Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

I would love nothing more than to play as Flash, but it would need a HUGE open world since they need to give you crazy fast speed. The fast running, up/over buildings, etc was done in the last Saints Row game - just do that, but faster!
Old 07-02-15, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, Flash would be great, and imagine what kind of crazy speed fighting moves they could give you.

Green Arrow would be fun but feels like more of the same to be honest, or less of the same since he doesn't even have all the gadgets Batman has.

What they could do is a Suicide Squad game where you had the chance to play as multiple characters throughout.
Old 07-03-15, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Green Arrow would be fun but feels like more of the same to be honest, or less of the same since he doesn't even have all the gadgets Batman has.
Not to mention Green Arrow doesn't really have the greatest rogues.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Daredevil would be awesome in this game engine. I think Daredevil or TMNT are the best candidates for this type of gameplay.
Daredevil would be perfect. PERFECT! Hell, someone could throw a skin on Nightwing, and you're already halfway there.
Old 07-03-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,172 Likes on 914 Posts

That's the problem with a lot of heroes mentioned. There aren't many that have a rogues gallery that's as strong as Batman's. Most of these other heroes mentioned have a couple good villains and a bunch of others who aren't as known by casuals. Spider-Man is about the only hero that really has a rogues gallery that's somewhat comparable. The Turtles would be a decent choice.
Old 07-03-15, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
That's the problem with a lot of heroes mentioned. There aren't many that have a rogues gallery that's as strong as Batman's. Most of these other heroes mentioned have a couple good villains and a bunch of others who aren't as known by casuals. Spider-Man is about the only hero that really has a rogues gallery that's somewhat comparable. The Turtles would be a decent choice.
Flash has a great rogues gallery.

Why does it matter if the "casuals" don't know who the rogues are? There are plenty of lesser rogues in the Arkham games that "casuals" would never have heard of, like Hush, Azrael, Professor Pyg, Black Mask, Anarky, etc. That doesn't stop them from being used effectively in the game. They have in-game bios that explain their backstory anyway.
Old 07-03-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Flash has a great rogues gallery.

Why does it matter if the "casuals" don't know who the rogues are? There are plenty of lesser rogues in the Arkham games that "casuals" would never have heard of, like Hush, Azrael, Professor Pyg, Black Mask, Anarky, etc. That doesn't stop them from being used effectively in the game. They have in-game bios that explain their backstory anyway.
Right but Batman has a lot more characters in these games who are known to a wider audience. All I meant was I think to some degree the fact that he has a strong rogues gallery makes these games sell. People know characters like The Joker, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, etc. The lesser rogues aren't the ones who are being put forth and making the games sell, and the one game that had more unknown villains (Arkham Origins) is regarded as the weakest entry in the series.

I just think if you take a character like The Flash, who let's face it isn't as popular with the mainstream audience to begin with, and who I doubt most non-comic readers could name even one of his rogues that the game may not sell as well.
Old 07-03-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

I'm down to just the Riddler stuff (and the last little chunk of the main story) to get 100%. I didn't sink anywhere near this much time into Arkham Asylum (which I loved, but I didn't feel compelled to do the Riddler challenges) or Arkham City (which I hate-played, generally finding it tedious).

I ran into a pretty crazy bug in the Deathstroke tank deal that worked out in my favor. I was down to one cobra tank and Deathstroke, and I was hightailing it out after blowing up a drone and was near the bridge. All of a sudden, I leap out of the Batmobile and grab Deathstroke. I'm clipped halfway through a pillar that wasn't there, the Batmobile was over the water, and when the mini-cutscene ended, I glitched back onto the street with Deathstroke in the back of the car. Got the achievement and everything. I'll take it!
Old 07-03-15, 10:18 AM
Banned

Right but Batman has a lot more characters in these games who are known to a wider audience. All I meant was I think to some degree the fact that he has a strong rogues gallery makes these games sell. People know characters like The Joker, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, etc. The lesser rogues aren't the ones who are being put forth and making the games sell, and the one game that had more unknown villains (Arkham Origins) is regarded as the weakest entry in the series.

I just think if you take a character like The Flash, who let's face it isn't as popular with the mainstream audience to begin with, and who I doubt most non-comic readers could name even one of his rogues that the game may not sell as well.
Arkham Origins isn't criticized because it used lesser known rogues. That's not the reason at all. The game is criticized because it was buggy, the gameplay was lacking, and it just felt too "me too" because it didn't innovate by adding much new to the series like City added to Asylum.

