Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

I would definitely wait for the civil war quest until the end. Slight spoiler but while you can do it any time the NPCs just don't react as would expect them to following the end of war. You go back to these towns on other quests and its like it never happened.
Old 07-27-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

Yeah, there's a cool mission in the main quest that gets skipped if you get too far into the civil war questline first.
Old 07-28-14, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I liked the game, but I honestly thought the dragon encounters became overly annoying and way too frequent, especially after beating the main dragon. It seemed like every time I wanted to fast travel a dragon or two would appear. It made me quit playing.
Old 07-28-14, 07:36 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got this back at release and I have put only a couple of hours into it. I don't know what it is exactly I didn't like but i was bored to death. A big thing that turned me off was travel time. I remember having to do alot of walking to get to some of the quests at the beginning. I have limited gaming time nowadays with 2 young kids so I don't want to spend my time walking trying to get somewhere. Maybe there is fast travel a little later?
Old 07-28-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been playing through this again with some mods on the PC and it's like an entirely new game. It's certainly keeping my interest more than anything on the newer consoles... which is a damn shame, because my PS4 will go back to collecting dust until Destiny is out.
Old 07-28-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What mods are most of you PC guys running? I picked up the base game during the summer sale and looking through Nexus, good lord there are a lot of mods. I think I've installed 'the patch' and a few of the graphical ones, but what are the other must haves?
Old 07-28-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 938 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i got this back at release and I have put only a couple of hours into it. I don't know what it is exactly I didn't like but i was bored to death. A big thing that turned me off was travel time. I remember having to do alot of walking to get to some of the quests at the beginning. I have limited gaming time nowadays with 2 young kids so I don't want to spend my time walking trying to get somewhere. Maybe there is fast travel a little later?
There is plenty of fast travel available later on which made the game seem too small for me. I miss the days of Morrowind where you actually had to look around to find the dungeons you wanted and had to think about how to get to places (between Mage guild warping and Silt Striders).
Old 07-28-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wlj
For me, half the fun of the game was just randomly exploring the world while looking for where to go and finding random places that aren't part of any quest. But doing it on horseback, of course.
Old 07-28-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Dude
What mods are most of you PC guys running? I picked up the base game during the summer sale and looking through Nexus, good lord there are a lot of mods. I think I've installed 'the patch' and a few of the graphical ones, but what are the other must haves?
If your computer can support it, definitely add a few of the high rez graphic mods (towns, waters, lighting, weather, skies) and some more immersive mods (like armors, weapons, patrols, etc.) ... but there's some real fun to be had in the user-created quests:

Dragon Break
Falskaar
Dark Brotherhood Resurrection
Wyrmstooth
and so on...

The Deadly Dragons mod is great fun although a little frustrating until you level up.

These work well with the mods I've installed, so I caution others to check in on what they have installed before adding any like these.
Old 07-28-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My list of mods:

Realvision ENB
Monster mod
Audio overhaul
Quiet Dungons
Bigger trees
TreesHD
Vivid Landscapes
Camping kit for the Northern Ranger
Immersive patrols
Shooting stars
Skyfalls and windmills
Grass on steroids
Serious HD retexture
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Project Reality - Climates
Cinematic fire effects
Dust effects
Pure waters
Static mesh improvement.
Frostfall
Wet and Cold

*edit to add a few more*

Immersive weapons
Skybirds
101Bugs
Skyui
Locational damage
Merry Taverns
RealShelter
Immersive travelers
Immersive Battles
Immersive Brigands
Immersive Mercenaries
Climates of Tamriel

Last edited by covenant; 07-28-14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I used fast travel for a few times but it felt like cheating to me and the world is so nice to wander around. Plus you can do a lot of harvesting if you don't fast travel. It's also a good way to gain more exp with more monsters to fight.

I have only one mod installed and that's disable fast travel. Once I finish my vanilla playthrough I'll be downloading some Mods. My first mod will be Falskaar
Old 07-28-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
If your computer can support it, definitely add a few of the high rez graphic mods (towns, waters, lighting, weather, skies) and some more immersive mods (like armors, weapons, patrols, etc.) ... but there's some real fun to be had in the user-created quests:

Dragon Break
Falskaar
Dark Brotherhood Resurrection
Wyrmstooth
and so on...

The Deadly Dragons mod is great fun although a little frustrating until you level up.

These work well with the mods I've installed, so I caution others to check in on what they have installed before adding any like these.
They have an Arena Faction Mod that's supposed to be awesome. Also there's a crazy Super Mario Brothers Mod that looks insane. Have you found any Zombie survival Mods? They had one for Oblivion.
Old 07-28-14, 04:10 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
For me, half the fun of the game was just randomly exploring the world while looking for where to go and finding random places that aren't part of any quest. But doing it on horseback, of course.

