Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

cross posting for some help and hopefully more traffic... I posted a single thread but hoping for a bit more input!

i read the VR thread and sadly, it made no sense to me... please try and dumb it down as much as possible! i have no shame in my ignorance

hubby bought a headset and controller that work with his samsung phone (amazon links below).

im trying to see if there are any units like this compatible with an iphone? 12 yr old and 15 yr old that arent super video game tech saavy so i think they would be ok with the same type of quality...

any ideas????

and good games that you would recommend out there for both the iphone and for the samsung phone one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-09-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by krkuhl
cross posting for some help and hopefully more traffic... I posted a single thread but hoping for a bit more input!

i read the VR thread and sadly, it made no sense to me... please try and dumb it down as much as possible! i have no shame in my ignorance

hubby bought a headset and controller that work with his samsung phone (amazon links below).

im trying to see if there are any units like this compatible with an iphone? 12 yr old and 15 yr old that arent super video game tech saavy so i think they would be ok with the same type of quality...

any ideas????

and good games that you would recommend out there for both the iphone and for the samsung phone one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Samsung has a custom VR headset that is built specifically for their phones. This is called the Gear. It was made in partnership with Oculus. That is the company that makes the Rift headset built for PCs. It has extra sensors, and there is no attachment for the iPhone or other Android phones that compares with this. If you're looking for that kind of functionality that your husband has, that's really it for cell phones.

If they have the Pixel, there's the Daydream headset, but again, this is custom for that specific phone currently.

I can't really give you game recommendations since I only have played games on the Playstation VR.
Old 12-11-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ok, i think i have narrowed it down to the following:

Homido HOMIDO1 Virtual Reality Headset for Smartphone
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1P614W8A2SQG0

OR

Merge VR - Virtual Reality Headset for iPhone and Android
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

any thoughts??? pros/cons? any experience with either one?

found out that nephews have an iPhone 5C which will likely cause some pixelation... not sure if one is better than the other though for this or other differences...

appreciate any help with this!~
Old 12-12-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to dissuade you, but I can't believe what they are charging for those things. They offer no more functionality than Google cardboard that I can see. There are no electronics inside them. They are charging what Samsung charges for their VR headset, but with absolutely ZERO reason to justify that cost. I don't think you should be paying upwards of $50 for any headset you buy. Again, these are glorified phone holders.
Old 12-12-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Not to dissuade you, but I can't believe what they are charging for those things. They offer no more functionality than Google cardboard that I can see. There are no electronics inside them. They are charging what Samsung charges for their VR headset, but with absolutely ZERO reason to justify that cost. I don't think you should be paying upwards of $50 for any headset you buy. Again, these are glorified phone holders.
To be fair, the Gear VR retails for $100 and only works with Samsung phones:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/93...gear-vr-design

There's much cheaper headsets available, but they don't get great reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Uniify-Verge-.../dp/B01I0AMWAC

Google Cardboard is interesting as a novelty, but it's not very well put together, and is lacking a strap for long-term use.

Even Google's follow-up to Cardboard, the Daydream View, is $79. There's something to be said for having a VR "phone holder" made with quality materials.
Old 12-12-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
To be fair, the Gear VR retails for $100 and only works with Samsung phones:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/93...gear-vr-design

There's much cheaper headsets available, but they don't get great reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Uniify-Verge-.../dp/B01I0AMWAC

Google Cardboard is interesting as a novelty, but it's not very well put together, and is lacking a strap for long-term use.

Even Google's follow-up to Cardboard, the Daydream View, is $79. There's something to be said for having a VR "phone holder" made with quality materials.
I get that it only works with Samsung phones, but for what you get, and what she's looking to spend on a "phone holder" I can't believe it would cost that much more. Plus, that thing is constantly on sale for $80.

Personally, I think the Daydream View is also very overpriced. However, that actually comes with a remote for that price.

If you have to spend $100, fine, but $150? That's highway robbery. I just can't believe there isn't a relatively decent option for $50 considering there are zero electronics involved with these headsets.
Old 12-12-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have to spend $100, fine, but $150? That's highway robbery. I just can't believe there isn't a relatively decent option for $50 considering there are zero electronics involved with these headsets.
The Merge VR is $59.99

The Homido HOMIDO1 is $54.95
Old 12-12-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I get that it only works with Samsung phones, but for what you get, and what she's looking to spend on a "phone holder" I can't believe it would cost that much more. Plus, that thing is constantly on sale for $80.

Personally, I think the Daydream View is also very overpriced. However, that actually comes with a remote for that price.

