Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Duty: Ghosts (November 2013)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts (November 2013)

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Crazy shit. My nephew and I tried the PS4 version first and we could not see any difference we were disappointed. After the ONE version installed we tried it and saw/felt the difference as soon as the map loaded... Loving the XBOX ONE version.... Looks more detailed, seems to play faster...

seemed like instead of playing the PS4 [$10 upgrade] we were actually playing the PS3 [using disc as key] version instead [on the PS4]
I disagree. When you compare the PS3 vs the PS4 -The PS3 looks terrible. If you sit the PS3 versus the 360 version The 360 looks pretty damn good too.
Especially in the single player.
The lighting and details are better on the PS4 hands down comparewd to last gen . I have yet to see what the Xbox One looks liek side by side with the PS4.
Old 11-27-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
I disagree.
So does Digital Foundry.

Call of Duty: Ghosts - the Digital Foundry verdict

Each next-gen console version has its strengths and weaknesses, but clearly it is the PS4 game that offers a superior experience overall. The advantage here comes in the form of cleaner and sharper visuals that help to better realise the extra next-gen spit and polish on display over the 360, PS3, and Wii U versions of the game - something that Xbox One's upscaled 720p presentation fails to do in quite the same way. However, the Xbox One version has its own charms in the form of a smoother, more consistent frame-rate.

Indeed, the performance impact on PlayStation 4 is something of a disappointment, and those expecting a solid 60fps presentation that closely matches the glory days of the original Modern Warfare are sure to be let down in this regard. In that respect, from a purely gameplay perspective the Xbox One game has the edge, and this translates into a more fluid experience when playing online, with the hiccups seen on the PS4 title restricted to the game's campaign mode. It's an interesting situation considering that while the smoother frame-rate clearly benefits gameplay on the Xbox One, the resolution deficit makes it harder to consistently pick out enemies from a distance compared to the PS4 version - something that is also worth bearing in mind.

If you can throw enough horsepower at the PC version of the game, this offers the definitive experience - but in a world where even a GTX Titan can't run this game at a locked 1080p60 at max settings, it's clear that optimisation is a real issue. The strength of console gaming is that the onus in delivering the best possible performance rests squarely on the developer - and in this case, the PlayStation 4 version gets closest to delivering the high-end experience. While the frame-rate issues aren't fully resolved, the day-one patch improved things considerably, and online play certainly isn't the broken, stuttering mess it is sometimes portrayed as.
Old 12-03-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
I disagree. When you compare the PS3 vs the PS4 -The PS3 looks terrible. If you sit the PS3 versus the 360 version The 360 looks pretty damn good too.
Especially in the single player.
The lighting and details are better on the PS4 hands down comparewd to last gen . I have yet to see what the Xbox One looks liek side by side with the PS4.
+1 PS4 FTW!!!

PS3 looks like garbage and the 35-40 sec wait time for a match is annoying.

Haven't seen the the One or 360 versions yet.
Old 12-03-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually playing this every day.

I tried Campaign, I liked the previous ones I tried, MW, MW2, and BLOPS1, but got bored really soon, so I went back to MP.

I'm playing the X1 version, and for me it's really easy to play in spurts, every match lasts around 10 minutes. So I can play 1-3 matches in 10-30 minutes. I also have FIFA and it takes more time to play any kind of online match.
Old 12-03-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished up the single player on normal and really enjoyed it. Big dumb fun. Reviews said it felt like disjointed action set pieces and I can understand that complaint... but kind of liked it because that meant a ton of cool action vignettes.
Old 12-03-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Kinda has a Red Dawn vibe like Homefront did.
Old 12-06-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So I finally set up my X-Box One. If anyone is playing this on there please feel free to add me, I've never played 360 online so I'm really hoping to grow my friends list. I'm : Runjinrun2
Old 12-06-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

^^ I'll add you
Old 12-06-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ I'll add you
Thanks man! Most appreciated.
Old 12-06-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Thanks man! Most appreciated.
treid to add you via xbox.com and it says your Gamertag is not valid
Old 12-06-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. same here.

I sent you a FR Rob V.
Old 12-06-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yep. same here.

