Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qMicfYlgjnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-15, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Played a lot last night, died a lot last night and kept going back a lot last night.

I probably spent an hour just at the customize screen alone. The world and atmosphere is really amazing, almost to the point you really want to look in every corner, smash every box & coffin and just look. The sheer amount of detail and little things are really something to see.

I'm in the Bonfire Area and dealing with the townsfolk is no issue...it's Big Fatty...which I'm determine to get down. he's killed me at least 12 times. A few times I managed to deal a backstab but he still got up and took me out. One second off...you're dead.

I've tended to play cautious with all games but here the speed some swing and move has my timing of counter and dodge just off. But I keep going back for more pain and seeing in red "You Died". In the first area I've just kept killing to get the credit in order to go back and buy stuff, including the complete outfit that helps. Plus you need to repair your weapon as well. Not sure when the co-op part unlocks or exactly how but I know I'll need it.
Old 03-25-15, 07:23 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish i had a PS4, i would be all over this game. looks great
Old 03-25-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

How does regain work? Do you have to kill the enemy to gain health back or does just hitting them get your health back?
Old 03-25-15, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
How does regain work? Do you have to kill the enemy to gain health back or does just hitting them get your health back?

The Regain works when you take damage you'll see a yellow bar indicating where in a short window if you counter attack and deal damage you'll gain a portion of your health back. If you don't then the opportunity of regaining health goes away. You don't have to kill the enemy but deal damage. According the DEVs it was put in to more or less force the player to be more aggressive instead of being passive and in defense mode. But at the same time you do risk on taking more damage and dying.
Old 03-25-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones

I'm in the Bonfire Area and dealing with the townsfolk is no issue...it's Big Fatty...which I'm determine to get down. he's killed me at least 12 times. A few times I managed to deal a backstab but he still got up and took me out. One second off...you're dead.
Big fatty (the troll banging on the gate you mean?) is really susceptible to the Molotov cocktails if you get tired of dealing with him.

You can also do some good damage if you interrupt his attack with the gun to stagger him.

I have been running around the bonfire killing people just to level up before I try the boss again, it wasn't pretty.

Running around trying to level up also gets you the added benefit of stocking up on blood vials, silver bullets and Molotov cocktails instead of spending blood echoes to buy them.
Old 03-25-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you's, but not being able to block is making it tough for me.

Originally Posted by Emperor Charon
Think of your gun as your shield once was. You shoot the enemy at just the right time during their attack animation, then move into the proper range, and attack with R1 to get the riposte animation / attack.
Thanks, I will have to work on that.
Old 03-25-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Impulse bought it on the way home from work. Wasn't sure if I was going to open it when I got home. Then, I saw a buddy was playing it so he share-played his game with me. (BTW, share play is really cool! Worked extremely well, no lag or artifacting whatsoever.) I was hooked as soon as the controller was virtually passed to me. Opened mine, patched it, and away I went.

This is my first experience with a Souls type game so I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm just trying to stay alive. The atmosphere, music, environments are so cool and engrossing. I literally jumped a few times when an enemy would pop out of a hiding spot. I didn't even make it to the first boss as I'm kind of lost in the first area and can't make it past a couple of groups of enemies. The character creator has so many options and settings that you could spend an hour getting your character just right. I'm still getting used to the combat mechanics. I don't think I've been able to trigger regain yet. And, my swagger timing (using the offhand) is off too. Finally, I'm playing offline right now. If I play online, does that mean other players can join my game and grief me or is it strictly co-op help?

Can't wait to play more tonight.

Edit: Also, can you bank or store blood echoes when you go back to the Dream like you can other items? Or, is the constant threat of losing them when you die the whole point? (Assuming you can't beat the mob that bested you.)

Edit 2: What origin and starting weapon did you choose? I went Military Vet and the Saw/Blunderbuss. Wondering how the Threaded Cane is.

