xbox Series X, or PlayStation 5 version.

Deluxe Edition additional contents.

The deluxe also includes both last gen, and current gen games digitally.
Old 03-20-22, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sounds like an immediate purchase but I bought at least one of the Anthology games that I never got to. I think there are three of those that went largely unnoticed, so that gives me pause. If this came out directly after Until Dawn then yeah, day 1. Now though, I might play the wait and see game on reviews.
Old 06-08-22, 11:16 AM

Sounds like The Quarry is a winner. Currently 81 on Metacritic. And as much as I loved Until Dawn, this is a no-brainer for me.

The question is : Do I spend the extra $10 on the Deluxe Edition just for the costumes, instant access to Death Rewind (which is kind of cheating) and the Movie Mode? (you get the horror filters with pre-order through tomorrow with any edition) I still am not sure. I just think the Movie Mode might be enjoyed by my daughter and her friends. Don't really need it. So I am still undecided.
Old 06-10-22, 12:42 PM

Picked this up today. I’m hoping to dive into it this weekend.
After finally playing Until Dawn I got obsessed with it and replayed it three or four times.
Old 06-10-22, 02:49 PM

I eventually went ahead and ordered the deluxe edition. I really think I could have saved the $10 by not getting it, but that movie mode just sounded like such a cool idea and I didn't want to miss out on that.
unfortunately my daughter is working all weekend and this is a game that I have to play with her. So I'm not quite sure when I'm going to be able to get some gaming time in but I hope it's soon.
Old 06-10-22, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So the only way to buy this digitally for PS4 is to buy the PS4 and PS5 Deluxe Edition for $79.99?
Old 06-10-22, 04:43 PM

No. It's $59.99. At least it was available for preorder at that price. I don't see it now listed, which is very weird. Gotta be a mistake. Because it absolutely was available a couple of nights ago.
Edit : There's a link for purchase of the Standard Edition PS4 version on the Quarry Game Website, but the link leads to a Not Available For Purchase web listing.
RichC2 (06-10-22)
Old 06-11-22, 09:31 PM

I’m on chapter eight out of 10. A few first impressions:
This is one of the best looking games I’ve ever played. Yeah sometimes they still have problems with eyes and teeth, but there are more than a few scenes when it absolutely could have been a live actor. The lighting is amazing.
It’s more cinematic than Until Dawn in a good and bad way. It’s really like an interactive movie more than anything. That could turn some people off I guess, but in my opinion it’s only really going to hurt my replay value. Yes you get to make choices, but I think it’s going to get tedious doing multiple playthroughs with more watching than doing.
The story thus far is pretty solid and I’ll refrain from saying anything further other than if you enjoy horror, you’ll like this.
Obviously the game could make a turn for the worse in the next few hours, but as of now I recommend it.
Oh and I’m at about 8 1/2 hours of playtime. So a bit over an hour a chapter give or take.
Old 07-12-22, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

FYI, Amazon currently has this as a lightning deal as part of Prime Day. It looks like it’s a $20 discount for any platform.
Old 07-12-22, 10:37 AM

I finished this on Sunday (a couple of trips delayed my playthrough with my daughter). Took a lout 11 1/2 hours, but would have been quicker if I didn't spend so much time wandering around looking for Tarot cards and clues. I liked it a lot. Cast is great. Game looks amazing. But the game play is maybe too easy. Never failed a button press or breath-holding episode or a QTE after moving from the left stick to the D pad. Probably should have gone with the same control system as Until Dawn so that bad things would happen more often.
Only ended up killing two people. Tried to use the Death Save for the second one, which happened at the end of Chapter 10, and it said it would have to rewind all the way back to Chapter 1 (​​​​​​). So that was one little mistake early that had tragic consequences much later (it also sidelined a couple of my favorite characters for all of Chapter 10)
Adam Tyner (07-12-22)
Old 07-12-22, 11:16 AM

I ended up doing eight full runs through it I think.
1. Normal
2. Kill everyone
3. Save everyone
Spoiler:
4. Infect everyone

5. Last man standing & tarot
6. Last woman standing and evidence
7. Hard Pass attempt
8. Hard Pass trophy

Last weekend I had eight friends over and we did couch co-op. It was really fun. I plan on doing it again with another group of friends in August.
Decker (07-12-22)
Old 07-12-22, 11:22 AM

Wow. You must have a lot of free time!
Old 07-12-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Maybe he is in Quarryntine.
Toddarino (07-12-22)
Old 07-12-22, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow. You must have a lot of free time!
Yeah. Other than work I don’t do much these days. Covid killed the band I was in and we are waiting for winter to start filming my next movie project.
Old 07-14-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

FYI, if anyone was on the fence and missed the Prime Day deal, Best Buy has it as today's deal of the day with the same $20 discount for all platforms.
Old 07-15-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Still on sale for 49.99 at Amazon. I'm likely to grab a copy today
Old 07-15-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I went ahead and ordered from Best Buy last night. Been playing Until Dawn after sleeping on it all these years and it's a great game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.