I sent you a FR Rob V.
Cool, accepted.
Old 12-06-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they may have made me put a space in there. Like its: runjinrun 2
I'll check it out once I get home, thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-06-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I think they may have made me put a space in there. Like its: runjinrun 2
Yes, with the space works.
Old 12-10-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

I honestly don't blame people for being tired of COD at this point...I know I am but I must say after beating the campaign in ghosts and playing some multiplayer.....the game reminds me of the first modern warfare.

I love the maps and I'm not sure why people keep saying they're huge...I don't see it - big, yes - huge, no way.

Spawns have not been a problem for me either - I think a lot of people need to get use to the new style of playing. Yes, the chaotic run and gun style is still here but for the most part...you kind of have to take thinks a bit slower (especially after you spawn) - I like this approach.

Camping - well, I'm not going to lie...I love hiding in the trees or shrubs as people literally cannot see you as they run by...I don't do this often but I still love the effect....especially when you're getting your ass handed to you - just run away and hide for a second then go the opposite way.

MW3 was pretty terrible to me - so bland and just way too damn chaotic. Ghosts really feels much smoother and tightened up.

With all the good said though - yes, this franchise needs to seriously step things up a notch overall (i.e. maybe add destructive environments, definitely new and better game modes, maybe add the ability to get into vehicles, etc....).
Old 12-11-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing about the COD dev team is that they know their game. They always go for 60 FPS , and almost zero bugs.

So yeah, the graphics won't be impressing, or as impressing as some other games, same with new features, like destructive environments and that kind of stuff. Check the game lists at any night, most people are playing TDM. So they cater heavily for those people.

I was never a COD MP in the last generation, I was more into Gears of War, and some Halo, talking about shooters, but I've been loving COD MP in my Xbox One, is almost flawless. I only play TDM too, so I have no complaints. And sometimes I go back to the 360 version, and I can see the graphics differences too... and the server differences too.

Next year should be interesting with more competition.
Old 12-11-13, 11:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was looking at the trophies for PS4 and less than 20% of players have completed the single-player campaign.
Old 12-11-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so used to the running and gunning in the CoD franchise that this is a bit of a learning curve. Last night I finally decided to *gasp* camp a bit... it was my first successful match to date (ie more kills than deaths). I noticed serious camping in TDM especially.... so I'm cool with that.

I gotta say that leveling up is a bear though... I would get to level 5 after a game or two in BLOPS2 but I'm only at level 8 after about 2 dozen games in Ghosts.
Old 12-11-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my thoughts on the matter: this is the worst Call of Duty yet. I've always preferred Call of Duty over Battlefield, but this generation I prefer the opposite even if Battlefield 4 is a broken mess regardless of what platform you're playing on.

There are a plethora of issues the multiplayer suffers:
  • The maps are too large for their own good. Call of Duty has always been about chaos as the majority of the game play is 6v6. Maps are small, tight, and you're always getting into action wherever you're in the map. Making the maps nearly triple in size and throwing in a plethora advantage points requires every single person to change their thought process on how to play the game. Strategic game modes like Domination and Kill Confirmed are aggravating as now people do one of two things: camp the points or run and gun. Why do I even play this game? What boggles my mind is the non-conquest modes of Battlefield 4 (like Domination, Team Deathmatch, etc.) have "reduced" the size of the maps from the last outing and feel more in line to what we've seen previously from Call of Duty.
  • The spawn points still have not been fixed. I'll be running around for a minute trying to kill an enemy, I'll be shot and then respawned... on top of an enemy. It's frustrating.
  • There are too many perks and too many gun combinations. Treyarch nailed it with the "Pick 10" system on Black Ops 2. Infinity Ward managed to completely fuck it up.
  • The "Squad Points" suck. Didn't Infinity Ward listen to everyone's complaints with the original Black Ops system? Treyarch listened. Hell, Squad mode sucks too.
  • Thanks for taking out Demolition and Headquarters!
  • Most importantly, it's no longer fun. Whereas Call of Duty was my go to game in the past generation, I've played every other game I've bought instead. I don't even like racing games and I've played more Forza 5 than Ghosts over the past week.
I know I'm not the only one with those thoughts as most of the COD community has written the game off. While over a million units of the game were sold for the Xbox One, I've never seen more than 20,000 players on at once. Usually it hovers around 10,000 if not less. I like Hardcore Domination, but I can barely play it because it takes forever to find a lobby. I would love to play more Blitz and Cranked, but again, not enough people are playing to find a lobby in a reasonable amount of time.

