Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dishonored - New IP

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 01:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: Dishonored - New IP

So, I bought it for $40. I figured it was worth it in the odd chance I end up playing all the DLC.

I'm really liking it so far, but man... it can be incredibly hard... and I've only done one assassination so far. I tried to go all stealth, but it seems impossible at times and I died over and over (which was frustrating, because the load screen takes forever on the 360). I need to use Blink more, but I'm always afraid of running out of power. Killing everyone is much easier... but I don't have much bullet/bolt capacity yet. I was hoping I could pick up used bolts to re-use them, but the game doesn't allow that.

The first assassination, once the guy entered the basement, I just threw a grenade at him.
Old 11-14-13, 09:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Alright, so this game is pretty great.
For my second mission (the one with the two brothers), I went as stealth as I could, and it actually went really well. The only odd thing is, I'm pretty sure that killing rats, as fun as it is, adds to your death count. I barely killed any humans, but my death count was in the high 20's. So, chaos is still "high" for me. I'm hoping I can bring chaos down as I play the game (as opposed to going full-psychopath from the get-go, or full-stealth)

Anyway, I'm glad I bought this. I really hope there's a next-gen sequel.
Old 12-27-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I picked this up during a Steam sale awhile ago, and finally got around to playing it over the last couple weeks. Not too shabby of a game at all, a lot of fun. Runs great on PC, and probably has the quickest load times i've seen in a modern day game which was nice. I've had SSD's for awhile, but this game was especially efficient on my system. Guess not so much on consoles.

I kind of wish I picked a more consistent path as far as stealth or violence, but most of the time I ended up violently killing guards. Some of the options I picked let my targets live, but I guess I killed too many people given the reactions I got at the end. Really enjoyed the different powers, although I really didn't use that many powers or a lot of weapons. Mostly stealth kills. The only thing I wished was that they handled the story a little bit better or more interestingly, but that's a minor complaint.

I didn't think the game was particularly amazing or anything, but a solid 7 or 8. Overall it took me about 13 hours according to Steam; I didn't find all the runes or bone charms, but probably the 85% of them.
Old 12-28-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obligatory, I need to finish this game.

I played it for 2-3 hours. I was never able to stealth, I tried, I tried really hard. But I always ended in a battle.

This was a really bad gaming year for me, since I left a lot of incomplete games.
Old 12-28-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently finally finished it. I started an all-stealth run about a year ago, and never finished it. This time, I went all out, kill everyone. Quite a bit more fun that way, to be honest. Tossing a guy off of a balcony with the wind push skill never gets old.
Old 02-13-14, 09:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck this game.
I mean, I LOVE the main campaign. It's fantastic, and I'll definitely be replaying it.

But the expansion packs DO NOT WORK. Every time I get to the first save point, I get a "Disc Error" message, and the game quits. Thing is... it's DLC, so the disc shouldn't even matter. I checked the disc anyway, and it's flawless. Apparently this is a known issue that seems to affect random people. I'm going to have to delete all my saves and see if that helps. Failing that, I'll have to uninstall then reinstall the entire thing. Not cool.

Instead of playing this, I played Tomb Raider all night. Not a single glitch throughout.
Old 02-13-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Got the GOTY for $29 - I like it a lot - ended up liking it better after I realized that it's pretty much impossible to go 100% stealth, and to =instead do what's easiest and just enjoy the ride, frustration free.
Old 02-13-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% stealth is not impossible at all, but it is a challenge. I did a 100% stealth and zero kills playthrough. It forces you to get creative and use powers you wouldn't otherwise have tried out.
Old 02-13-14, 11:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Yup. I found I got more stealthy throughout the game. I could probably do 100% stealth if I tried really hard. I think I'm up for that challenge.
Old 02-13-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a hard time trying to go stealth. Then again, this one of my games from last year that is still incomplete
Old 02-13-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Shirt currently available from Pop Up Tees:

Old 02-13-14, 01:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

ordered!
Old 02-13-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
ordered!
Same here. Needed a new brown t-shirt anyway.
Old 02-14-14, 09:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So I started from scratch and replayed the prison and first assassination.