Also, I think you underestimate just how popular Flash has become recently. The Flash TV series on The CW is popular, and a lot of his rogues have shown up on it. Sure, Flash is nowhere near the popularity of Batman (who is besides Superman and Spider-Man), but Flash isn't as unknown as you think.
Old 07-03-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Arkham Origins isn't criticized because it used lesser known rogues. That's not the reason at all. The game is criticized because it was buggy, the gameplay was lacking, and it just felt too "me too" because it didn't innovate by adding much new to the series like City added to Asylum.
Even so I definitely think that its lesser rogues didn't exactly help it. I know there were other issues and that it very much felt like a quick cash in between games.

Also, I think you underestimate just how popular Flash has become recently. The Flash TV series on The CW is popular, and a lot of his rogues have shown up on it. Sure, Flash is nowhere near the popularity of Batman (who is besides Superman and Spider-Man), but Flash isn't as unknown as you think.
I do realize there is the CW show and that its popular, but still stand by that I doubt many could name a lot of his rogues. I don't think the character in general is to a point where he's going to be selling a lot of merchandise either so a game seems fairly unlikely at this point. I think you could say the same about heroes such as Green Arrow or Daredevil who have recently gained popularity due to a series.
Old 07-03-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Batgirl DLC coming July 14th for Season Pass holders, 21st for everyone else.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...paign=Blogroll

Batgirl: A Matter of Family takes place before the events of Arkham Asylum, and allows players to take on the role of Batgirl for the first time in the Arkham franchise.

It takes place in an all new location, with multiple missions, side quests and secrets. There is also a new hacking mechanic for you to solve puzzles with. Additionally, there is Dual Play functionality with Robin to perform dynamic take down moves.
Old 07-03-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds cool but I don't know if I want to pay another $40 for the season pass.
Old 07-03-15, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've yet to find a season pass I'm interested in. Usually when it comes to DLC I want one or two pieces of content, and the season passes throw in a bunch of fluff (IMO).
Old 07-03-15, 04:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 855 Posts

Finished the main quest. Now working on the extra stuff for the "true" ending. I wasn't planning to do it all, but I'm having enough fun with it that I want to keep going.
Old 07-03-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've yet to find a season pass I'm interested in. Usually when it comes to DLC I want one or two pieces of content, and the season passes throw in a bunch of fluff (IMO).
Yeah I dunno. For the full price they normally don't seem worth it. Plus you know it'll wind up discounted probably by the holidays or so.
Old 07-03-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't pay $40 for the season pass either, but despite the issues with the PC version i'm happy I was able to get the main game and the season pass for $35. Although it sounds like I have to wait for the majority of the PC issues to be ironed out before any DLC is released for that version.

That said, I have plenty to still do in the game in addition to finishing the main quest. I've completed most of the side quests already before completing the main one.
Old 07-03-15, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even so I definitely think that its lesser rogues didn't exactly help it. I know there were other issues and that it very much felt like a quick cash in between games.

I do realize there is the CW show and that its popular, but still stand by that I doubt many could name a lot of his rogues. I don't think the character in general is to a point where he's going to be selling a lot of merchandise either so a game seems fairly unlikely at this point. I think you could say the same about heroes such as Green Arrow or Daredevil who have recently gained popularity due to a series.
Origins got shit on not cuz of the villains. The villains chosen was fine. The gameplay implemented into the game didn't help them or the game. The game couldn't sell itself to promote the uniqueness of the premise it going for. Deadshot and Shiva could have been pretty cool villains to fight. Origins didn't make them interesting. Deathstroke's fight, as cool as I thought it was, could have been better to. It was easy and not much skill aside from timing needed to be in it.

Again... the villains chosen was never the problem. The game was the problem.
Old 07-03-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

My main problem with Origins was the open world - it's version of Gotham was really dull and bland.
Old 07-03-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

Doesn't Flash have pretty much the worst rogues' gallery of any major character?
Old 07-03-15, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
Doesn't Flash have pretty much the worst rogues' gallery of any major character?
Um no, just the opposite. Flash has one of the best rogues gallery in comics. Batman and Spider-Man are of course the top two in terms of rogues, but Flash isn't far behind them.
Old 07-03-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really like the idea of the Batgirl DLC, but I wouldn't buy a DLC pass either. Too much of those seem to be pieces I don't really care about. Not to mention $40 is a little rich for a season pass. I'll probably just wait and buy the story based DLC when it goes on sale down the line. It's not like I'm hungry for more Batman right now, but in the fall? I'll be on it.

