Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Played for an hour last night. I realized that harvesting and selling Gold and Platinum is a great way to make a lot of cash quick. So got a lot of money relatively quickly and bought my first new ship. Looks a lot better and an extra few inventory slots, so pretty good. I also saw a ship that looked very similar to Boba Fetts Slave I which was cool.

The more i play the game the more i love it, but i also see how people can find it a dull and repetitive experience. I am very happy that i bought it and am positive i am gonna get a lot of hours of gameplay from it, but i can see a lot of people trading it in after a couple of weeks.
Old 08-12-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
The more i play the game the more i love it, but i also see how people can find it a dull and repetitive experience. I am very happy that i bought it and am positive i am gonna get a lot of hours of gameplay from it, but i can see a lot of people trading it in after a couple of weeks.
The addictive feeling I get from this game reminds me a lot of a very different sort of game that I played the shit out of back in the day --Animal Crossing. Yeah, it's a lot of repetitive drudgery and it really shouldn't be considered fun as much as a time-sink. Yet somehow I keep wanting to come back and get just a little more done.
For me, that's a successful game, but I certainly don't begrudge others who might not enjoy it at all.

Certainly there are a lot of things that could have been improved on, namely inventory management, species behavior, space battles, maps. Still I enjoy playing this game.
Old 08-12-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Once they made it where you can only play a digital game on the primary console unless you are signed in with the psn of the purchaser on another console, it makes it better for us to have a disc copy. Sometimes my daughter wants to play games on the other console and she would not be able to unless she is signed in under my name, which I do not want as I am often signed in myself. Allow me to own a game on two consoles without a lot of hassle and I will consider it. Until then, shove your full priced digital games. I have already been screwed by digital purchases by not being able to download several Spinal Tap songs and a whole Red Hot Chili Peppers album I bought on Rock Band. That's at least 25 dollars in content that I no longer have access to. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-12-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought this (and a PS4) last night, and got my ship up and running. Had a great relaxing time exploring, collecting, etc on my home planet. I took off into space, mined some asteroids, then went back down to save and realized I should be exploring a lot more of the planet before leaving.

Also it took me too long to realize I need to recharge my life support, radatation sheild, etc - I thought I could only do that at the ship, so I was struggling. But once I realized the patterns of collection, healing, it all came together.
Old 08-12-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think it would have been impossible to meet some gamers expectations. A game that would have an entire universe to explore, countless different creatures and locales, ground fighting, dog fighting in space, trading, deep storylines, communication with countless alien races, resource gathering and trading. Most games are lucky if they have a few of these elements superbly done and exhaustive in their abilities. To have one game that incorporates almost everything, and to have each be incredibly deep and detailed is simply impossible. That game would take a lifetime to create, need a machine incredibly powerful to run it and a hell of a lot of storage space.

A friend of mine in the UK is playing the game and as are sharing screenshots and one thing he mentioned is how peaceful and relaxing the game can actually be. That makes a big and welcome change from most games.
Old 08-12-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As expected on the PC side its a bit of a shitshow. Lots of crashing for lots of people, and then that stuttering that I mentioned earlier. Luckily on the AMD side things seem pretty good in the hour or so I've been playing the release version, no crashing so far on my Fury X, and I can crank up all the settings to max, SSAA 4X, FOV 100, and it stays pretty much at 60 FPS with occasional drops to ~50 FPS. The stuttering is there, but it doesn't seem as bad as I've seen on people running with Nvidia. I'm pretty certain the stuttering is an app issue, so hopefully they resolve that soon.

Steam reviews are amazingly negative: http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/

They really do deserve to get slammed for this, they just didn't give a shit about the PC version until right before release.

Last edited by flashburn; 08-12-16 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hows the fade in when flying over planets on pc
Old 08-12-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Hows the fade in when flying over planets on pc
Honestly, not nearly as bad as PS4, but it ain't great either. It's not like you'll be spotting outposts in the far off horizon. You'll still be pretty much on top of things before they pop in.

The game looks really good on PC (I mean, as good as it can, I guess), but it runs like dog shit for the most part. There'll be times when you're humming right along at 60+fps or whatever, then BAM! you're down to below 10. It's really that bad.

