Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign

Originally Posted by fujishig
Got the same thing. I haven't played PvP in a while and thought maybe they'd drop me in an easy bracket, but I got hit with a bunch of X-forces (nerfed but boosted, ugh), some of which I underestimated, and only made 300 before I gave up on ranking higher (plus I have no vision).

Since that still made me third in the group, I'll probably be playing around with how to score higher (even at that low number I got hit a few times). Any suggestions? The game is so different now, and being away I already missed like five or so characters, so I haven't had any reason to play beyond tacos, but I'll give it a shot.
The biggest recent change to PvP is that they feature a bunch of characters every week and boost them. It is also now very cheap to level a 3* up to level 120 (like 20something thousand ISO). Your best bet is to level up featured guys to 120. When they are boosted, a level 120 guy is over 166. The main, featured guy is boosted to like 180 something when level 120. So, it's an easy/cheap way to have a lot of usable characters.
Old 05-18-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
The biggest recent change to PvP is that they feature a bunch of characters every week and boost them. It is also now very cheap to level a 3* up to level 120 (like 20something thousand ISO). Your best bet is to level up featured guys to 120. When they are boosted, a level 120 guy is over 166. The main, featured guy is boosted to like 180 something when level 120. So, it's an easy/cheap way to have a lot of usable characters.
Yeah, I saw that suggestion earlier and started boosting guys to 120. However the boosted guys for that week were BP (who I already had maxed), 3* Storm (who I wasn't spending iso on), and some others that I didn't have nearly covered enough to make a difference.

But the matchmaking itself seemed much, much tougher. Do you guys enter earlier to have enough time to climb? At what point level do you start getting hit so much you are pretty much forced to shield?
Old 05-18-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

But the matchmaking itself seemed much, much tougher. Do you guys enter earlier to have enough time to climb? At what point level do you start getting hit so much you are pretty much forced to shield?
That was a change a couple months back. The days of starting a PVP with 1* matches and working up to the truly tough teams are over. Now they just stick you where they think you should be based on your roster. They did adjust a number of the progression rewards down to reflect this, but not enough imho. If there's a PVP with a reward of a character I need, I'll try to join a group in the last 15 minutes and get 1 or 2 covers, but that's about all I can be bothered with these days.
Old 05-18-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I saw that suggestion earlier and started boosting guys to 120. However the boosted guys for that week were BP (who I already had maxed), 3* Storm (who I wasn't spending iso on), and some others that I didn't have nearly covered enough to make a difference.

The matchmaking is much tougher now if you have a decent rooster. Everyone, everywhere is felling that. I see seed teams, then maxed out roosters after 70 points. I still don't shield until 700 at the very lowest. I prefer 8 or 900 for my first sheild. I am baller though

Also, they buffed a ton of characters' health recently. 3* storm is much more useful now that she has decent health.
Old 05-18-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, so am I screwing myself leveling all these guys to 120? Crap.
Old 05-18-15, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I don't gamble if it's a cover I need badly. No telling if you will be the 999th guy in the bracket or the 1st. It's pretty much all I do after I get my 10 pack otherwise.
Old 05-18-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was wondering why I was getting "luckier" then some of you with the late PvP brackets and thought it might be my roster, but I don't think i'm too far off from some of you unless it's because I haven't leveled any of the 4* characters.
Old 05-18-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, so am I screwing myself leveling all these guys to 120? Crap.
Not at all. No one really knows how the matchmaking works exactly. The better your team, the easier PvP is. PvE is likely easier if you keep your guys at a lower overall level. But I never saw the point in that. The point is to play with maxed out toons that have fun and interesting powers.
Old 05-18-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ground out some PVP for my first 10 pack in months. My reward? Nine 2*'s I already had and one 3*. At least the 3* was the last Hood blue I needed. Good news is I'm currently 25th overall for the season. Will try to maintain that so I can be disappointed in another 10 pack.
Old 05-18-15, 08:48 PM

Nine 2s for 1 blue Hood? One hell of a deal!
Old 05-19-15, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They increased the drop rates of 3*s in those packs, so if you have the ability to make top 25, I'd shoot for that.
Old 05-19-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by danfindlay
Nine 2s for 1 blue Hood? One hell of a deal!
Well, 1 more 3* would have been nice. But, it is nice to have Hood fully covered. I'm keeping him at level 130 right now so he stays hidden on the board. I think I can take him up to 140 though and he'll still be hidden at least when he is paired with Thor. Not sure about Black Panther.