I got my Gear VR for like $45 on Ebay, new.
Old 12-13-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Merge VR is $59.99

The Homido HOMIDO1 is $54.95
That's a more fair price. When I clicked her links the prices were $150 and $100.
Old 12-14-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a heads up that I saw Homido VR sets in Target just last night for $35!
Old 12-14-16, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Just stay away from the cheap ones, the FOV on those is just atrocious.
Old 12-16-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my coworkers was looking for a PSVR set and couldn't find one. I thought he was crazy and started looking. It looks like it's pretty much sold out everywhere.
Old 12-16-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it comes in stock and goes out of stock pretty regular.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogamin...playstationvr/

I bought the launch kit on a whim, glad I did now.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-16-16 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-19-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my wife try some of the demos over the weekend and she had a great time with it. But when I put the headset on afterwards I noticed a huge problem. It looks like her glasses scratched the viewing lenses. I didn't actually know that could happen until I started looking online and noticed that a lot of other people were complaining about the same thing. I'm kinda pissed because I got a sealed launch bundle through AWD and if I send it back, they won't be able to offer a replacement. But there is no way I'm going to keep the headset and deal with looking through scratched lenses. I also really don't want to send it in to Sony and get a refurb back in return. This sucks.
Old 12-19-16, 10:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

^ I was worried about the exact same problem with mine. I knew my glasses were touching the viewing lenses, and smudging them, but a quick wipe with the microfiber cloth got rid of that. I started to get paranoid about scuffing and scratching, though, so I started wearing my contacts when I use it. My wife has only used it a couple times, but she never wears contacts anymore.

Damn. I feel your pain. No way I'm letting anyone use it with glasses on now. I wonder if Sony will work out some kind of repair/replacement option. You'd think they thought of this happening before launch.
Old 12-19-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
No way I'm letting anyone use it with glasses on now. I wonder if Sony will work out some kind of repair/replacement option. You'd think they thought of this happening before launch.
A warning is on Page 6 of the manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...UH-ZVR1U_2.pdf
You can continue to wear your glasses while wearing the VR headset. When adjusting the scope position ( page 10), be careful not to let the internal lenses ( page 11) and your glasses come into contact with each other.
Old 12-19-16, 11:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I figured there'd be a warning in the manual, actually
I just meant... making replacement of the lenses easy, if necessary.

iFixit has a teardown...
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Play...Teardown/69341
The lenses are glued in place in their frame, but with a bit of encouragement (e.g. some heat and a good push) they pop right out.

Adhesive is mild, used sparingly, and mostly easy to remove. However, the lenses are firmly glued in place.
That's discouraging. Sure, some could handle it, but it doesn't look like they've written a specific "Lens Replacement Procedure" yet.
Old 12-19-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A warning is on Page 6 of the manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...UH-ZVR1U_2.pdf
That's great and all, but I would imagine it would still be difficult when putting the headset on to determine if it was going to rub against your glasses before it starts to. Think about all of the stations they had set up at Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. What do you think those headsets look like by now? I'm just saying it's poor development on Sony's part not to take that into consideration in a better way. Like by including a spacer or something in the package for people that wear glasses. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised though since they expect you to disconnect the processing box when you want to play games in 4K.
Old 01-03-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Happy New Years all... so I picked this up for my son for Xmas and quickly set it up... and it's amazing! We got the Battlefront VR missions and while it may not be a system seller by itself, it's damn close. I can only imagine how much fun a full VR game of Star Wars would be for a nerd like me. We haven't tried out too many other demos or games yet but overall I'm very, very impressed.
Old 01-08-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Apologies if this has been answered before. I just need a little assurance on something. To anyone who has the PSVR, do you get a motion blur when you move your head? I notice it in games, but really notice it in stationary things, like the main screen. Everything is crisp and clear when I'm not moving but when I move my head, pictures and letters blur up and then will go clear again when I stop. I've done all of the setup stuff, and positioning on my head and whatnot is fine. Lenses are clean. I just wanted to see if the motion blur was normal.
Old 01-23-17, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Anyone know what's up with the PlayStation VR? It's almost February and you still can't find it in the stores! Sony trying to be like Nintendo?
Old 01-23-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Anyone know what's up with the PlayStation VR? It's almost February and you still can't find it in the stores! Sony trying to be like Nintendo?
Just hit up http://www.nowinstock.net/videogamin...playstationvr/ every once in a while.

Gamestop gets more in tomorrow, but they're gouging, other places may as well.
Old 01-23-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Nah it's not like Nintendo at all. What looks to have happened with the PSVR is that the initial launch batch didn't sell through as quickly as Sony thought so they didn't really produce any more. However when Christmas came and it became a hit it caught them off guard and they couldn't supply the demand.
Old 01-23-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, a lot of people were waiting for Launch Bundles to come back into stock. Which didn't happen, and so it went from nobody wanting to buy Core units to realizing that's all there was a few weeks later.
Old 01-23-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel like I haven't seen a lot of marketing for the PSVR since it's initial launch, both the hardware and the games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.