Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

So I'm guessing Target got the steelbook because they aren't getting any of the pre-order bonuses?

GameStop

Shanty Town Multiplayer Map – zip lines, steep climbs and deadly traps
Tomb of the Lost Adventurer – a Bonus Tomb and rewards

Best Buy

48 page hardback comic book – The beginnings of this adventure written by game writer Rhianna Pratchett
Aviatrix skin – Classic 1930s Bomber Jacket

Amazon.com

The Final Hours of TOMB RAIDER “Director’s Cut” for Kindle Fire
Art of TOMB RAIDER “Amazon Edition”
Hunter Skin – coating of mud camouflage for Lara

Walmart

Digital Download of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Guerrilla skin – jungle warfare outfit

Microsoft Store

1600 FREE Xbox LIVE points
Old 02-26-13, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

conan did is "clueless gamer" review. made me want it just as much as everything else:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-g...ws-tomb-raider

good stuff
Old 02-26-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vballboy51
conan did is "clueless gamer" review. made me want it just as much as everything else:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-g...ws-tomb-raider

good stuff
I don't like Conan, but that was great.
Old 02-26-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Any word on what the best version to get it (system wise)?
This. Gonna go preorder at Best Buy. Any idea of 360 vs PS3?
Old 02-26-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I've pre-ordered thru Amazon... After Crysis 3 I feel a bit gun shy.
Old 02-26-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
This. Gonna go preorder at Best Buy. Any idea of 360 vs PS3?
I am an idiot.

Last edited by SoonerDoc; 02-27-13 at 11:12 AM. Reason: I am an idiot
Old 02-26-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Give Square Enix credit : They let everyone review their game nice & early, got good reviews and probably will see a big bump in pre-orders as a result. Think I'm going to take my unopened Crysis 3 game back to Best Buy and pre-order this instead.
Old 02-26-13, 03:57 PM

Did some research and seems that several sites and comparison videos have the PS3 version looking a little better but at the cost of slight frame rate hiccups. Hmm...
Thanks for finding that....I guess. It's detailed and informative, but it doesn't really help me make up my mind at all!

Watching this comparison video makes me think the PS3 version looks considerably better, though the 360 looks pretty great as well.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/svlHuWlAGvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-27-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
I don't like Conan, but that was great.
sorry for being off topic but his Halo 4 review was great too.
Old 02-27-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Did some research and seems that several sites and comparison videos have the PS3 version looking a little better but at the cost of slight frame rate hiccups. Hmm...

Xbox 360 Review
One of the most interesting cross-platform games to be released in some time, Tomb Raider: Underworld exhibits considerable differences between the two consoles and is one of the few games that puts forward a good argument for offering measurably and tangibly higher performance on PlayStation 3.

Based on our playthrough, it seems obvious that Crystal Dynamics (and its sister studio Nixxes) has leant heavily on its previous Lara code for the 360 game, but has revamped the graphics engine for the Croftster's debut outing on the Sony console. So in terms of owners of Microsoft's box, you're getting the same sub-HD resolution as previous Tomb Raiders Legend and Anniversary (1024x576) while PS3 owners enjoy full 720p - a sizeable increase of 50 per cent in terms of pixel-throughput.

That the two games look as close as they do bearing in mind the gulf in resolution is a testament to how good scaling can be, but the more you play Underworld, with all its superb, intricate details, the more it becomes apparent that the PS3 game looks that much more pleasing, truly making the most of the excellent artwork. The Sony console also has more advanced shadowing techniques on display in sections principally involving Lara's boat, though the obvious differences become moot as soon as you move into any given level. For its part, 360 employs the use of motion blur on Lara's actions - a subtle, but pleasing effect absent from the PS3 game.

Of course, the PlayStation 3's 50 per cent in increase in resolution does come at a cost. While the Xbox 360 version of the game runs pretty much constantly at 30fps (with just the occasional, unnoticeable dip in frame rate here and there), the PlayStation 3 game loses frames at any given point. Dropped frames essentially lead to an inconsistent feel from the controls, as well as an obviously jerkier image on-screen. In terms of the extent of the slowdown, you can be losing the odd frame at practically any given point - in measurements, the frame rate fell as low as 15fps, up against a practically rock-solid 30fps throughout on 360. On average though, you're looking at a 10 per cent drop in frames, so the developer's decision to go with the extra detail was most likely the right one.