I loved the multiplayer maps of Modern Warfare 3. They weren't the quality of the first two outings, but they blew away Treyarch's past offerings. However, I'd would've paid $60 for a 720p/60 remake of Black Ops II at this point. The campaign is mediocre, but I do enjoy Extinction mode as it's a lot more streamlined than Zombies. Was it worth the $95 I paid for the Hardened Edition? Absolutely not.

With Sledgehammer Games supposedly taking the reigns for the 2014 edition and who were responsible for the multiplayer aspect of MW3, I'm holding out some hope. However, I'm giving them one more chance. With Destiny and Titanfall on the horizon and 343 promising Halo 5's multiplayer will be similar to Halo 2 after Halo 4's backlash, I don't need to buy another Call of Duty to get my FPS fix.

Ghosts has already alienated a chunk of the COD fanbase and if they don't take a fix to the issue, Activision will burn out and kill the brand... just like they did with Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.
Old 12-11-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

I always wish that the single player campaign was a little more open world instead of being so stringent to the story.
Old 12-11-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

@Matthew Chmiel - I agree with alot of your points

Map size is a huge issue. There are 2 or 3 maps that are good and not too big but most of them are really oversized. I think that they were designed for 9v9 matches instead of 6v6. Thats a shame because the best maps from each game IMHO were always the smaller maps where the action was fast (Shipment, Vacant, Rust, Mission, Dome, Nuketown).

The lone DLC map has never popped up as a playable MP map in any pub matches - Really a dumb thing if you ask me.

You can never have enough attachments but the perks are way too varied and not balanced enough. Pick 10 was great but I also liked the leveling up of the pro perks.
I am glad the Tac insertion is gone to keep the cheaters/boosters from having it too easy.
Satcoms are Bullshit. Bring back the UAVs
I love Riley the Dog and I love the Juggernaut Maniac.
I have always said that if all the old maps were available as a DLC pack I would gladly pay through the nose. I am really glad I did not pay for the Hardened edition or the season pass. I am not sure if they can put together DLC that I will enjoy.
Old 12-11-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^ Agreed about Satcom --- it's pointless. Plus shooting UAV's out of the sky was my claim to fame and was about the only way I'd ever get an advanced killstreak reward
Old 12-11-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I know I'm not the only one with those thoughts as most of the COD community has written the game off. While over a million units of the game were sold for the Xbox One, I've never seen more than 20,000 players on at once. Usually it hovers around 10,000 if not less.
Those are around the same online numbers as the PS4, but the users for the PS3 are in 150-200k range. I'm guessing the 360 is the same or more.

So gamers are still eating this shit up.
Old 12-12-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Those are around the same online numbers as the PS4, but the users for the PS3 are in 150-200k range. I'm guessing the 360 is the same or more.

So gamers are still eating this shit up.
Retail sales, not including online or digital download sales:

360: 5.3M+
PS3: 4.6M+
XO: 1M+
PS4: 1M+
PC: 300K+
WiiU: 70K+
TOTAL: 12.8M+

At this time last year, Black Ops II sold well over 15M units in retail.
At this time two years ago, MW3 sold over 17M units in retail.

It's still outselling every video game ever made, but it's not doing as well as the past two outings. It doesn't help that it's fanbase is fragmented six, separate devices and each one provides an inferior experience compared to the next.

Just read the COD and Ghosts subreddit, hardcore fans are already over the game due to the unnecessary changes.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Dipshits.
Old 12-12-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

I have only played multiplayer so far and I have found it to be the most frustrating of all the CoDs. The hit detection (or lack thereof) is worse than ever. I feel like the spawning is also worse than its ever been. I'd say more than half of the time I'm killed it's because some asshole spawned behind me (verified by watching the kill cams).
I hate the squad points method of leveling and upgrading your character. It's taking longer than ever to level and getting squad points is a pain in the ass. It would take forever to unlock everything. Also, when you unlock something, it only applies to that squad member? I have to unlock it again for other squad members? Fuck you Infinity Ward.

I do like most of the maps and the squads feature is pretty neat, but I'm disappointed in this game. And that's not coming from a hater, I've genuinely enjoyed most of the other CoDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.