Last edited by Gooter; 03-25-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Maybe it depends on the weapon, but those big guys are really easy with the ax. You just need to keep hitting him with charge attacks and it will stagger him each time, not letting him attack at all.
Old 03-25-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can the werewolves be killed with molotovs?
Old 03-25-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, they are easy with molotovs.
Old 03-25-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
Can the werewolves be killed with molotovs?
Yeah, they can. Unfortunately the first time I faced them, 2 molotovs weren't enough to kill one, left them with about 5-10% life, and of course I died after using like 6 molotovs on them (missed a few times). Those guys are a bitch.

Apparently it's possible to use pebbles to lure them out one at a time. I only tried once, but it pulled both of them.
Old 03-25-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

After three hours of playing....if you are not a Souls fan this is definitely not for you......and me for that matter.
Old 03-25-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
Maybe it depends on the weapon, but those big guys are really easy with the ax. You just need to keep hitting him with charge attacks and it will stagger him each time, not letting him attack at all.
Yea....you're right. I was trying to get his rhythm down but he does a lunge with overhead or a side swipe. I've hit him with the shotgun to stagger but sometimes it hasn't effected him at all, sometimes it did. But I do need to work on the lunge & charge. it's about the timing as well.

And Gooter...you and me are in the same boat. Just don't get discouraged especially if you're use to playing games where you can "Cheese" a lot to do a level or part of. I haven't much a clue either on this game, totally new but just for some reason(s) I was pulled to it. it's going to be a long, long bumpy ride but I'm looking forward to it. And as to co-op, I believe it unlocks later after you play a certain amount of the first part in single player though I'm fuzzy on the details of just when and where.

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-25-15 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qMicfYlgjnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That review was quite funny. I'm going to check out more of that guy's stuff later today.
Old 03-25-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Sorry if this been asked but do the enemies stop spawning after you killed them dozen of times like Dark Souls 2 ?
Old 03-25-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure I have died at least a dozen times before the first boss and they are all still there, so I don't think they stop spawning.
Old 03-25-15, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
If I play online, does that mean other players can join my game and grief me or is it strictly co-op help?
If you choose to play completely offline, all co-op and invasion play will be cut off, entirely. You'll be able to play without the threat of invasions.

Edit: Also, can you bank or store blood echoes when you go back to the Dream like you can other items? Or, is the constant threat of losing them when you die the whole point? (Assuming you can't beat the mob that bested you.)
Your souls/blood echoes are only able to carried on your person. If you die, they drop, no matter what. The way you worded it is pretty accurate, that's a large part of the "charm" of the Souls games, that you could die from pressing on too far, and not spending/investing your souls, and lose them all.

Edit 2: What origin and starting weapon did you choose? I went Military Vet and the Saw/Blunderbuss. Wondering how the Threaded Cane is.
I chose troubled childhood. Partially for selfish reasons, but, mostly, because it had the highest stamina/endurance at the start....and stamina is one of the most important stats in a souls game. Then, I began focusing on leveling my vitality next.
Old 03-25-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing everyone should do as soon as possible is buy the armor from the merchant. It's so much better than the starting armor, it's not even funny. It's also only about 2000 echo for the full set, and you'll more than double your resistances.
Old 03-25-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I went military veteran and threaded cane.

I really like the threaded cane although it is a bit weaker. I actually spent some shards to upgrade it and I have been putting some upgrade points into my physical attack trait.

The cane/sword is nice and fast for attack and the whip portion is great for crowds. Some of the weaker enemies you can take down 3-4 at a time with just two whips.
Old 03-25-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EM5-42LNqOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
wish i had a PS4, i would be all over this game. looks great
I saw something the other day about a rumored PC port.
Old 03-25-15, 10:29 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stunning. That is all I can say about this game. The same feeling I had when playing Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Also, I don't think I am going to be able to make a build that makes this game easier(like I did in the souls games) it is going to force me to get better...and as I sit here typing this my hands are still shaking from the 4 hours I have put into this already.
Old 03-25-15, 10:30 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, even with a SSD..load times suck...I get some bad drops in framerate and the game while artistically stunning is not a showpiece for the ps4. And all of that means nothing to how amazing this game is.
Old 03-25-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah load times are ridiculous. The devs said they were looking into shortening the loading.

Played for about three more hours tonight. Finally found the head to level up a few times and upgraded my weapon. Still have not found the boss yet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.