In short then, one looks better, one plays better, both are very cool games. The only other dividing factor worth taking into account is the provision of Microsoft-exclusive downloadable content. The first chapter, Beneath the Ashes, arrives soon, with another episode scheduled that shifts the focus away from Lara with an all-new playable character. Whether this new content will end up on PlayStation 3 in some way, shape or form at a future date remains uncertain, but all PR noises from Eidos thus far have indicated that it is indeed a 'real' exclusive.
Just to note, that's a review for Tomb Raider Underworld, released 4 and a half years ago.

From the comparison videos, the PS3 version does look a little better but they both look quite good, I haven't read anything about framerate hiccups on either console.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-27-13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm tempted to get this on PC, since I can order it for $36. No PC specific reviews that I could find though.
Old 02-27-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Just to note, that's a review for Tomb Raider Underworld, released 4 and a half years ago.

From the comparison videos, the PS3 version does look a little better but they both look quite good, I haven't read anything about framerate hiccups on either console.

The bright side is that the PS3 videos definitely look better, at least to me. If there is no frame rate issues to speak of the PS3 seems the way to go. Makes decision easier.

Bad news is I apparently have a 2nd grade level of reading comprehension.

I am an idiot.
Old 02-27-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 02-27-13, 01:22 PM

I'm very tempted to go preorder at best buy. I let my gamer club subscription lapse so i'd have to redo that. though i've now found out that they are apparently changing their price match policy to 15 days from 30/45 (silver). that limits my desire to buy it right away again, as i likely won't get to it right away.

decisions decisions....
Old 02-27-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by vballboy51
I'm very tempted to go preorder at best buy. I let my gamer club subscription lapse so i'd have to redo that. though i've now found out that they are apparently changing their price match policy to 15 days from 30/45 (silver). that limits my desire to buy it right away again, as i likely won't get to it right away.

decisions decisions....
I think for silver members it doesn't go into effect until beginning of april.
Old 02-27-13, 01:46 PM

The bright side is that the PS3 videos definitely look better, at least to me. If there is no frame rate issues to speak of the PS3 seems the way to go. Makes decision easier.

Bad news is I apparently have a 2nd grade level of reading comprehension.

I am an idiot.
Good thing you didn't choose a career path that requires you to pay close attention to details.

That said, I missed it too.

PS3 for me then.
Old 02-27-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Sucks that the Collector's Edition isn't eligible for the BB $20. That is pretty stupid.
It is according to link under the rewards page.
Old 02-27-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Good thing you didn't choose a career path that requires you to pay close attention to details.

That said, I missed it too.

PS3 for me then.
I was soooo focused and dialed in on the differences between the versions. Like the dancing gorilla. Did you see this article from a couple of weeks ago? That's me and the Tomb Raiders.

http://www.rocketnews.com/2013/02/wh...cing-gorillas/
Old 02-27-13, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
It is according to link under the rewards page.
It's on the same pre-order flier. I'm sure it is eligible for the rebate. I just don't think I want to spend another $40 for a Lara statue to park on my office shelf next to Nathan Drake, Max Payne, Ratchet & Clank and (soon) Kratos.

I was soooo focused and dialed in on the differences between the versions. Like the dancing gorilla. Did you see this article from a couple of weeks ago? That's me and the Tomb Raiders.

http://www.rocketnews.com/2013/02/wh...cing-gorillas/
No I hadn't seen that article. That's pretty funny.

Last edited by Decker; 02-27-13 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I pre-ordered online a few days ago and the product page didnt have the $20 bonus offer like the regular version does.
Old 03-03-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Pre-Loading on Steam. Can't wait to play this.
Old 03-04-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I chose release day shipping from Best Buy, yet my copy hasn't shipped yet. Doesn't look good for tomorrow
Old 03-04-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Getting the steel book for 360. The two versions don't have that much of a difference from what I've seen. At least nothing that I'd care about.
Old 03-04-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm just glad to be stoked about a game getting surprisingly good reviews. Lately, it seems that we've been surprised in the opposite direction.
Old 03-05-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Game looks gorgeous on PC, but my GTX 570 can't handle the fancy hair effects and barely the high 2560x1440 resolution at Ultra video settings.

Played for about an hour, some great looking scenery although not a whole lot going on in the game yet except from going from point A to B. Some of the quick time events early on feel pretty predictable.

EDIT: And a little further along, so far less action then Uncharted and it feels like more exploration around the locations, since you're looking around to salvage parts or kill animals for XP and material to upgrade your gear. I like that aspect of it so far.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-05-13 at 02:45 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.