@Orangecrush Thanks, good to know. I've been grinding the Sim to pad my totals. Thor, BP and Hood have been rocking it. I can go 3 matches before even thinking about using a health pack.
Old 05-19-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gooter
Well, 1 more 3* would have been nice. But, it is nice to have Hood fully covered. I'm keeping him at level 130 right now so he stays hidden on the board. I think I can take him up to 140 though and he'll still be hidden at least when he is paired with Thor. Not sure about Black Panther.

@Orangecrush Thanks, good to know. I've been grinding the Sim to pad my totals. Thor, BP and Hood have been rocking it. I can go 3 matches before even thinking about using a health pack.
That's a nice team. BP will tank for hood as long as he is higher leveled and in the center.

On the increased 3* drop rates: I got like 4 or 5 golds from my 10-pack. They said that they did increase the drop rates, so I think you just got unlucky.
Old 05-19-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
That's a nice team. BP will tank for hood as long as he is higher leveled and in the center.
On the increased 3* drop rates: I got like 4 or 5 golds from my 10-pack. They said that they did increase the drop rates, so I think you just got unlucky.
Should I fully level Hood then to get him more health? Is BP the only one that can tank for him if Hood is at max?
Old 05-19-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

My 10-pack was pretty decent. 4 golds:

Patch (already maxed)
Kamala Khan
Iron Fist
Squirrel Girl
Old 05-19-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With the Deadpool daily thing I finally got my 5th 3* Captain America Blue. He's finally optimized, it's been so long...
Old 05-19-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gooter
Should I fully level Hood then to get him more health? Is BP the only one that can tank for him if Hood is at max?
I think you want to max out hood because his health is so low. I don't know who else tanks for Hood, but he pairs very nicely with BP, so I wouldn't sweat it. Just only ever run them together and problem solved

BTW: BP will tank for hood if they are both 166 so long as BP is center or left (with hood on the right). I don't think I made that clear before.
Old 05-19-15, 05:03 PM

I haven't found anybody who tanks for Hood yet. He does more damage on blue and yellow than even 3* Cap. pulled a 3* Luke Cage red from a standard token last night, really pumped about that.
Old 05-20-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I got a 3* from a standard token again, finally. Oh boy, it was a quicksilver!
Old 05-20-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Got 2 Psylocke covers using my late PvP entry, but already have Red and Blue maxed for her. Feels weird finally maxxing out 3* people after all this time and having to sell covers.
Old 05-20-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Got 2 Psylocke covers using my late PvP entry, but already have Red and Blue maxed for her. Feels weird finally maxxing out 3* people after all this time and having to sell covers.
Just in time for her to be featured in PvP! Too bad it's blue that is maxed. That is a truly terrible skill.
Old 05-21-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I got Blade green power from a taco today (same as the reward from the 3* wave node in the deadpool daily, so that was nice. Suddenly blade is almost useful
Old 05-22-15, 09:42 PM

I've had a pretty good couple of days:

3* Blade green from DDQ 12th cover 5/5/2 Blade is awesome, considering respec to 3/5/5 if I ever get enough greens.

4* Wolverine X-Force green from Simulator token, 2/2/3.

3* Hulk red from Simulator token, already maxed.

3* Captain America red from day 444 daily drop Heroic Token, tomorrow I get day 445 yellow cover so my second Steve will be 3/2/2 already.

Simulator tokens have been berry berry good to me so I'm kinda pissed that they went away from Normal/Hard nodes. Cut my earning potential in half.
Old 05-23-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pulled a green patch, and purple Blade from tacos today. I'm stuck at 3 yellow from Patch, getting that fourth will be big. I have 1300 HP, so thinking about what cover to buy. I have 2-3 spots taken up by people I am willing to drop so not worried about needing a roster slot.

I am really getting screwed in the simulator, I didn't have a Marvel Now Magneto to start the event. I got 2 of him since the start, but it still won't let me join his essential nodes. I started a ticket with d3.
Old 05-23-15, 10:41 AM

I had that same issue. Find him in your roster and tap him. He will join your team and then you can play the node.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.