Re: Battlefield Talk (PS3)

Finally! At the top of the heap!

Old 01-31-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Finally! At the top of the heap!
Funny, I was just thinking about rearranging by ace pins.

Minus a little 7-month trip to Afghanistan, I maintain that I'd have hit level 50 last summer.

Huge props for use of Uncle Carl though!
Old 01-31-12, 06:55 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I plan on messaging Kill #3000 and thanking him for being a part of the special moment.

With due respect on the Ace Pins and without detracting from your accomplishment (), we all know being a Medic who works for the team is the surest way to nab the Ace Pin. For me, a phenomenal majority of my Ace Pins come from being an Engineer and that feels really good. A lot of them came by surprise, in fact!

The last two days, however, I've been playing BFBC2 Vietnam for a change of pace and to wrap up the final 100 kills with my M1 Garand to earn the platinum star. Since I don't know the maps well, I've been playing as Medic and sticking close to my squad and/or blueberries. I nabbed at least five Ace Pins through those efforts without breaking a sweat.

Surprised, I'll add, to find every BFBC2 Vietnam map I've been in has been at least 6-on-6 if not more (even played a few 12-on-12 maps). Numbers seem to be picking up on the BFBC2 front though I don't know if they'll ever be back up to where they were before BF3.
Old 01-31-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just have more fun playing medic than other classes. Love healing and reviving, and I love the guns. Moments where I kill the guy or guys who just killed my teammates and then revive them are like crack.

Another 5-6 ace pins tonight and hit 39...also got my second UAV road kill, which is pretty darn fun.

Vietnam is a pretty cool idea, but there were only 2 maps on there that I liked. Phu Bai Valley and Operation Hastings were pretty bad ass, but the other 3 had wicked choke points at bravo and were apparently a sign of things to come with BF3.

I haven't made any real effort to platinum anything or unlock the recon or assault stuff, so I'm missing out on a lot of those points overall, but when I do that kind of thing, it just feels less fun and kind of grindy.
Old 01-31-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I plan on messaging Kill #3000 and thanking him for being a part of the special moment.
I know you think that would be a friendly thing to do...
Old 01-31-12, 10:53 PM

Is that why I would do it? Guess I'm letting the hate mail I get rub off on me. Eh, there's no way I'll be able to keep track, anyway.

As for BFBC2 Vietnam, the two you mention are good and Hill 137 has really grown on me. This may sound strange, but when I first played that map it made me physically ill. Stepping through the glowing embers of a napalmed-to-oblivion jungle left me thinking about the real-life total annihilation of the landscape, the civilian casualties, the entire messed-up situation, etc.
Old 02-01-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hill 137 is OK...just kind of a grind at Bravo since it's so exposed from so many directions...and it's absurdly hard to break out of that burned out area if you ever get pinned in there. Vantage Point is potentially cool, but climbing that hill from either side is a rough go, and most games I'm in go to whoever takes Bravo first. Whatever temple is probably the worst, with Bravo turning into a complete clusterfuck...sort of like the tunnel maps in BF3.

Planning to roll for a few hours tonight if anybody is around.
Old 02-01-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So irritated...having router issues and had to reset my connection...having DNS issues.

Disconnected 3 times tonight, twice during really good runs...including when I dropped out at the end of the night. I had a healthy lead for ace and was one kill from a combat excellence pin. Shenanigans!
Old 02-02-12, 12:17 AM

ZERO STATS SAVED FOR ME TONIGHT.

When we ended a few minutes ago, I checked my stats and everything was as it was before I even started playing. My Ace Pins, Nemesis Pins, Gold Squad Pins, M1 Garand Platinum Star, and all of those grenade kills I had from lobbing 'em up to that 2nd story stack at Charlie on Nelson Bay? Nothing was there. I'm almost too shocked and stunned to be angry. Just sucks on such a good night, both in terms of being fun and doing extremely well.

Here's hoping it's a glitch and it did save.
Old 02-02-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've NEVER played Vietnam with any of you ****monkeys. Always with randoms. One of these nights can we play some Vietnam?