I used to like that too. I played oblivion years ago and enjoyed doing that, however my gaming time was very high. Not so much now with a baby and toddler
Old 07-28-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I just picked this up during the summer sale and am getting into it, I'm level 15 now, running a two handed mace barbarian build. I pretty much kill things in just one or two hits, it's pretty amusing. How do I obtain a horse? Also I think you can buy a house in Whiterun for 5,000 gold, should I do this as soon as possible or are there alternative options in other cities?
Old 07-28-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
How do I obtain a horse?
You can buy one - but nothing beats the horse you get when you finish the Assassin's Guild quest line.
Old 07-28-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

You can buy one - but nothing beats the horse you get when you finish the Assassin's Guild quest line.
What's special about that horse?
Old 07-28-14, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's special about that horse?
He's invincible and looks awesome:

Spoiler:
Old 07-28-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just use summon Arvak. No wasted time looking for a horse and if it dies falling off a cliff I can re-summon it.
Old 07-28-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
They have an Arena Faction Mod that's supposed to be awesome. Also there's a crazy Super Mario Brothers Mod that looks insane. Have you found any Zombie survival Mods? They had one for Oblivion.
Nothing like that... I might be into a zombie mod, but I can't get into anything that changes the "spirit" of the game. There's a mod out there that will change the dragons into old school WWF wrestlers.

Huge image:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Oliver Clothesoff; 07-29-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's also a Thomas The Train Dragon Mod lol
Old 07-28-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Nothing like that... I might be into a zombie mod, but I can't get into anything that changes the "spirit" of the game. There's a mod out there that will change the dragons into old school WWF wrestlers.
Agreed. While I like a lot of the mods (like the graphical enhancements), I feel that shit like this just cheapens the game, and keeps me from getting into it.
Old 07-30-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I started playing this game recently, as well, after picking it up on the steam summer sale.
I'm playing a wood elf thief character. sneaking around, sniping with my bow or attacking with dual wield daggers. I barely know what i'm doing.
I wish there was a way to bind a weapon to an off hand. I had favorite and hot key a dual weapon set up that will work between going to bow/arrow and back but if i cast a spell, i cant get dual wield back via hot key again.
Where is the quest line to start the Assassins guild? I just got in the Thieves Guild and am in the guild that fights the Silver Hand guys.
Old 07-30-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I started playing this game recently, as well, after picking it up on the steam summer sale.
I'm playing a wood elf thief character. sneaking around, sniping with my bow or attacking with dual wield daggers. I barely know what i'm doing.
I wish there was a way to bind a weapon to an off hand. I had favorite and hot key a dual weapon set up that will work between going to bow/arrow and back but if i cast a spell, i cant get dual wield back via hot key again.
Where is the quest line to start the Assassins guild? I just got in the Thieves Guild and am in the guild that fights the Silver Hand guys.
You'll come across a Jester with a broken wheel that needs fixing. Once you do that the Dark Brotherhood quest line should start.

And If you wanna hold off on the Main quest make sure you at least get up to the point where you meet the Greybeards. They teach you a shout that
Spoiler:
Makes you run super fast for a short time.
Old 07-30-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

I just picked this up during the summer sale and am getting into it, I'm level 15 now, running a two handed mace barbarian build. I pretty much kill things in just one or two hits, it's pretty amusing. How do I obtain a horse? Also I think you can buy a house in Whiterun for 5,000 gold, should I do this as soon as possible or are there alternative options in other cities?
That sounds like my character, except I favored the two-handed hammer (like you, I picked this up during a Steam sale and just got around to finishing it this summer).

Most cities have a house you can purchase. But I highly recommend getting the Whiterun one as soon as you can afford it. It's the cheapest. Having a place to stash your stuff is critical. Even when I bought other houses, Whiterun stayed my "home" throughout the game. The city is centrally located in Skyrim, and Breezehome is really close to where you pop up fast-traveling to Whiterun. And if you're into Smithing, there's a set-up you can always use right next door.

And if you like the other houses more, you can always move. Later in the game, 5,000 isn't going to seem like much money. And I think you'll get your money's worth out of Breezehome in the meantime (even if you do decide to move your home base).
Old 07-31-14, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I played the game for the first time in a while a couple of weeks ago. My character is level 71 and its amazing that i was still finding new things to do. I want to get to Level 80 just so i can fight the Ebony Warrior.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.