I managed to get 118 min of playtime on the PC version today before I decided to throw in the towel and request a refund. I've still got my PS4 version, so I'll just stick with that.
Old 08-12-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Well this is fun. I switch back over to the PS4 version, and it's already crashed twice within the first five minutes. This game's kind of a mess.
Old 08-12-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I think some of the rancor had to do with that one guy blatantly lying about multiplayer over and over again, digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole until it was proven that you can't directly interact with anyone.
Old 08-12-16, 07:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The fade in bothers me a lot on ps4 other than that i'm enjoying it so far, only on my 3rd system
Old 08-12-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

If you leave the planet, can you go back to where you were by following some marker or waypoint?
Old 08-12-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

So do you guys recommend leaving the planet to sell off all that junk that takes up inventory (the trading stuff) and coming back to finish the first planet, because even expanding my inventory I'm skipping a ton of chests now.
Old 08-12-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
If you leave the planet, can you go back to where you were by following some marker or waypoint?
Nope. No breadcrumb trail to leave behind.
Old 08-12-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Nope. Chances are you wont find it again. If it was a base or something that was marked you can, though.

I hate how they don't have a way to mark places you've visited. The new discoveries are the same color as the places you've been.
Old 08-12-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I was able to get back to my first planet, and am now 100% of animals on it.

Last edited by Music; 08-12-16 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Nope. No breadcrumb trail to leave behind.
They really need to add that in for future updates. It's ridiculous that it's not already on there.
Old 08-13-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still haven't left the planet yet....my first because I'm still finding stuff....

Found three of those Triangle Pods giving me more slots in my suit.

Discovered at least another 10 plants, animals and minerals

Found three Observatory's giving me some key points

Collected enough Green Trading items to finally get a better Multi-Tool along with some cool recipes like Grenade & Plasma launchers

Up to 83% complete on the planet with one more place, outpost or Ruin to be discovered.

I did have a question about some items you find and get like the Red Items...Shielding Shard for one. I held on to two of them thinking they were key items in a recipe to make your suit or ship stronger. I didn't realize they're another consumable...or am I missing something.

I have found a building...it's like a Factory or something but the door is sealed and says to blast through. So far the Sentinels have left me alone since I haven't been too greedy. But I'm not sure about blasting thru a door what will happen....

...it was funny at one abandoned outpost....I opened the door and a Sentinel was inside and the place was trashed. He flew out almost running me over....
Old 08-13-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Actually, I checked the No Man's Sky website and they said a console restart often fixed the problem. Did one and sure enough immediately got blueprints for a Warp Cell and Antimatter delivered to my character.

Minor crisis averted!
Didn't work for me. I restarted my PS4 twice and still don't have a recipe for antimatter.

Originally Posted by redrum
The fade in bothers me a lot on ps4 other than that i'm enjoying it so far, only on my 3rd system
I love the game, but this is one of my few complaints. Seeing the pop-in and the terrain being generated as you are flying around on the planet takes you out of the experience.
Old 08-13-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the game but would almost have preferred for them to actually create a large number of planets and stick to them rather than have them being generated. I also really do not like how slow you move around the planet to explore. It makes me not want to go too far from my ship and I'm likely missing out on some discoveries for that reason.
Old 08-13-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well my inventory is about packed and my current suit has all the slots taken. I found a online community with over 6000 people and I was seeing posts where people already have 35+ slots? It was cool seeing some pics of what others are seeing though.

I did find feeding the local wildlife pays off getting a lot of the materials I can't find laying around. I'm still showing one thing in my Discovery with lots of ????'s and still finding Shelters and Ruins getting more words in. I do like the puzzles unlocking some of the stuff. I just don't know why some just want to hurry up and take off and fly around.
Old 08-13-16, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't see this anywhere, but something I learned is that when you meet an Alien, you can hit the O key to back out of the conversation without consequence if you don't have the right thing to give them. You can then get it and come back to complete the encounter.
Old 08-13-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

How do you feed the wildlife? I can't figure out how to do it.
Old 08-13-16, 12:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You have to get right up to them and a prompt will appear.
Old 08-13-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How far do you have to travel from your ship to make major discoveries? I don't want to be walking for an hour just to get back there after going over hill after hill and not seeing much just to learn an alien word or to see some strange little creature.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.