I really wish I did the Azreal sidequest stuff earlier. I feel like doing this makes you better at fighting, since you can't get hit. I would love to play as Azreal in some story-based DLC.
Old 07-03-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 417 Posts

Um no, just the opposite. Flash has one of the best rogues gallery in comics. Batman and Spider-Man are of course the top two in terms of rogues, but Flash isn't far behind them.
Yep. Flash's rouges gallery is so awesome they are literally called The Rogues.
Old 07-03-15, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
My main problem with Origins was the open world - it's version of Gotham was really dull and bland.
I liked the snow but it was a very boring design. Add in that graphically I thought it was a visual downgrade from City.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Out of the DC ones? Maybe Supes? Green Arrow? Aquaman?

All the DC heroes have crap compared to Bats' baddies. I think Flash's baddies are extremely fun but they're nowhere near the presence or depth that Bats has for his baddies.
Old 07-03-15, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Yep. Flash's rouges gallery is so awesome they are literally called The Rogues.
Minor nitpick, but that's not completely accurate. The Rogues are just a group of Flash villains who work together to defeat Flash. Not every villain in Flash's rogues gallery is a member of the Rogues.

A similar comparison would be the Sinister Six for Spider-Man. The Sinister Six is a group of six Spidey villains who team-up to take down Spidey. Not all of Spidey's rogues are in the Sinister Six though.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Out of the DC ones? I guess. Maybe Supes? Green Arrow? Aquaman?

All the DC heroes have crap compared to Bats' baddies.
Superman doesn't have a bad rogues gallery at all. Batman, Superman, and Flash easily have the best rogues galleries in DC.

Green Arrow and Aquaman I agree with you. Heck, look at the Arrow TV series. That show steals many of the villains from Batman because Green Arrow doesn't have enough interesting villains of his own. Wonder Woman has a pretty lame rogues gallery too.
Old 07-03-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Origins got shit on not cuz of the villains. The villains chosen was fine. The gameplay implemented into the game didn't help them or the game. The game couldn't sell itself to promote the uniqueness of the premise it going for. Deadshot and Shiva could have been pretty cool villains to fight. Origins didn't make them interesting. Deathstroke's fight, as cool as I thought it was, could have been better to. It was easy and not much skill aside from timing needed to be in it.

Again... the villains chosen was never the problem. The game was the problem.
I agree that the game may have had other problems; although I think people exaggerate how bad that game actually is because it basically is an Arkham City clone with a different story. My main point isn't so much the villains themselves were bad just that they appealed more to fanboys. Batman is a character that can somewhat get away with that because he's popular enough on his own that people will accept it and I don't know that Arkham Origins really flopped it was just viewed as not as good as the other two.

I just think that for other heroes who are lesser known to begin with that not having a strong supporting cast of villains and whatnot may not equal out to a successful game.
Old 07-03-15, 07:27 PM
Banned

I agree that the game may have had other problems; although I think people exaggerate how bad that game actually is because it basically is an Arkham City clone with a different story. My main point isn't so much the villains themselves were bad just that they appealed more to fanboys. Batman is a character that can somewhat get away with that because he's popular enough on his own that people will accept it and I don't know that Arkham Origins really flopped it was just viewed as not as good as the other two.

I just think that for other heroes who are lesser known to begin with that not having a strong supporting cast of villains and whatnot may not equal out to a successful game.
I still think it's silly to list lesser known rogues as a problem with Origins. That game had a lot of problems, and the rogues were not one of them.

Knight is similar to Origins in that regard too with a lot of lesser known rogues.

MAJOR ARKHAM KNIGHT END GAME SPOILERS

Spoiler:
Arkham Knight is Jason Todd. That was a reveal done solely for the comic fanboys. Anyone who isn't familiar with the comics doesn't have the slightest clue who Jason Todd is.

Yet, of all the complaints about the game, that is not one of them. The complaints of the game are too much Batmobile, too much Riddler trophies, etc.

It's silly to think that a game won't sell because nobody knows who the villains are. Well you have to start somewhere you know. You think the Arrow and Flash TV shows got greenlit because everyone was familiar with those characters? Heck no. But those shows have become popular regardless of that and now people are more familiar with them.

You have to start somewhere. You can't just say, "Well nobody knows who these guys are so let's not use them." That's just giving up before you ever even get started. A good story will explain who the characters are. Despite Arkham Knight's identity just being for fanboys, the story did do a good job setting the story up for newbies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.