Going for 100% stealth is hard as hell... but I love it. I don't think I'll be able to do it without any upgrades, though. There's no way I'm getting 100% achievements on this game anyway, but yeah... playing it stealth is pretty rewarding so far. The hardest part was AFTER knocking out the two guys, where you have to put one in a safe place and the other in the interrogation chair.
Old 02-14-14, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
ordered!
Nice. I went for the Rapture shirt myself. This one was just a little too obscure for me.
Old 02-14-14, 10:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So, I wrote to "Pop Up Tees" to express concern that they wanted $20 in shipping for two shirts to Canada (I was going to order two more today because I had no idea they had more than just the Dunwall shirt...). I paid $10 shipping for the Dunwall shirt, which is high, but fine, because I wanted it. But $20 for two more shirts? Insane. So I wrote them.

They cancelled my order for the Dunwall shirt. Morons.
Old 02-14-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a big fan of the Thief series I found stealth to be pretty easy in this game, unless your talking about not using quicksaves as well.

I ghosted my first playthrough and so for my second I wanted the high chaos ending, but I just don't like the combat in this game so I made up my own "ghost town" challenge: With only Blink 1 and Shadow Kill 1, try to kill EVERYONE without getting detected. This was pretty fun and I only failed in a few places due to NPCS constantly covering each other. My favorite was probably the party level, which was definitely winding down by the time I left a there was only three or four people remaining.
Old 02-18-14, 12:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
so I made up my own "ghost town" challenge: With only Blink 1 and Shadow Kill 1, try to kill EVERYONE without getting detected. This was pretty fun and I only failed in a few places due to NPCS constantly covering each other. My favorite was probably the party level, which was definitely winding down by the time I left a there was only three or four people remaining.
that is brilliant, man. I may have to try that on my third play-through.

As for me, I'm on my second play-through, and just finished the "party" mission. Zero kills, and the only power I have is Blink. This game is as fun, if not MORE fun, when playing this way. There was one point on the bridge level where I hacked the electrocuting light thing and it killed three guys. I thought it wouldn't count toward my death count because I didn't technically kill them myself. I was wrong. Good thing I still had a save file from right before I did that, so I was able to replay that part of the level and continue with no kills from that point on.

I've said it before, but I would absolutely love a sequel or at least another game set in the same universe.

Should we gather for whisky and cigars tonight?
I believe so!
Old 02-18-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Things are bad. Do you think the city could get any worse?
Old 02-18-14, 02:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Do you think you'll get your own squad after what happened last night?
Chances are good!
Old 02-19-14, 11:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

In case anyone missed it in the "deals" threads, this game is now $9.89 on XBL.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d802425307e3

If you haven't played it, you're missing out, and it's easily worth that price.

edit: and... I'm done! Second playthrough complete. No kills. No detection. I love this game.

Last edited by Dan; 02-21-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-09-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 03-09-14, 10:53 AM

That's a surprise.
Old 03-09-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't this one of those games where the DLC gets discounted all the time? I recently finished it and would like to try it out, but it seems overpriced considering how cheaply the actual game can be bought.
Old 03-10-14, 09:37 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redrum
Some people are saying this is fake, but I sure hope it's real. Only disappointment is that the game's not out until 2016. That's insane. Depending on when it drops, it's likely over two years away, and will be way different than whatever they tease us with. Why bother announcing it at E3 this year?

Originally Posted by redcat
Isn't this one of those games where the DLC gets discounted all the time? I recently finished it and would like to try it out, but it seems overpriced considering how cheaply the actual game can be bought.
Yeah, expect the DLC to go on sale again sometime this year. That, or search ebay for the DLC disc from the special edition of the game. Also, it may have just been my system, but I had problems running the DLC from my hard drive. I had to install it on a USB drive for it to stop crashing. Probably just my hard drive dying, but still. That was on the 360.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.