Also, I just got another short story accepted at an online magazine that has some sort of contest for story of the month. Anyone can vote at the end of the month. I expect you jobbers to do your part. Thank you.
Old 02-02-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we'd all be more likely to vote if you actually hung out with us every now and then.
Old 02-02-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes... yes. I needed to take a week off from BF to catch up on the writing I hadn't been doing! Shit. I've got a novel in progress, an ongoing love/hate relationship with a dozen unpublished short stories, four unwritten album reviews and a movie review (a documentary about independent game designers) that all need my attention. And somebody had to finish Arkham City and start Uncharted 3, goddammit. I am but only one man-child!
Old 02-02-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit...barely started UC3 and didn't finish...not a good sign. Wasn't getting into it for some reason.

I was kind of off tonight. I think rolling around with that USAS was throwing me off a bit, and I never really got it together. I was trying to level up my Assault guy just for something new to do. I think on the right maps, I can have some fun with Assault and USAS...or hell, even wookie and USAS.

That one match where we were getting rolled by a whole team of level 40+ guys but still managed to hang on for the win was kind of cool in hindsight but was super frustrating at the time.

And Ogs got my tags.
Old 02-03-12, 09:22 AM

ZERO STATS SAVED FOR ME TONIGHT.
But the P-Network stats tracker finally worked and they showed up. Turned on the game last night and they didn't show up. Played a while and when I finished, they finally showed up. I've had map stats fizzle away when I got disconnected before the save went through but never a whole night's play so I figured something was up but it was still strange, nonetheless.
Old 02-03-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
And Ogs got my tags.
R3 R3 R3 R3
Old 02-03-12, 06:53 PM

Just so you know, friz, your little friend, Gabo Gandalf 8-8 sniped me so I blew him off the hill with the AA Gun. Then I took down his chopper several times and nabbed a Nemesis Pin.
Old 02-04-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure I got his tags at some point and was very pleased about it.

Had a ton of fun with Ogs and Lee tonight in some really competitive games. The highlight of the night had to have been when we parachuted into Nelson Bay with no objectives and down something like 130 to 25. Ogs says "we should try to win it", and I think I said something like "not a chance". The next thing I know, we're all medics and sticking together so we don't bleed too many tickets, and damned if we didn't pull it off with a final score of 4-0. Epic.

Otherwise, it was just a really solid night of Battlefield...tons of fun and added a few ace pins to the collection. It's always good to play with Lee on the rare occasion when he can get on. He's a great communicator.
Old 02-04-12, 01:34 AM

Lee is one of the best.

Nice turn-around, sounds like a lot of fun.

Had to finish a paper and I also have a lot of paperwork for my candidacy meeting that I need to do this weekend so I don't know if I'll be on much or at all.

Trying out that G3 a bit and it's okay, growing on me. Seems like a cross between the M14 and a submachine gun though I still dig the M14 the most. Love that gun. We'll see how long it takes to get another hundred kills / gold star out of the G3 and if it seems like it's taking forever I might find something else, instead.
Old 02-05-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap day in BC2 today...just got worked all day...some super twitchy and super douchey players on, including one dude who constantly hopped...Apache something or other.
Old 02-05-12, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by chess
Crap day in BC2 today...just got worked all day...some super twitchy and super douchey players on, including one dude who constantly hopped...Apache something or other.
Indeed. A rough night last night...
Old 02-05-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Little better today. Had some good competitive games including a last 4-5 that were simply epic.

Best Moment:

I pull a tank up to Charlie on Atacama Desert and see my chopper fighting with the other chopper way back over the other team's spawn. This dude in the chopper "MACK DADDY" had worked our team over the previous round, so I had some animosity. I take a shot at the chopper, leading it a bit and aiming high...just a random shot with no expectations of hitting anything. But the shot was looking good and had a nice arc, and the chopper was so far away, I had time after pulling the trigger to think "Whoa, that might actually....BOOM!...vehicle kill, double kill, and "MACK DADDY" can go fuck himself because he won't get the chopper again this round.

Damn that was a beautiful shot...reminded me of a tank shot I hit on Nic in Warhawk a few years back, except this was even better because of the physics involved.

Last edited by chess; 02-05-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know BF3 has become the red headed step child in this thread, but... the VOIP fix is out today if anyone was interested. And supposedly a new DLC announcement will be out later this week also.
Old 02-06-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully that will fix one of the multitude of problems I have with that game.
Old 02-06-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Game on tomorrow night? I need a good old fashioned Tuesday gaming night.
Old 02-06-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Game on tomorrow night? I need a good old fashioned Tuesday gaming night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.